PDA

View Full Version : Nepotism

HoldingFolding
09-08-2005, 02:05 AM
I was listening to Landrieu get hammered by Anderson 'someone' on CNN yesterday and, as she spouted moronic platitudes, she mentioned "My Daddy was the mayor of NO". I'm not that well-versed in US politics, but the Bush & Kennedy clans both seem to be further examples of power being 'inherited'. How widespread is it and do Americans believe that it's acceptable in a meritocracy?

As a corollary, I don't see that much of this type of high-profile nepotism in UK politics (correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't think it would be easily accepted. I guess Henry VIII & Elizabeth II take care of all that bollox /images/graemlins/confused.gif

tylerdurden
09-08-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How widespread is it and do Americans believe that it's acceptable in a meritocracy?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not uncommon, but it's not widespread. The sixth president of the US was the son of the 2nd (John Quincy Adams and John Adams). The current president is the son of a previous president. Our last vice president was the son of a Senator and was basically raised from birth with the goal of becoming president.

The current US representative in the district I grew up in is the son of the guy who was the representative when I lived there. His son has never had another job, he won the seat right after getting out of law school. FWIW, he seems less controversial and more generally liked than his father.

In local politics it's even more common.