My son loves it. He is 2

jacki
09-08-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
signing time

web page (http://www.signingtime.com/)
My son loves it. He is 2

[/ QUOTE ]

It's great, if you want to delay your child's verbal development, and increase the chances of missing a hearing disorder.

09-08-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
signing time

web page (http://www.signingtime.com/)
My son loves it. He is 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that?

It's great, if you want to delay your child's verbal development, and increase the chances of missing a hearing disorder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that? Do you know what you are talking about or you talking [censored]? I was told it was good for kids. My wife told me. I am not sure were she read it but she is good about things like this

jacki
09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kids learn to speak because it's the only way they have to communicate with people around them.
But if they can communicate another, easier, way, they'll do that. Hence, less speaking, which delays verbal development.

And if your kid has a hearing problem, but learns sign language, you'll be less likely to notice the hearing problem.

09-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Thank you for the post I will look in to it more this is something I did find

Language and Communication Skills
A number of studies have shown that signing with a child at an early age may:
encourage the development of speech
help with language development
improve communication skills
increase learning ability
raise IQ

These studies are based on some pretty logical conclusions. To begin with, the development of motor control begins at an earlier age than a child's speech apparatus. Because of this, infants can imitate a gesture much sooner than they can imitate a vocalization.
In fact, some children have been known to imitate a sign as early as 6 months. Once a child starts to sign back and forth with a parent or teacher he will begin to pick up on the reciprocal patterns of communication. Signing takes on more and more meaning and the child really starts to understand how communication works. Grasping these basic concepts at such an early age may actually stimulate both expressive and receptive language. So signing becomes a fun, rewarding activity that fosters a solid foundation for several aspects of speech and language development.

Lumpy
09-08-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kids learn to speak because it's the only way they have to communicate with people around them.
But if they can communicate another, easier, way, they'll do that. Hence, less speaking, which delays verbal development.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. We used sign language with both of our children as infants. Our oldest was putting together 4 and 5 word sentences by about 16 months.

youtalkfunny
09-09-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
signing time

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit, I thought you said SINGING time. I figured the link was to a kids' karaoke site.

The rest of the thread puzzled me.

Jack of Arcades
09-09-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that?

[/ QUOTE ]

And if your kid has a hearing problem, but learns sign language, you'll be less likely to notice the hearing problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The trick is to still communicate to your child verbally when teaching him how to sign. Children can communicate at an early age but do not have the motor skills to do so verbally. This increases their communication skills and speeds up their development verbally because now they can more quickly associate words to concepts.

gmrankin
09-09-2005, 06:05 AM
I used these DVDs with my 2 (now 3) year old. Very well done. They do work - as long as you learn them too! They are much better than alot of the other "baby einstien" type videos out there.