PDA

View Full Version : The RIght's Limbaugh Pretzel

09-08-2005, 08:11 AM
From Mark Shea: (http://www.markshea.blogspot.com), certainly no liberal:

The Right's Limbaugh Pretzel

Politics is a sort of food chain. That only stands to reason, since its all about earthly power. So when you royally screw up, as government did at every level--state, local, and federal--with Katrina, certain basic laws of self-preservation kick in. I use the term "laws" advisedly. I do not mean that people *have* to obey these laws. The grace of God can actually enable a soul to defy these laws, so long as we are willing to be crucified or stoned to death in payment. However, most politicians are not made of such stuff since St. Thomas More was willing to part with his head for his truthfullness. And so, absent grace politicos function by certain laws which govern the mind of the flesh.

One of these laws is "shift blame". When you have really really REALLY screwed up, you take a page from Monty Python and say things like "Hey! This is supposed to be an occasion of unity! Let's not argue and bicker about who killed who!" And so the great organ of conservative opinion, EIB dutifully performs this task by chewing out people for blaming Bush for the grotesque incompetence that led to the greatest peacetime breakdown of civilization on American soil in our history. Holding Bush accountable for doing what we were promised would happen should a great emergency strike a major metropolitan area is "The Blame Game" we are told. Let's forget all about blame and just do the work necessary to fix the problem!

And while we do that let's be sure to blame instead the local and state authorities.

Fine by me. Both local and state authorities were manifestly corrupt and incompetent boobs. Speaking of which, some survivors were ordered by police to display their breasts for the delectation of their rescuers. Words cannot fathom the contempt I feel for the authorities who abused power in this way. I put them in a lower circle of hell than the scum who formed their own little terror squads and ran the town for a few days, because they had the benefit of having been entrusted with a charge for the public good. Following Dante, I put such traitors in the lowest circle.

But you know what? That *still* doesn't excuse the Feds, and especially Bush and special friends like Michael Brown of FEMA for their stunning incompetence. Somewhere in the back of their hearts, Bush apologists like Limbaugh know this, so they continue to pour on the rhetorical steam by shifting the blame still further. Not only is this the fault of state and local authorities, it's the fault of Big Government and an Entitlement Mentality. This, when translated, means "Don't blame Bush. Blame the gigantic and ballooning bureaucracy to which he gave fresh life with promises that he'd keep us safe and blame the poorest of the poor for believing him."

Here's the facts, ma'am:

The 2004 National Response Plan explicitly states that, at times of
any natural or manmade incident, including terrorism, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the population, infrastructure, environment, economy, national morale, and/or government functions,
the federal government pre-empts local and state government in its responsibility to act quickly. After 9/11, the administration wisely dispensed with the formalities of deferring to local authorities (which, of course, in this case had already issued a state of emergency as early as August 26). The attempt by the spinners to blame this on the obviously overwhelmed and incompetent local authorities, doesn't fit with the Bush administration's own rules.

This was a monumental failure to lead. Moreover, it was due, at least in part, to Bush's tendency to value loyalty over competence. FEMA's spectacularly incompetent Brown is a prime illustration. If the Limbaugh's of the world are serious about reducing Big Government, they would do well to call upon Bush to reduce by at least one the ranks of the employed at FEMA, starting at the top. But that, of course, would mean blaming Bush for hiring the idiot. So rhetoric will continue to focus on Big Government without focus in who, precisely, is responsible for making it so big for the past four years. That would raise delicate questions not only for Bush, but for the whole GOP.

Doubtless certain of my readers will again leap to the tired claim that I "hate Bush". Sorry, but a quick read of my blog will not support that conversation-killing thesis. I don't hate Bush. I simply wish to hold him responsible to do his job. Do I deny that there is an entitlement mentality? Of course not. But it is not an expression of entitlement mentality to expect the state to ensure domestic tranquility and provide for the common defense. It is not an entitlement mentality to expect to be safe from rape in emergency facilities provided by the state. It's not an entitlement mentality to think you shouldn't have to watch your baby die of dehydration because the Feds couldn't figure out how to airlift water to helpless thirsty people for five frickin' days and, in their world-historical and criminal incompetence, actually turned offers of water away.

