PDA

View Full Version : White Collar Bitching - Collar Stays

IndieMatty
09-08-2005, 09:38 AM
These little white [censored] pieces of plastic are the current bane of my existence. They're impossible to find at any store near me, I lose them or they break/bend them constantly.

I swear, I spent 10 minutes emptying out my drawers looking for a one piece of plastic that costs about 1 cent.

They sell gold ones, that are pretty invincible. But I know I would end up losing those too. My boss suggested I use a paper clip instead for days I can't find any; and that just looks ridiculous in a white shirt.

All you youngins out there considering working somewhere you have to wear a suit to work...heed this warning. Stock up on collar stays, or just take a different job.

Anyway, I don't expect many responses, theres like 10 guys on here who can relate, but what can we do about this? There's a few shirts I have, that have the stays sewn in, but they come back from the cleaners and you can noticibly see the outline of the stays.

Am I just [censored] here? Do I need to go to Brooks Brothers, and just buy a 1000 stays?

sfer
09-08-2005, 09:41 AM
You have to wear a suit? If not, just get button down collars.

IndieMatty
09-08-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I wear a suit everyday. Button down collars are not an option.

turnipmonster
09-08-2005, 09:44 AM
get a tux, much hipper. preferably powder blue with ruffles.

Freakin
09-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Usually good dry cleaners will have plastic ones for sale for pretty cheap. Personally if you're always losing them I'd buy a bunch off the internet. It's gonna be a helluva lot cheaper than brooks brothers.

Good man for avoiding the button-down collar.

Or you could go higher-end with smarter products, like the StayClip

Stay Clip (https://www.stayclip.com/order.php)

Freakin

Lazymeatball
09-08-2005, 09:45 AM
I've never heard of a collar stay but it took me 2 seconds to find out where to get them online.

First ad on google for Ebay collar stays (http://search.ebay.com/Collar-Stays_W0QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3)

canis582
09-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Where did you buy your suit...therein lies the answer.

Let me guess, you are in sales.

IndieMatty
09-08-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Usually good dry cleaners will have plastic ones for sale for pretty cheap. Personally if you're always losing them I'd buy a bunch off the internet. It's gonna be a helluva lot cheaper than brooks brothers.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. this is actually pretty perfect. I can hang it right on the inside of my wardrobe.

Thanks dude.

Shajen
09-08-2005, 09:50 AM
http://images.paulfredrick.com/csimages/catalog/medium/MDGA1001A714.jpg

You are referring to these, ya?

Here ya go broham:

stayclip.com (http://www.stayclip.com/)

IndieMatty
09-08-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where did you buy your suit...therein lies the answer.

Let me guess, you are in sales.

[/ QUOTE ]

I buy them in a bunch of places, the last suit I got at Macy's, 35% off..Michael Korr's, charcoal grey, orange pinstripe; pretty solid--anyway, Macys doesn't sell them. I guess online is the way to go. I never even considered purchasing them online.

jakethebake
09-08-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These little white [censored] pieces of plastic are the current boon of my existence. They're impossible to find at any store near me, I lose them or they break/bend them constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean bane?

codewarrior
09-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Pic? Suit sounds pimp.

jakethebake
09-08-2005, 09:56 AM
i usually just ask the dry cleaners for some. They'll give you as many as you want.

lucas9000
09-08-2005, 09:56 AM
i feel you. there are some shirts i just leave them in, and somehow they don't get bent or lost by the dry cleaner. others i have to keep track of those damn things like crazy because i know if i lose one i'll be f'ed.

lucas9000
09-08-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think button-down collars can be ok when you're not wearing a suit. it all depends though. they're never ok with a suit, though.

sfer
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think button-down collars can be ok when you're not wearing a suit. it all depends though. they're never ok with a suit, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong.

Freakin
[ QUOTE ]
i usually just ask the dry cleaners for some. They'll give you as many as you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Who buys an umbrella anyway? You can get them for free at the coffee shop in those metal cans. "

So do you think the drycleaners who sell them are getting the ones that fall out of peoples shirts, or are they removing them intentionally?

Freakin

IndieMatty
09-08-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
These little white [censored] pieces of plastic are the current boon of my existence. They're impossible to find at any store near me, I lose them or they break/bend them constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean bane?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you change it to boon?

Shajen
09-08-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I really need to read responses before I post in threads.

lucas9000
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

about what? i think i was agreeing with you, at least in part /images/graemlins/confused.gif

IndieMatty
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right. Button down collars are like,catholic high school dress code style.

