PDA

View Full Version : The ashes - fifth test time

chezlaw
09-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Collingwood in for Jones. Aussies at full strength.

http://www.chezlaw.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/urn.jpg

chez

chezlaw
09-08-2005, 05:04 AM
England win the toss and will bat.

partygirluk
09-08-2005, 07:29 AM
109-3. Bell has sucked all series. Big mistake not to play Thorpe in his place.

lufbradolly
09-08-2005, 07:31 AM
bout time Jones was dropped. If pietersen wasn't half decent at batting then he should be dropped also for some of the catches he's dropped.

The Ash's are coming home baby!

lufbradolly
09-08-2005, 07:40 AM
114-4 not looking good

chezlaw
09-08-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
114-4 not looking good

[/ QUOTE ]

115-7 looks even worse /images/graemlins/smile.gif

partygirluk
09-08-2005, 08:38 AM
131-4. Not good.

chezlaw
09-08-2005, 08:39 AM
131-4 its the Shane Warne show.

chez

chezlaw
09-08-2005, 10:11 AM
213-4 clawing our way back into it.

partygirluk
09-08-2005, 11:19 AM
261-4

Terrible decision by Koertzen to give Strauss N.O - clear edge. England have had by far the most luck with the umpiring decisions.

Another monster 6 from Flintoff!

267-1

jdl22
09-08-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they choose to bat first? Isn't it better to know how many runs you need? Is there some sort of psychological edge?

chezlaw
09-08-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they choose to bat first? Isn't it better to know how many runs you need? Is there some sort of psychological edge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a five day game played outdoors on a pitch that deteriates. Batting usually gets much harder on the 4th and 5th days and the side batting second is more likely to have to bat on these days.

Its not as simple as that sounds but its the general idea.

chez

partygirluk
09-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Australia edged the first day imo.

chezlaw
09-08-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More than edged imo. We're going to be 100+ runs short unless the tail wags hard.

Still its such a high pressure game that runs on the board may be worth a bit more than usual.

chez

skp
09-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Man, it sucks that I can't watch any of this action.

How did McGrath look? Looks like he and Lee may have got tonked in the first hour or so as England racked up 85 or so runs in the first hour or so. Anyway, it's an indication that the poms were not simply playing for a draw and were looking to be aggressive from the get-go. Flintoff appears to have been of that mindset too.

BTW, what's the weather forecast for the next 4 days? It would be a pity to have a weather-dictated draw.

vulturesrow
09-08-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about cricket but how can you not know who is ahead at the end of the first day? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wilbix
09-08-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about cricket but how can you not know who is ahead at the end of the first day? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Australia has yet to bat. Technically, the score is 319-0 for England, but you have to consider how many runs have been scored and how many men are out (wickets) and compare it to what you would expect in thie situation.

partygirluk
09-08-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I team in baseball has batted 1 inning and has 1 point, and the other team has not batted you can not say who is in front, can you?

chezlaw
09-08-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man, it sucks that I can't watch any of this action.

How did McGrath look? Looks like he and Lee may have got tonked in the first hour or so as England racked up 85 or so runs in the first hour or so. Anyway, it's an indication that the poms were not simply playing for a draw and were looking to be aggressive from the get-go. Flintoff appears to have been of that mindset too.

BTW, what's the weather forecast for the next 4 days? It would be a pity to have a weather-dictated draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

McGrath bowled ok but not his best - lacking in the usual accuracy. The pitch is a belter, very hard for seamers to do much which is why England are in a spot of bother.

Met forecast just has light rain on Sat and Sun, so looks okay.

chez

RRRRICK
09-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Intruiging 1st day.

It was looking like a massive day for England until Warney typically stepped up to change the game.

On a 1st day pitch that gave him nothing he was quite superb.

How important is the 1st session of day 2.
The difference between 3 quick wickets and the tail waging for another 100+ will be huge in the context of the game.

Oz will need to take the last 3 quickly and set about scoring at about 4 an over. They will want be nearing Englands total at the end of day 2. And build from there.

I think a 1st innings lead is Australia's only realistic chance.

The fact that its Warnes genius that has done the damage will give Australia much heart as fast bowlers have struggled on a magnificent batting wicket.

England do not have a Warne so Oz will back themselves to score big on this track.

