PDA

View Full Version : Agassi/Blake

istewart
09-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Not good for Agassi so far.

Hal 2000
09-07-2005, 10:48 PM
I think Agassi takes the second here. Has 5 written all over it.

Voltron87
09-07-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm looking forward to this.

A bunch of annoying people who i share a tv with made me watch most of the davenport game on earlier. It was the worst match I've ever seen. Women's tennis is just a waste of time, especially when you watch a mens match after it and get to see the imbalances.

The russian one did not have her [censored] together at all. Davenport sucks pretty bad too. I cant believe whoever had the remote would rather watch those two than Giambi run around the bases. I dont get it. They changed the channel the minute the ball fell in the stands.

Hal 2000
09-07-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking forward to this.

A bunch of annoying people who i share a tv with made me watch most of the davenport game on earlier. It was the worst match I've ever seen. Women's tennis is just a waste of time, especially when you watch a mens match after it and get to see the imbalances.

The russian one did not have her [censored] together at all. Davenport sucks pretty bad too. I cant believe whoever had the remote would rather watch those two than Giambi run around the bases. I dont get it. They changed the channel the minute the ball fell in the stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

No non-Yankee fan needs to see another celebration....

Voltron87
09-07-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

No non-Yankee fan needs to see another celebration....

[/ QUOTE ]

That is bad remote etiquette though, just switching the channel the minute the second the ball hits the seats. Let me savor it for a minute...

Plus, that match was atrocious. The russian girl could not serve the ball. And Davenport is a horse.

kyro
09-07-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And Davenport is a horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez. You call a pitcher a horse and it's a compliment.

Interestingly enough, I had this conversation with my friends this past week. They all think she's ugly. I don't think she's awful. No Anna or Sharapova...but doable.

istewart
09-07-2005, 11:10 PM
I liked the last ~half of the Davenport match actually. Dementieva is not bad-looking, IMO.

Hal 2000
09-07-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked the last ~half of the Davenport match actually. Dementieva is not bad-looking, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a Sharapova-Dementieva final? Get the lube ready....

istewart
09-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Agassi...

Russ McGinley
09-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Blake is strug-a-ling. I think Agassi may run out of gas in the 5th though if he gets it that far.

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 12:48 AM
blake is set up, dont blow it man

Russ McGinley
09-08-2005, 12:53 AM
AGASSI BREAKS

Unreal!

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 12:55 AM
damn i wish i was there.

the commentators are getting really annoying though. more reason to be there.

Russ McGinley
09-08-2005, 01:00 AM
Wow its match point if the line judge doesn't blow that call.

Tiebreak. What a match.

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 01:05 AM
wide oh [censored]!

Russ McGinley
09-08-2005, 01:07 AM
NO WAY BLAKE IMPOSSIBLE SHOT DOWN MATCH POINT

This crowd is going berzerk.

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 01:07 AM
jesus. what a shot by blake on agassis match point. 6-6.

Russ McGinley
09-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Wow. Just. Wow.

MEbenhoe
09-08-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

woo woo agassi

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

for real, my mouth was hanging open during the last two points.

BottlesOf
09-08-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not good for Agassi so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow

Hal 2000
09-08-2005, 01:15 AM
You know Agassi was gonna pounce on that second serve at 7-6. Unforgettable match.

09-08-2005, 01:18 AM
what a f*cking match, agassi, what a legend

MarkSummers
09-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Wow! what a match. Blake had Agassi on the ropes so many times though. 2-0 in sets couldn't finish it. 4-2 on serve in the 5th, couldn't finish. Won the first 3 points of the tiebreaker and we all know how that ended. I'm not a big tennis expert but I know a good match when I see one.

ClaytonN
09-08-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You know Agassi was gonna pounce on that second serve at 7-6. Unforgettable match.

[/ QUOTE ]

I more or less called that one out loud. He had ripped countless return serve winners to that point, and Blake was gonna toss one out there for him to smash.

Bukem_
09-08-2005, 03:44 AM
Wow, what a match.

