PDA

View Full Version : If I could be like mike...l

Duke
04-25-2003, 04:12 PM
OK so there was already talk of the mike l wannabee. I tried my hand at it last night, and here is how it went.

15-30 at Hawaiian Gardens. Pretty soft.

EP raiser who is sorta tight, but I put him on a hand like AK, and the guy next to him 3-bets. I put him on pocket tens or jacks.

I cap it on the button with 2d3d.

Flop comes Q67. Checked to me, I bet, EP calls, and MP folds.

Turn is a blank (not a blank that hit my blanks, a real blank). EP checks, I bet, and he folds his AK face up.

I had to show that one, just to buy some calls in the future. Up until that point I had only shown down hands like AK, AA.

So, do I win a prize?

~D

mike l.
04-25-2003, 04:29 PM
"So, do I win a prize?"

well you won a pretty nice pot. what more do you want?

this is a good thing for all players to try every now and then. stretching one's play. it goes both ways of course. if you are a player who consistently runs towards to the loose side of things you should try mucking KQs utg and AQo from the bb for a raise every now and then to see how the other half lives. or other 5% i should say.

notice that your cap w/ 32s is not so bad really since you have the button, the game is soft, players respect you, and if the guy 3 betting can lay down a hand easily.

Ulysses
04-25-2003, 05:21 PM
15-30 game. Maniacal loose player a couple to my right. Every time it is folded to him in CO, he raises and I usually fold my BB. The times I don't I've shown down some pretty big hands. The times I do, he's often shown hands like T8o 46s etc. He's drunk and thinks stealing pots is the funniest thing in the world. He has about 2500 in front of him, from a 500 buyin. I've also noticed that he very rarely raises from late position when he has a real hand.

So, everyone folds, he raises, SB folds, and I'm looking at 56o in the BB. I 3-bet. He calls.

Flop comes 3TJ. I check. He bets. I checkraise. He folds 84o face up and laughs. I have to show mine as well. Fun is had by all, including him.

Duke
04-25-2003, 05:33 PM
You play around LA, right? I'll have to find a game that you're in and we can go to showdown with 9 and 10 high.

~D

mike l.
04-25-2003, 05:41 PM
as long as i have the T.

yeah i play at HP normally, but ill be moving to oceanside and playing oceans 11 mostly in about 2 weeks. where do you play?

mikelow
04-25-2003, 05:55 PM
There's only one mike l., but it's good to toss in a spanner.

I'll keep this in mind the next time I get trey-deuce.

mikelow
04-25-2003, 06:28 PM
From the mountains to the ocean..at least you won't have to deal with the weather so much.

Tekari
04-25-2003, 07:35 PM

Duke
04-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Commerce, Hustler, HG. I don't venture out to HP. Or to Oceanside. Haha.

Have a good one. Time to go play. Flipping a coin between Hustler and Commerce tonight.

As I say - a pretty tall white dude with a wizards cap is always me.

~D

Duke
04-25-2003, 08:58 PM
I think there might have been a diamond. I was playing my read. I really thought the flop missed AK, and the other guy had a pair below QQ.

No, I don't do this every time I get 23 suited. No, it didn't matter in this case what my cards were. I felt like I had a line on the 2 people in the pot, and I jumped on it.

~D

Josh W
04-26-2003, 03:13 AM
Dammit Duke -

>> I felt like I had a line on the 2 people in the pot, and I jumped on it.

I hope that's a lie. I mean...you put in 2BB preflop, and are largely committed to putting in another SB (half the time or so), when you need to make two pair, OR HAVE A Q HIGH FLOP AND NOTHING ELSE. That is, if your reads (both) are right.

Look, you've sweated me as I pushed a 6 high through small nations. I've declared "Seven High" at showdown, with a 74, and been shown a 73 before.

But make a move when you call one raise from the BB w/ 74s. You can just get fancy on a safe flop (i.e. Q high flops), or flops that kinda hit you (35T, one of your suit). Then, push. And if you miss, you can still muck face up. Sure, 7 high may not quite have 100% the effect that 3 high does, but it's dang close.

There are better spots to be completely ridiculous.

Josh