Rock on Day 2, even if I haven't slept a wink....stumps is 3.00am Melbourne

vulturesrow
09-08-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I team in baseball has batted 1 inning and has 1 point, and the other team has not batted you can not say who is in front, can you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you can say at the end of one inning that they are in front. The way you guys were talking made it sound like you couldnt really tell who was in front at at that point in time.

chezlaw
09-08-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you can say at the end of one inning that they are in front. The way you guys were talking made it sound like you couldnt really tell who was in front at at that point in time.

[/ QUOTE ]

By 'in front' we mean favorite to win from this point. (in this particular game a draw counts as a win for England)

chez

partygirluk
09-08-2005, 11:08 PM
OK. Too change the analogy. Imagine that instead of having 9 innings where 3 guys have get struck out each time, you have 2 innings where 11 people must get struck out 5 times each. So each innings you need to strike out 55 batsmen effectively. After 35 people have been struck out team 1 has x home runs. For certain levels of x, certain teams, certain weather conditions etc. you couldnt be confident who was winning.

TheTROLL
09-09-2005, 05:48 AM
Where's the thunderstorms and heavy rain? Hmm? I was promised angry weather (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1769) today, resulting in a nice drawn match. WTF?

chezlaw
09-09-2005, 06:55 AM
373 all out.

Horrid lbw decision by Bowden but evens the bad decisions up a bit.

chez

TheTROLL
09-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Respectable enough total. Aus near evens to win on Betfair... absurd. SELL!

spamuell
09-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Aus at 69-0 as I type this. Watching on Filmfour because of the stupid racing.

chezlaw
09-09-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Aus at 69-0 as I type this. Watching on Filmfour because of the stupid racing.

[/ QUOTE ]

112-0, England need wickets.

Thunderstorms in SW London, not that far away from the Oval.

They've just shown the ashes being presented to the victorious England side. Congratuations, lap of honour at the moment.

chez

chezlaw
09-09-2005, 10:31 AM
ozzie have been offered the bad light and gone off!

chez

TheTROLL
09-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Yup, clouding over nicely in City area now. I've switched from selling Aus to buying the draw. Just about to put the last lump on before the heavens open and the price collapses. Candy from a baby.

spamuell
09-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Why would Australia accept the offer of bad light? Shouldn't they want to play?

TheTROLL
09-09-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ozzie have been offered the bad light and gone off!

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

And you can STILL get better than evens on the draw!!

spamuell
09-09-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would Australia accept the offer of bad light? Shouldn't they want to play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they could press on for a bit, but looking out the window now, fair enough.

vulturesrow
09-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Chezlaw and PartygirlUK,

Thanks for answering my questions. I definitely need to learn more about this game.

skp
09-09-2005, 07:17 PM
I gather the English tail wagged a bit - if not in the form of runs, at least in overs taken and time killed.

How much time was left before The Aussies took the light?
Do they try and make up for lost overs with an earlier start on day 3?? If so, it better explains why the Aussies would take the light. Otherwise, I would have thought that they - being the side that needs to win - would have pushed on unless it was really poor light. On the other hand, I guess they don't want to lose a wicket either and give England momentum that they now so badly need.

From the scorecard, it looks like Hayden played second fiddle to Langer which of course is just the reverse of the norm.

Finally, How did Collingwood look?

I see that cricinfo is already taking pre-orders for the highlight package DVD of the Ashes. Should be a beaut of a DVD. I have grown tired of watching the DVD package of India- Australia 2001 series after about the 87th time...lol...and could use a new one to watch.

My trip to Australia is now confirmed for next month. I will be at the Sydney test match (ICC super series). I am hoping like hell that Tendulkar (even if rusty and out of form) will be fit to play. 6 day test match too which should ensure a result.

chezlaw
09-09-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I gather the English tail wagged a bit - if not in the form of runs, at least in overs taken and time killed.

How much time was left before The Aussies took the light?
Do they try and make up for lost overs with an earlier start on day 3?? If so, it better explains why the Aussies would take the light. Otherwise, I would have thought that they - being the side that needs to win - would have pushed on unless it was really poor light. On the other hand, I guess they don't want to lose a wicket either and give England momentum that they now so badly need.

From the scorecard, it looks like Hayden played second fiddle to Langer which of course is just the reverse of the norm.

Finally, How did Collingwood look?