Only tennis I've ever seen on TV where you really get the feeling you are missing out on something special by not being there.

istewart
09-08-2005, 08:46 AM
That was insane. Wow.

UCF THAYER
09-08-2005, 10:05 AM
In my area they cut off the tennis when it was 2-2 in the 5th set to show Law and Order. I was so [censored] pissed.

YoureToast
09-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Possibly the best tennis match I've ever seen (I grew up with the game). The quality of play in the 5th was astounding. The quality of Agassi's play in the 3rd-5th was incredible. If Agassi wins this tournament, in my humble opinion, you have to put him in the same category as Laver, Sampras, Borg and Federer -- one of the all time greats. Right now, he's close, but this would secure his legacy - doing it at 35 with the quality of tennis being 10 times as good as it was 10 years ago.

MarkSummers
09-08-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In my area they cut off the tennis when it was 2-2 in the 5th set to show Law and Order. I was so [censored] pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was moved from USA to CBS

mmbt0ne
09-08-2005, 11:24 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Possibly the best tennis match I've ever seen (I grew up with the game).

[/ QUOTE ]

So, apparently you grew up AFTER the Roddick/El Aynaoui match in 2003. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

j/k though, because Agassi/Blake was amazing. I can't even be mad that Blake didn't pull it off.

YoureToast
09-08-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Possibly the best tennis match I've ever seen (I grew up with the game).

[/ QUOTE ]

So, apparently you grew up AFTER the Roddick/El Aynaoui match in 2003. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

j/k though, because Agassi/Blake was amazing. I can't even be mad that Blake didn't pull it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said I've watched EVERY tennis match /images/graemlins/smile.gif...But I will tell you that there is no way any Roddick match will ever compete with the best Agassi match. To me, Roddick, as good as his is, is not a very interesting player to watch. The big serve, big forehand combination just isn't that interesting to me. I think the best match ever played probably was the Borg/McEnroe Wimbleton final (was it 81?) mostly due to their contrasting styles and their individual brilliance. What was so amazing about last night's match was the brilliant play of Agassi, particularly when the match was on the line. His service break in the 5th (I think he was down 5-4) was outrageous. His play was virtually flawless after that and Blake stepped up his game bigtime as well in the 5th. Just a fun match -- it helps that I've been a big Agassi fan.

mmbt0ne
09-08-2005, 11:43 AM
I'll just give you the match score, and tell you that if you can ever find some way to watch it, you need to.

Australian Open Quarterfinals

Andy Roddick def. Younes El Aynaoui

4-6, 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4, 21-19

YoureToast
09-08-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll just give you the match score, and tell you that if you can ever find some way to watch it, you need to.

Australian Open Quarterfinals

Andy Roddick def. Younes El Aynaoui

4-6, 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4, 21-19

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...I kind of remember that now....and will look for it on ESPN classic or something.

Wilbix
09-08-2005, 12:21 PM
This match could have gotten there. 5th set tiebreaks are stupid. but what a shoT!

mmbt0ne
09-08-2005, 03:29 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
This match could have gotten there. 5th set tiebreaks are stupid. but what a shoT!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on all counts. I hate 5th set tie breakers. Everyone probably got cheated out of another hour or so of great tennis.

Russ McGinley
09-08-2005, 09:41 PM
What a difference a day makes. Go from Agassi/Blake instaclassic to Nalbandian laying an egg against Federer. I guess that break in the opening game of the match pissed Roger off.

jmillerdls
09-09-2005, 06:03 AM
I like Agassi as much as the next guy, but putting him in a category with Sampras is crazy. He's clearly a step down. I may be wrong, but Federer's numbers are already better than Agassi's...and well, Federer is not quite 35 yet. Agassi has had an amazing career, especially these last 5-6 years. But, he couldn't beat Sampras, and he won't beat Federer.

