PDA

View Full Version : Dryer problem

durron597
09-08-2005, 02:38 AM
So I was doing laundry. I put the next load in the dryer, took out the lint filter (one of those standard long ones) to clean it and as I pull it out it gets slightly stuck, I pull and I notice that half the lint seems to not be there. Not knowing anything about how dryers work I clean the rest of the lint off, put it back, and start it. It starts making really loud cranking noises, so I immediately stop it. I reach down there to try to grab the lint (knowing I won't be able to reach it but what else would I try?). I can't, of course. At a loss, I try starting it again, it doesn't go away.

Now what?

Thanks in advance OOT!

Dynasty
09-08-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I was doing laundry...took out the lint filter (one of those standard long ones) to clean it

[/ QUOTE ]

When I owned my first dryer, it took me about two years before I figured out you were supposed to pull that thing out and clean it. There sure was a lot of lint on it. I'd say about half an inch and damn solid.

threeonefour
09-08-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I was doing laundry...took out the lint filter (one of those standard long ones) to clean it

[/ QUOTE ]

When I owned my first dryer, it took me about two years before I figured out you were supposed to pull that thing out and clean it. There sure was a lot of lint on it. I'd say about half an inch and damn solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats good to know... i clean mine out religiously because i am paranoid that it could start a fire (which is what the warning label says)... i guess it doesn't need to be changed every load then.

Stu Pidasso
09-08-2005, 04:12 AM
Theres a blower wheel that circulates air from the inside of the dryer, through the lint filter, across the heating elements, and back into the inside of the dryer.

The wheel will look something like this

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/parts/303836_t.jpg

but more cheaply made.

I'm guessin the lint you did not clean and shoved further down when you replaced the screen jammed that wheel. When you turned the dryer on the wheel broke at the part that revolves around the axle. The outside section of that wheel remains stationary while the inside turns and grinds against it.

Well to solve the problem your going to have to open the dryer up. Remove the wheel parts(its held on by a clip), go to an appliance part store, get a new wheel, and reassemble the dryer. Its not a hard fix and its going to set you back about $20.

Stu