PDA

View Full Version : String Theory -- Three hour Nova special available online

TStoneMBD
09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
For those not familiar with string theory, it is a theory that combines the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics that is currently in heated debate by pioneering physicists.

Below is a three hour documentary on the subject. I am currently in the middle of the program at 1.5 hours. The first hour provides historical innovations by leading scientists Newton and Einstein, among others. The program then goes on to explain the theory of relativity and the theory of quantum mechanics and how both theories cannot coexist in mathematical formula. It then introduces the idea of string theory and how if proven, should revolutionize the way we perceive the universe in dramatic ways.

The first half of the second hour explains the differences in subatomic particles and then proceeds to explain how string theory works.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

dogsballs
09-09-2005, 12:00 AM
cool. thanks.

I love that stuff...physics and theoretical physics. something real and interesting. Who cares about religion and other fairy stories...

ChromePony
09-09-2005, 02:19 AM
I remember watching this when it first aired last year sometime. Some of the visuals are a little tacky if I recall correctly, but its a great place to start for people who are interested in this stuff but arent willing or able to wade through a wordy book (or two or three) on the matter.

Yads
09-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks. I have that guy's book of the same name. It was pretty interesting. I'll have to check it out.

dynamite
09-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks! I loved this when I saw it on TV. Did that guy write books?

dogsballs
09-09-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks! I loved this when I saw it on TV. Did that guy write books?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Called funnily enough: The Elegant Universe.

MelchyBeau
09-10-2005, 02:57 AM
Kaku has also written some interesting books on this subject.

I'd also suggest you read a book called Flatland. Although it isn't about string theory per se, It discusses how a 2d person would view a 3d object. Since there are extra dimensions in String theory, this might give you an idea of whats happening

Melch

Jeff V
09-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Although very elegant the mathmatics of string theory don't work unless you start with a made up set of numbers to make it work.

09-10-2005, 02:50 PM
This is great, but it's even better to watched stoned.

TStoneMBD
09-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Also, for those who like this sort of thing, there are more free NOVA programs available here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/programs.html