I see that cricinfo is already taking pre-orders for the highlight package DVD of the Ashes. Should be a beaut of a DVD. I have grown tired of watching the DVD package of India- Australia 2001 series after about the 87th time...lol...and could use a new one to watch.

My trip to Australia is now confirmed for next month. I will be at the Sydney test match (ICC super series). I am hoping like hell that Tendulkar (even if rusty and out of form) will be fit to play. 6 day test match too which should ensure a result.

[/ QUOTE ]

oz took the light straight after tea - rain didn't start for another hour. In theory they can make up some time but more rain is forecast tomorrow so its unlikely they will.

Collingwood bowled really well, menacing and unlucky that treskothick dropped a tough slip catch.

Have fun in Sydney, its the only test ground I've been to where ordinary folk can sit behind the bowlers arm. So much better than the usual square on view.

chez

stripsqueez
09-10-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have fun in Sydney, its the only test ground I've been to where ordinary folk can sit behind the bowlers arm. So much better than the usual square on view

[/ QUOTE ]

?? - ordinary punters can sit behind the bowlers arm on a large grass mound a short distance from a big open air bar at the cathedral end at the adelaide oval

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

stripsqueez
09-10-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its the Shane Warne show

[/ QUOTE ]

he has caught well - his batting has been sensational - he is the best at chatting up batsmen and encouraging his own team in the world - have i mentioned his bowling yet ?

given he has to be nearing the end of his career and plays like he has this series i'm going with the best cricketer since bradman

chezlaw
09-10-2005, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its the Shane Warne show

[/ QUOTE ]

he has caught well - his batting has been sensational - he is the best at chatting up batsmen and encouraging his own team in the world - have i mentioned his bowling yet ?

given he has to be nearing the end of his career and plays like he has this series i'm going with the best cricketer since bradman

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument from me. Have to go back to Viv Richards to think of anyone in the same league - that would have been a fun contest to watch.

Re' the previous post, I've never been to Adelaide, one day if poker treats me well enough.

chez

chezlaw
09-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Langer out and now more rain.

Oz well on top but ... greatest series ever heading to a climax late on the fifth day of the last test?

chez

skp
09-11-2005, 03:21 AM
So, what now is the OZ strategy? Rack up 180 runs quickly on day 4 and declare? Or, do they just declare upon reaching England's total?

chezlaw
09-11-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, what now is the OZ strategy? Rack up 180 runs quickly on day 4 and declare? Or, do they just declare upon reaching England's total?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess Ponting wants a lead of 150+ maybe even 200+. I don't think he has the right attitude to go for an agressive declaration.

If it were me I'd want to get England in as soon as reasonably possible and see what they've got.

chez

stripsqueez
09-11-2005, 05:36 AM
whatever ponting has in mind it will be based on the assumption that there will be 2 full days play - thats always what he and prior Oz captains do when rain is about

i think best is to bat till at least tea or an hour before stumps today

for both teams sake and to ensure this goes down as one of the all time great ashes series i'm praying for no rain - in that case the ashes are down to what odds the pommies against the sheik and oooh-aaah for a day ?? - that would be a fitting finish

chezlaw
09-11-2005, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
whatever ponting has in mind it will be based on the assumption that there will be 2 full days play - thats always what he and prior Oz captains do when rain is about

i think best is to bat till at least tea or an hour before stumps today

for both teams sake and to ensure this goes down as one of the all time great ashes series i'm praying for no rain - in that case the ashes are down to what odds the pommies against the sheik and oooh-aaah for a day ?? - that would be a fitting finish

[/ QUOTE ]

The light has already been offered and its likely to be worse after tea so its probably no declaration today.

Forecast is good for tomorrow, should be a corking finish.

chez

partygirluk
09-11-2005, 08:56 AM
wtf. just wake up and see England coming out to bat? Cant believe I missed that - must have been amazing viewing.

spamuell
09-11-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf. just wake up and see England coming out to bat? Cant believe I missed that - must have been amazing viewing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happened to me, that's what we get with the hours we keep.

Things are looking great for England though.

chezlaw
09-11-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happened to me, that's what we get with the hours we keep.

Things are looking great for England though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You two need to sort out your priorities /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A disasterous day for oz, they had to bat all day because of the bad light. Being bowled out giving England the lead and the afternoon off was the stuff of nightmares barely mitigated by one wicket for Warne.

I think it's all over, or can the ozzies produce one last act of magnificent brutality.

