PDA

View Full Version : Ray Zee, I found something you may want!

Mark Heide
04-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Ray,

Christies is auctioning 600 Picasso lithographs this Monday. I will act as your agent. Just give me about $4M. I'll return the balance. Here's the link, pick what you like:

http://www.christies.com/promos/apr03/1322/overview.asp

Good Luck

Mark

Ray Zee
04-26-2003, 12:52 AM
i dont want litho's very much sorry mark. but if you can get me 600 originals i will send you the 4 mil. just for the steer. many years ago i had a chance to buy a few original paintings, small ones though. i missed the chance. but i must confess i might have sold them and never got to enjoy. nowadays i would die with them.
p.s. the pizza situation in northwest montana is bleak. its been so long since i have had good pizza i am afraid i couldnt tell what it was anymore.

John Cole
04-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Ray,

I shocked, shocked I say, that good pizza remains unavailble in northwest Montana. Visit Rhode Island--for the pizza alone.

John

John Cole
04-26-2003, 09:31 AM
Mark,

I heard or read once that Picasso used to whip off drawings as tips for his paperboy. I hope he saved them.

One more note: PBS recently ran a documentary about Daley, Picasso, and his sculpture in Chicago. The planners met with Picasso a number of times, wooed him, and convinced him to design the sculpture. Each time they met with him they brought gifts, and Picasso seemed genuinely flattered by the attention. After he had finished his design, the representatives gave Picasso a check for $100,000.00. (They had never said a word about a price, nor had Picasso.) Picasso looked at the check, handed it to his wife, who then handed it back to Picasso. He continued to look at the check, and the planners thought they might have insulted him by paying too little. Picasso then handed the checked back and announced that the design was his gift to the City of Chicago.

It made for a great story about the city itself and two of the 20th century's dynamic characters. (Daley very much approved of the work.)

John

Mark Heide
04-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Ray,

I thought you might want to decorate your cabin. If the bears break in they could distroy the originals, you would be better off with lithos.

If you want pizza, you will need to take a trip east of the Mississippi.

Mark

Mark Heide
04-26-2003, 04:33 PM
John,

I saw that program awhile back and don't remember it too well, but I am sure there was some controvery about putting it where they did. Do you know anything about this?

But, it could have been the Miro sculpture.

Anyway, this past year the business district has been complaining about Daley junior contracting a French company thats putting up bus benches so Michigan avenue looks like the streets of Paris. The business are complaining that it is blocking their store displays.

Mark

John Cole
04-26-2003, 10:51 PM
Mark,

Controversy did envelop the project, especially when Chicagoans saw what they got, but Daley fully supported the project, and I think the people of Chicago rather like their Picasso now.

John

John Cole
04-26-2003, 10:53 PM
Here in Rhode Island, one of our recent displays of "public art" featured Mr. Potato Head scupltures. Go figure.

John

ACPlayer
04-27-2003, 08:49 AM
If you want pizza take a trip east of the Atlantic!

Phat Mack
04-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Well, let's face it. Rhode Island has never had the reputation for sophistication that Chicago enjoys.

scalf
04-27-2003, 02:33 PM
/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif yeah, but da mob wants good pizza, ya see, dey get good pizza, every time, er you outta da bizness.....yes????

lol

gl /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mark Heide
04-27-2003, 08:30 PM
ACPlayer,

If you're going to go that far you need to be more specific.

Mark

Mark Heide
04-27-2003, 08:34 PM
John,

I think they were referring to the "uncultured elite" of the Gold Coast.

Mark

ACPlayer
04-27-2003, 08:50 PM
At the risk of being chastised the best cheesy pizza i had is where the cheeses are the best -- Paris. Small shop in the Marais - yummm. Gotta plan another trip there soon -- and of course poker at Aviation.

And of course italy (contrary to popular belief pizza came from there to the US and not the other way around) - with great meats and light sauces and herbs - and no CA olives!

The dough is different, the sauce is diffferent and the cheeses are different -- and absolutely no risk of canned mushrooms (yuck).

You can of course get great pizza in NY. Place in Morningside heights where i have been a few times is pretty good.

Mark Heide
04-27-2003, 09:07 PM
John,

The situation in Chicago is getting much worse under the current administration. Since, the "dot.com" bubble burst one of the public radio stations went private and changed from a classical radio station to "hee-haw" country music. The most well known public TV station WTTW has been dumbing down due to corporate influence, but we are still lucky to have an alternative called the WYCC (Your City Colleges) TV station. Furthermore, the only free major symphonic music festival in the USA is the Grant Park Symphony, but has been dumbing down since Hugh Wolff left as its director in the '90s and went to Europe, but at least they have Maximiano Valdes who's been invited for many years now. Across the street from Orchestra Hall is the Art Institute. After you're through with that you can get a real pizza at Exchecker Inn a block away.

Mark

nicky g
04-28-2003, 09:53 AM
Best pizza I ever had was in Rockville, outside DC (where the sniper attacks were). In a non-descript place in a dull strip mall. But it was very good. John's pizzeria in Greenwich village was pretty good too. If you're coming East of the Atlantic you can skip Britain (and Ireland, for that matter) - no good pizza at all at all at all. They have no clue here. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Mark Heide
04-28-2003, 02:43 PM
ACPlayer,

My sister was in Italy two years ago and she said the pizza was great. She's very picky, so I trust her opinion.

Mark