PDA

View Full Version : Odds of a set vs. two pair

bakersh
04-25-2003, 05:08 PM
What has better odds: ending up with a set after starting off with a pair, or ending up with two pair after starting with two random cards? (running hot and cold, all-in situation preflop)

Real world example: you're all-in on the big blind and only the small blind calls and turns over pocket aces. You haven't looked at your cards yet. What do you want to see? I assume suited connectors would be the first choice (aside from the other two aces), but what's second (after connecting and suited cards)? A pocket pair (besides aces) or two unsuited, unconnecting cards?

bakersh
04-29-2003, 05:10 PM

LondonBroil
04-29-2003, 06:18 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Real world example: you're all-in on the big blind and only the small blind calls and turns over pocket aces. You haven't looked at your cards yet. What do you want to see?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to this is obvious. The ONLY 2 cards I would want to see are the other 2 aces. AA dominates every other hand. If I had a choice between:
A. A tie
B. A better than 50% of losing

I think I'd pick A. It's the only choice that doesn't have a -EV. Am I wrong?

bakersh
04-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Further in my question addressed that "besides the other two aces, what would you want given the choice of a pair or two unsuited/unconnecting cards"

Robk
04-30-2003, 06:55 PM
You should go to www.twodimes.net (http://www.twodimes.net), and play around with their simulator to answer your questions. The best hand to have against aces is indeed middle suited connectors, although I forget which one is the best. It's 78 or 65 or something like that.