CrazyEyez
09-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Couple shirts I bought recently have them permanently sewn in. I like.

p.s. Button-down collars are lame.

lucas9000
09-08-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm going to wear a shirt with button-down collars today just to spite you metrosexuals.

CrazyEyez
09-08-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm going to wear a shirt with button-down collars today just to spite you metrosexuals.

[/ QUOTE ]
How dare you.

mslif
09-08-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With your orange tie????

IndieMatty
09-08-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pic? Suit sounds pimp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old Verizon Camera Phone doesn't pick up the orange in the suit that much.

But it is pimp. Especially with this tie.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/IndieMatty/Picture0141.jpg

codewarrior
09-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Tie must be louder, but def. pimp.

sfer
09-08-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's rigid thinking. There are plenty of sharp dressed dooders in suits with button down collars. Fred Astaire comes to mind.

IndieMatty
09-08-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's rigid thinking. There are plenty of sharp dressed dooders in suits with button down collars. Fred Astaire comes to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, he's probably wearing a button down collar in his coffin.

jakethebake
09-08-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean bane?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you change it to boon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice job!

jakethebake
09-08-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So do you think the drycleaners who sell them are getting the ones that fall out of peoples shirts, or are they removing them intentionally?

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

They should remove them before cleaning to prevent wear. But I think the ones they give you are new.

HDPM
09-08-2005, 11:16 AM
I save each and every collar stay I ever get. And now I have a small container of them and can get to them while getting dressed. They are annoying though, I must say. I have a bunch of them so don't worry about running out anytime soon or needing a paper clip or something.

As to the button down collar issue. Button down collars are less dressy than non button down. They started as polo shirts you see, to keep collars from flapping. So it is more of a "sporting" look. However, since there aren't too many effete polo players wearing them, now they are just seen as dress shirts for the most part. Where I live you can get away with wearing them with a suit. Maybe not in New York though. The nice thing about the button down shirts is that you can wear them without a tie. So if you go out to dinner at a casual place after work you can ditch the tie. Button down is good with a jacket and tie, so if you can wear that where you work having some button downs is good. I have both straight collar and button down. For a dressier look it is suit with straight collar. For less dressy or when I can't bear the thought of fiddling with collar says I will throw on a button down. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

smokingrobot
09-08-2005, 11:20 AM
yo dawg, i got a plastic thing full of 'em. you just have to cut them to the right size.

i've lost/broke/flipped out on them a bunch of times too.

smokingrobot
09-08-2005, 11:21 AM
button down collars are hideous.

they definately dont look anywhere as serious as a regular collared shirt.

mmbt0ne
09-08-2005, 11:35 AM
How long have you bit your nails?

btw, I had like 104985 of these that I took when my friend worked at a drycleaners. I don't know what happened to them though.

IndieMatty
09-08-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

btw, I had like 104985 of these that I took when my friend worked at a drycleaners. I don't know what happened to them though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird. I haven't posted a topic in a while, it was either collar stays or nail biting.

I guess I got both.

I haven't clipped/cut my finger nails in about 15 years. It's one of my few bad habits. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Shajen
09-08-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird. I haven't posted a topic in a while, it was either collar stays or nail biting.

I guess I got both.

I haven't clipped/cut my finger nails in about 15 years. It's one of my few bad habits. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it back, you aren't so money. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

WDC
09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
I only wear button down collars.

IndieMatty
09-08-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I got both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it back, you aren't so money. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a man should NOT have well manicured nails. It's part of my charm.

I'll leave manicures to girls, and real ballers like El D and SFer.

jakethebake
09-08-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're a complete metro EXCEPT for your nails? Interesting. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IndieMatty
09-08-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're a complete metro EXCEPT for your nails? Interesting. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, im a complete metro. you got me.

mmbt0ne
09-08-2005, 01:10 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, im a complete metro. you got me.

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh

09-08-2005, 01:56 PM
I used to wear a white Nautica shirt that had a button down collar, but the buttons were hidden. The collar had two little hoops on the bottom that couldn't be seen. This would eliminate both the button down collar look (not a favorite of mine) and the need for stays. Be warned, sometimes the very tips of the collar will flip up a bit, but it's not too bad.

Will

PITTM
09-08-2005, 02:04 PM
i didnt understand anything in this post. i assume i have a "button down collar" on at work right now, but what else is there? im pretty out of touch with fashion i guess.

rj