YoureToast
09-09-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Agassi as much as the next guy, but putting him in a category with Sampras is crazy. He's clearly a step down. I may be wrong, but Federer's numbers are already better than Agassi's...and well, Federer is not quite 35 yet. Agassi has had an amazing career, especially these last 5-6 years. But, he couldn't beat Sampras, and he won't beat Federer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really talking about productivity over a whole career. Each playing at their best, Agassi could never beat either Sampras or Federer. That I agree with. But I think you have the look at their whole careers and if Agassi can win the US Open at 35, all I'm saying is that you have to say he's one of the all time greats (especially if he beats Federer in the final). One thing that Agassi has over Sampras, by the way, is a French Open win. To me, thats significant and its the one thing that (like McEnroe) somewhat taints his brilliance.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really talking about productivity over a whole career. Each playing at their best, Agassi could never beat either Sampras or Federer. That I agree with. But I think you have the look at their whole careers and if Agassi can win the US Open at 35, all I'm saying is that you have to say he's one of the all time greats (especially if he beats Federer in the final). One thing that Agassi has over Sampras, by the way, is a French Open win. To me, thats significant and its the one thing that (like McEnroe) somewhat taints his brilliance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Agassi deserves to be mentioned with the all-time greats.

SL__72
09-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Sampras:
Singles Record: 762 - 222
Singles Titles: 64
Prize Money: $43,280,489

Agassi:
Singles Record: 854 - 264
Singles Titles: 60
Prize Money: $30,126,275

Head to Head Sampras won 20 times and Agassi won 14.

Overall, they are pretty comparable.

Voltron87
09-09-2005, 03:08 PM
sampras- 14 grand slams
agassi- 8

sampras won wimbledon 7 out of 8 times from 1993-2000.

agassi is a legend and what hews doing at 35 is amazing, but theyre not pretty comparable.

mmbt0ne
09-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Being awesome at one tournament doesn't necessarily make Sampras a better overall player than Agassi. How many French Opens does Sampras have? Hell, how many tournaments did he win on clay period? (that second one is serious, because I honestly don't know)

Voltron87
09-09-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Being awesome at one tournament doesn't necessarily make Sampras a better overall player than Agassi. How many French Opens does Sampras have? Hell, how many tournaments did he win on clay period? (that second one is serious, because I honestly don't know)

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt he ever won a clay tournament.

Sampras reached a level of dominance that Agassi could never touch.

istewart
09-09-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, the French Open doesn't count /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ryanghall
09-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I saw Roddick/El Aynouei and Chang/Lendl and I enjoyed this match more. That may have to do with Agassi being my all time favorite player though.

Ryan

ryanghall
09-09-2005, 08:12 PM
You're underestimating Agassi's accomplishments.

First of all, he beat Sampras MANY times.

Second of all, Sampras blew chunks on clay. He never won the French. Agassi has won them all.

Thirdly, more of Sampras' grand slam wins were at Wimbledon than the other 3 combined.

Fourth, Agassi wasn't and isn't BORING like Sampras.

Oh yeah, Sampras walked away from the game, as well, where Andre is still playing at a top level (I assure you Sampras wouldn't be at this level if he'd continued).

Ryan

jmillerdls
09-10-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're underestimating Agassi's accomplishments.

First of all, he beat Sampras MANY times.

Second of all, Sampras blew chunks on clay. He never won the French. Agassi has won them all.

Thirdly, more of Sampras' grand slam wins were at Wimbledon than the other 3 combined.

Fourth, Agassi wasn't and isn't BORING like Sampras.

Oh yeah, Sampras walked away from the game, as well, where Andre is still playing at a top level (I assure you Sampras wouldn't be at this level if he'd continued).

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that might be in part because he was at that level for most of his career rather than just then end of it. I'm not sure where boring comes into play, but I know that I much preferred watching Sampras play that Agassi. Maybe you like the endless returns until his opponent makes a mistake like Agassi plays, but I prefer the great serve and volleys, or the monster winners from the forehand side that Pete had.
But, that's all a matter a taste. Career accomplishments, being the best player of his given time period, Sampras is clear cut above.