History awaits, early nights all round.

chez

partygirluk
09-11-2005, 04:37 PM
It is a shame that so much of today was lost to the weather. This series deserving a thrilling ending. Hopefully England get bowled out leaving Australia to get 200 in 35 overs and they fall 1 run short.

RRRRICK
09-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Looks pretty much all over to me.

It would take something extraordinary for oz to get up from here.

Well done England the better team over 5 test have won.

partygirluk
09-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I am not convinced it is over if all 98 overs are played. England are going to be playing defensively, scoring at 3.0 an over. Say they lose the final 9 wickets in 55 overs, which is very feasible with Warne and McGrath in your team. That gives us a lead of 205 and you would have 31 overs to get it in (2 are lost for the change of sides). That would be one hell of a climax.

RRRRICK
09-11-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not convinced it is over if all 98 overs are played. England are going to be playing defensively, scoring at 3.0 an over. Say they lose the final 9 wickets in 55 overs, which is very feasible with Warne and McGrath in your team. That gives us a lead of 205 and you would have 31 overs to get it in (2 are lost for the change of sides). That would be one hell of a climax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats probably the best oz can hope for.

Scoring 6+ an over on a perfectly prepared ODI batting deck with a lightning outfield would be challenging but achievable.

On a fifth day test wicket which is starting to play tricks long shot at best.
If that situation arises you can bet Ponting will send in Gilchrist to open. He's so overdue, I thought he was looking pretty good yesterday before he fell.

TheTROLL
09-12-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

98-55-2=41, not 31, which makes it even more plausible. I closed out my draw bets last night at 1.14 having backed at an average of 2.2 - don't feel the "surprise" result is unlikely enough to take any chances! Then again, very overcast in Central London at the moment, and a bit of light drizzle as I left home (SW London), so the full day isn't certain by any means...

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

98-55-2=41, not 31, which makes it even more plausible. I closed out my draw bets last night at 1.14 having backed at an average of 2.2 - don't feel the "surprise" result is unlikely enough to take any chances! Then again, very overcast in Central London at the moment, and a bit of light drizzle as I left home (SW London), so the full day isn't certain by any means...

[/ QUOTE ]

Real tough ask to win a one innings game in 98 overs but somehow this series feels destined to end in a bang not a wimper.

Weather looks okay. Come on England!

chez

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 06:13 AM
67-3

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 06:53 AM
93-3 Warne drops Peiterson off Lee

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 07:05 AM
109-4 Warne gets treskothick

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 07:26 AM
126-5 Warne gets Flintoff

yikes

partygirluk
09-12-2005, 07:28 AM
Woke up at 120-4. Dont understand why England are playing so aggresive. Looks like a good finish.

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Woke up at 120-4. Dont understand why England are playing so aggresive. Looks like a good finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good morning.

127-5 lunch. Long day ahead

chez

Isura
09-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Peiterson is taking it away from the Aussies...

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 09:19 AM
186-6 collingwood done by Warne

just when you think it might be coming to an end ...

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 09:43 AM
199-7 Jones bowled by tait

Peterson on 90

partygirluk
09-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Petersen tonne.

Not over yet.

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 10:12 AM
221-7 tea

One long session to go.

chez

partygirluk
09-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Should be all over now.

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should be all over now.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif 251 ahead /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 11:44 AM
300 ahead

150 for Pietersen

All over /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

skp
09-12-2005, 12:04 PM
At tea, with a 300 odd lead. England should declare and see if they can bowl 'em out in one session. I know that they only need a draw to get the Ashes but still...

...anyway, congrats to Vaughan and his men...job well done.

Thanks to both teams for a great series although I didn't see a lick of it...waiting now for the DVD.

chezlaw
09-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Fantastic for England, end of an era for Australia but it could so easily have gone the other way.

I'm just very very happy.

chez

p.s declaring at tea time - no no no

Stuck
09-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Congratulations England - I only caught the Edgbaston and Old Trafford tests, but they were two of the best cricket games I've ever seen.

vulturesrow
09-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Well this thread has actually inspired me to learn more abou this game. What Ive read so far is it pretty interesting, you may have a new fellow fan!! I played rugby in college and now I am thinking cricket may be cool..hope I dont have to give up my citizenship /images/graemlins/wink.gif

lem45216
09-12-2005, 01:37 PM
The boys done good.

Well done England!