PDA

View Full Version : What do your sets pay?

Arbogast
09-08-2005, 09:44 AM
At the $50NL on Party, my average net when I make a set or better is around 26 bets. On pairs 9 and lower its almost 40.

On average these are huge implied odds on calling pf.

Now, I usually fold lower pairs in EP and don't call many raisies with them unless I'm fairly sure I will close the action/not face a re-raise.

In light of the above, at the lower levels, what are your thoughts on calling with all pairs in all positions, and even calling most raises 4x BB and lower (provided the raisers stack is deep enough)

Anyone who plays this way care to share their results? (i.e. what are your implied odds on hitting sets?)

Is 26-1 a reasonable "implied odds" figure to use at this level? Or is your experience better or worse?

subzero
09-08-2005, 12:09 PM
With a pocket pair, you are 7.5:1 against flopping a set or better. If villain's stack is big enough to give me those odds or better on later betting rounds, I think villain will pay me off, and/or I can trap some callers in between if I hit, I will call his preflop raise.

Sets are so valuable. With a pocket pair, I'll call from any position unless the table is so aggressive that I don't think I'll be able to see a "cheap" enough (see 5-10 rule) flop.

4_2_it
09-08-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With a pocket pair, you are 7.5:1 against flopping a set or better. If villain's stack is big enough to give me those odds or better on later betting rounds, I think villain will pay me off, and/or I can trap some callers in between if I hit, I will call his preflop raise.

Sets are so valuable. With a pocket pair, I'll call from any position unless the table is so aggressive that I don't think I'll be able to see a "cheap" enough (see 5-10 rule) flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at my PT stats every pocket pair hand shows a profit. My top five are AA, KK, 77, JJ, QQ. Even 22 is still positive but is the lowest earner. I play a similar style to Subzero.

Set mining pwns!