PDA

View Full Version : Missed bets with turned boat?

superpoe
04-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Typical loose passive 2-4 CP table. UTG calls, UTG+1 calls and everyone folds to the sb who completes. I look down and see pocket 3's and check.

Flop comes Ah 3s 5s Sb checks and I bet. Everyone calls.

Turn puts the 5d on the board. Sb leads out and I call thinking a raise would knock out the other two players. To my dismay, UTG folds and UTG+1 calls.

River is the Jh. Sb leads again and I raise. UTG+1 calls and so does the sb. I take it down. Sb showed 59o.

In retrospect, I think I could have gotten another couple of big bets had a raised the turn. I think this is a prime example of trying to be too trickey for such a loose passive game.

Comments on all streets are appreciated.

MRBAA
04-25-2003, 07:31 PM
I would have raised, but not so much to knock out players as to make them pay to draw. Why let those trip fives draw cheaply to a nine or a second (non-three) pair on the board to beat your full house?

travisand
04-25-2003, 07:34 PM
The lower the limit the less tricky you need to be.

In this instance however, I don't think you missed out on any bets. Had you raised the turn they sb would have just checked to you on the river so you wouldn't have gotten any extra bets in anyway.

I would probably have raised the flop instead and went on from their, especially with a flush draw on board.

dux
04-26-2003, 02:52 AM
He bet the flop I think.

Bob T.
04-26-2003, 04:05 AM
I think that with a bunch of draws out there, you should probably raise the turn. You could charge them while there draws are still live, and if they get there, you could charge them again for drawing dead and getting there.

One other thing to consider, is that on this hand, you have a full house under the board pair. This hand is twice as vulnerable as a hand that is full above the board pair. I tend to play these hands fast, and consider slowplaying or trapping when I am full above the board pair.