The Rush Limbaughs of the world will have ample opportunity to blame poor people for foolishly expecting the state to do what the Founders thought it should do: ensure domestic tranquility and provide for the common defense. We'll all be able to indulge ourselves in blaming the poor for being powerless, undereducated, frequently below average in IQ and all the rest of it. They have no access to the Golden EIB microphone. Likewise, nobody (including me) is going to spring to the defense of the state and local authorities in NOLA. They have no effective spin machine to shift the blame to somebody else and they deserve all the hell they will get.

But Bush does have a spin machine. And it's already swinging into high gear to say loudly, "Don't look at Bush! Look! Incompetent state and local guys! Look! Stupid poor people! Look! Thugs!"

So long as Bush remains the King of Massive Government Spending Coupled with the Promise of "Homeland Security", guys like Limbaugh are going to have a colossally difficult time shifting the blame for this debacle away from Bush. That's not "Bush hatred". That's cold logic.

Click here (http://www.markshea.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_markshea_archive.html#11260713535767170 5) for the version with the links.

Exsubmariner
09-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Pretty good article, thanks for sharing. There is plenty of blame to go around, obviously, but I feel strongly that whatever blame is due the Federal Government will be successfully diminished by the failures of the local officials because they have a clear responsibility to act first so the feds have time to mobilize. The right wing spin machine (Rove) will exploit this point to every degree imaginable and probably in some ways only his creative genius can come up with that will shock dismay and take the lefties by complete suprise. The White House will once again be able to deflect blame and beat the other side at their own game. This will cause the left to redouble their Bush hating frenzy, but to no avail.

I don't buy the bit that the LA government doesn't have a spin machine. His name is Naygin. He's not even close to Rove's ability, plus he is handicaped by being beholden to the archaic and corrupt political structure in LA.

Politically speaking, it's a no win to push the blame Bush agenda. The left would do well to just shut up and try to fix the situation instead of, once again, unsuprisingly and underwhelmingly playing politics with a national tragedy.

If Kerry had won and the same debacle took place, the right wingers would be behaving the same, sadly.

The nature of the debate in this country has gone from being constructive to being vindictive. We will succomb to enemies we don't even know we have because we will weaken ourselves. We will deserve it for putting our selfish interests ahead of everything else.

MaxPower
09-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Or as Jon Stewart said on The Daily Show last night, "When you start saying let's not play the blame game....You are to blame"

thatpfunk
09-08-2005, 10:07 AM
He's been spot on this week.

09-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Chances are I don't agree with much of this guy's politics, but I do agree with this article. In fact, he sums up the way I feel exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
The 2004 National Response Plan explicitly states that, at times of
any natural or manmade incident, including terrorism, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the population, infrastructure, environment, economy, national morale, and/or government functions,
the federal government pre-empts local and state government in its responsibility to act quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the fuel for the "It's Bush's problem" fire. He wanted all this power after the last huge domestic disaster. Therefore, one could say that he brought it on himself. I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing! I don't think that either the city I live in or the city I'm from is well-equipped to handle a disaster like this. We would need assistance from a better-organized, better-funded emergency program.

[ QUOTE ]
This, when translated, means "Don't blame Bush. Blame the gigantic and ballooning bureaucracy to which he gave fresh life with promises that he'd keep us safe and blame the poorest of the poor for believing him."

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. You can't have it both ways. Either you (GWB) are going to be the entity that keeps America safe or it's going to be local authorites.

[ QUOTE ]
The Rush Limbaughs of the world will have ample opportunity to blame poor people for foolishly expecting the state to do what the Founders thought it should do: ensure domestic tranquility and provide for the common defense. We'll all be able to indulge ourselves in blaming the poor for being powerless, undereducated, frequently below average in IQ and all the rest of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I do believe the state and city could've done more, this part seems to examine what I've wondered all along: whether or not people would've listened to the mayor or governor saying "Grab what you can, get on this bus, we have to go". People, especially lower-class people, are generally stubborn and there's no reason to believe that they would've cooperated with an evacuation effort.

There hasn't been a natural disaster with an effect like this in the contiguous US since 1906. Compare that with how many "whiffs" there have been. Put yourself in their positions. You don't have much as it is. An evacuation that takes you away from your home with no real timetable as to when or how you get back, with really no knowledge of what's going to happen. Is that an easy sell? I think not, but I see why some might disagree. I know that if a hurricane is bearing down on me I'm splitting...but I have my own car and a decent sized bankroll to support most emergencies. Hopefully some good that will come from this disaster is that now local and state governments will have something to point to if an evacuation is ever needed on this magnitude again.

