PDA

View Full Version : Two-pair board

Girchuck
04-25-2003, 02:04 PM
PP $1-2 table, during the point promotion, so very loose but unusually passive.
I hold 9d 9s in MP
Everybody limps to me I decide to limp, everybody limps after me, 10 players see the flop.
flop comes 7d 7s 4d
checks to me, I bet all fold except for two EP players who've checked before.
the turn is (7d 7s 4d) 4c
both EP players check to me, and I bet
both call.
the river is (7d 7s 4d 4c) 6d,
Both check.
now I decide that I'm very unlikely to be ahead since the flush arrived, so I check too.
Was I too aggressive on the turn or too passive on the river? Do I have to bet the flop?
Results to follow.

Girchuck
04-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Both show 86o and I take the pot.

Louie Landale
04-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Its a pretty easy turn bet: Even if your don't think your chances are too good, the bet can and will get LOTS of players drawing out. So the benefits of betting far outweigh the benefits of checking (saving a bet).

Having said that, it looks like I was wrong since they BOTH called with terrible draws.

In the real loose games, I'd be tempted to bet for value since they'll call with A high and maybe if they accidentally it the 6.

Lets not forget that real loose players can find LOTS of hands to call with that don't feature YOUR calling standards: pairs or solid draws. In fact, they can find perhaps 5 times as many "bad" hands to call as "lagit" hands. So even when the flush gets there, there is no particular reason to fear it against just a couple players.

- Louie

JTG51
04-27-2003, 12:49 AM
I like your play until the river, where I think you should have bet. You'll often get called by A high or a smaller pocket pair.

You shouldn't be too worried about a flush on the river. Most players would have folded a flush draw on the turn when the second pair hit the board. As Louie pointed out, these two players are obviously an exception. Still, there won't be a flush draw hanging around till the river very often.