PDA

View Full Version : Psychology Books That Are Applicable To Poker

TRBNGR
09-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Im looking for some good suggestions for psy. books that would be/are applicable to Poker. If anyone knows of a good choices please post'em.

BluffTHIS!
09-08-2005, 02:17 PM
The Psychology of Poker by Dr. Alan Schoonmaker (2+2)

Poker, Sex & Dying by Juel Anderson

P$ychology of Poker P$ymplified by David Whalen

Aceshigh7
09-08-2005, 02:42 PM
It's targeted towards trading, but the book "Trading For a Living" by a psychologist named Alexander Elder is very applicable to poker. Expecially money management and learning how to make the best play and not be results oriented. It is one of the most expensive books ive ever seen though ($75.00 cover price!).

KramerTM
09-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't know the exact title, but Howard Lederer swears by a Zen Buddhism and Archery book that has helped him to stay in the moment.

Crix
09-08-2005, 05:08 PM
There's a book published in England called "The Book of Tells" by Peter Collett that's quite good. Suprisingly, despite it's title, it has nothing to do with poker. It's a psychological approach to reading body language. Peter Collett became famous in England as a TV psychologist for the show "Big Brother".

All in all, not a bad read.

TaoTe
09-08-2005, 06:40 PM
It's called Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel. Also, look for Telling Lies by Paul Elkman and his other works about facial and body language. Apparently, he and his mentor developed a thought reading system based on facial movement. I've read only little about it but it comes from good sources (my mommy, j/k) and if someone were to put in the time I don't doubt it could be helpful while playing poker.

MyTurn2Raise
09-08-2005, 06:48 PM
"Sources of Power" by Gary Klein

anything by Paul Ekman, but I especially liked "Emotions Revealed"

"Strangers to Ourselves" by ??Timothy something

Maybe even "The 48 Laws of Power"

mosquito
09-08-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Psychology of Poker by Dr. Alan Schoonmaker (2+2)

Poker, Sex & Dying by Juel Anderson

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, having re-read the Whalen book recently, I would
take it off the list (for most people) as it contains
some 'errors' that could be costly to someone who does
not know better.

The other books I agree on.

mosquito
09-08-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's called Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel. Also, look for Telling Lies by Paul Elkman and his other works about facial and body language. Apparently, he and his mentor developed a thought reading system based on facial movement. I've read only little about it but it comes from good sources (my mommy, j/k) and if someone were to put in the time I don't doubt it could be helpful while playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Applying this book to poker (Ekman) takes some effort. For many
that effort should be put elsewhere first. But the info
is very good.

TRBNGR
09-09-2005, 09:10 AM
I couldnt find alot of info on the Whalen book on Amazon. As you have read it, would you mind giving a quick overview of whats covered, and what flaws you found in it.

mosquito
09-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Whalen is ex-military (ret.) and by his own accounts a
succesful player (I will not attempt to refute).

His writing style is 'folksy' and full of quaint sayings
that have some applicability, but are best "taken with a
grain of salt."

The book is not in front of me (in a different state) but
I recall a couple of strategic errors as well, at least as
written. Many strategies are applicable in specific
situations, his situations were not well defined and therefore his advice somewhat dangerous.

An experienced player capable of getting thru the
'minefield' can pick up some useful things. This
may be most true with the psychology aspects.

So the book is not without value, just don't
approach it like a 2+2 book where everything can
be assumed to be accurate (even if the writing may
be poor).

09-09-2005, 07:33 PM
I just finished listening to an audio book which I got from the local library called Blink (http://www.gladwell.com/blink/index.html). I thought it was very informative.

tek
09-14-2005, 12:53 AM
I wasn't impressed by this book. There are better written and less expensive books that will provide more enlightenment on both poker and trading.

Brad22
09-14-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"Strangers to Ourselves" by ??Timothy something

Maybe even "The 48 Laws of Power"

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you summarize these briefly as applied to poker?

mike4bmp
09-14-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im looking for some good suggestions for psy. books that would be/are applicable to Poker. If anyone knows of a good choices please post'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classics on Strategy and Counsel by Thomas Cleary
The Art of War with complete commentaries
The Book of the FIve Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
Warrior Zen by ?
Existential Phenomenological Perspectives in Psychology by Valle and Hallings (heavy reading...you have to subscribe to Existentialist philosophy to buy this theory though...it works for me...somewhat)
Tao Te Ching with commentaries...also any works by Chuang Tzu and other later Taoist philosophers...

smarterthanyoda
09-21-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've wanted to buy this book, but it's out of print and I haven't found it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get a copy?

To the OP, the most valuable book for me was "Emotions Revealed", by Paul Ekman. Seeing a player flash "worried" when the third of a suit comes or "excited" when the board pairs has been invaluable. On his website, he sells a cd called SETT/METT that trains you to read expressions, even when someone is trying to hide them.

On the don't waste your time list, stay away from "Beyond Tells". The author sets up an interesting foundation for evaluating players, but doesn't take the step into doing anything useful with that information. Additionally, there is tons of bad strategic advice that could mess up your play.

chekthastak
09-24-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the don't waste your time list, stay away from "Beyond Tells". The author sets up an interesting foundation for evaluating players, but doesn't take the step into doing anything useful with that information. Additionally, there is tons of bad strategic advice that could mess up your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for posting this, I was very close to purchasing it a couple of weeks ago, and decided against it. Seems I made the right decision.

amulet
09-24-2005, 11:44 PM
in addition to the books mentioned, inside the poker mind has several parts that address psychology. the author john feeney is a professional poker player with his phd in psychology. it is also a terrific poker book.

09-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Zen in the Martial Arts - Joe Hyams

/images/graemlins/diamond.gifDave