Good post/thread.

nyc999
09-08-2005, 10:57 AM
He has been...

[ QUOTE ]
Now, for you people who are saying, `Well, stop pointing fingers at the president...left-wing...the media's being too hard:

No. SHUT...UP! No! This is inarguably---inarguably---a failure of leadership from the top of the federal government.

Remember when Bill Clinton went out with Monica Lewinsky? That was inarguably a failure of judgment at the top. Democrats had to come out and risk losing credibility if they did not condemn Bill Clinton for his behavior. I believe Republicans are in the same position right now. And I will say this: Hurricane Katrina is George Bush's Monica Lewinsky. The only difference is that tens of thousands of people weren't stranded in Monica Lewinsky's vagina.

--Jon Stewart

[/ QUOTE ]

09-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Great article. I think that the issue of loyalty vs. competence is one of the most important points to be made about Bush being a flawed leader. Loyalty is a virtue of Bush's that has cost our country dearly. I thought that after the pulitzer winning book The Price of Loyalty where Paul O'Neil exposed Bush's lack of critical thinking that this notion of the danger of unchecked loyalty would have framed all future debate of Bush. When Bush literally pats Brown on the back like he did this week and said "Thanks Brownie, you've done a heck of job" you would think that the entire country would collectively puke. Yet Bush continues to wear this loyalty thing like a badge of honor instead of what it has become for him which is a gold-paved road toward incompetence at every turn within his administration.

It's unbelievable. This guy cannot veto even one pork laden spending bill because of his loyalty to the Republican legislators. He can't fire one bumbling Iraq war planner. And now he can't fire the head of FEMA so all those hurricane victims are now stuck with the same incompetence for the rest of their recovery. We're stuck with Rumsfeld running things into the ground in Iraq. And if a natural disaster or man-made disaster is on the way, you can count on whoever is in charge to help you out. And the only reason those people will be in charge is because they were hired first. Ron Suskind needs to come out with The Price Of Loyalty Volume II, III, IV, V, and VI ASAP so that it finally sinks into voters heads and they realize that competency might just be more important than loyalty.

Easy E
09-08-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what I've wondered all along: whether or not people would've listened to the mayor or governor saying "Grab what you can, get on this bus, we have to go". People, especially lower-class people, are generally stubborn and there's no reason to believe that they would've cooperated with an evacuation effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than pointing out an incredibly inflammatory statement (I'd love to see your data for that generalization), I wonder about the people who didn't evacuate.

I read another article where one person commented about wasting their time evacuating during Hurricane Ivan. I wonder how much blame hype-master weather forecasters and news reporting can be blamed?
Personally, I would have crawled out of NO and the Gult coastal areas when someone tells me a Cat 5 is headed my way. However, if I'd heard that many times before... ?

09-08-2005, 04:00 PM
yeah you're right, that came out as being a lot more insensitive than I meant.

I live in a lower-class area in Buffalo. I've noticed that people here are much straighter shooters, dont-take-crap types compared to the suburb of Rochester I moved from. Is that less inflammatory? If it isn't, then I guess it's hard to explain what I meant. Either way you're right, I shouldn't have added that qualifier in the abscence of empirical data. FWIW, I think that we've all experienced the general stubbornness of people, especially when it comes to potentially radical changes in their lives.

[ QUOTE ]
I read another article where one person commented about wasting their time evacuating during Hurricane Ivan. I wonder how much blame hype-master weather forecasters and news reporting can be blamed?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more what i meant. A classic case of crying wolf. I'm not judging right or wrong here, just pointing out a contributing factor.

New001
09-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Very nice article, thanks for sharing it.

CORed
09-08-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is more what i meant. A classic case of crying wolf. I'm not judging right or wrong here, just pointing out a contributing factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I don't see how crying wolf could have been avoided. Hurricane forcasting isn't an exact science. Hurricanes frequently change course, weaken or strengthen during the last day or two before landfall. By the time you are absolutley certain that the storm is going to flood the city, it's too late to evacuate.

The real tragedy is that it's been known for a long time that the levy system wouldn't hold against a category 4 or 5 storm, but not wnough was done to improve it.

09-08-2005, 06:48 PM
I agree on all counts.