PDA

View Full Version : CPU usage 100% for hours

PrincipalSkinner
09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
When I have 12 tables up along with pokertracker and pokeraceHUD and multi table helper and etc., my cpu usage stays pegged at 100% for 4-5 hours at a time. I am wondering if this kind of workload will materially shorten the life of my computer (a laptop) in which case I can close down pokertracker and HUD; or does it have no long-term ill effects? Thanks.

Nomad84
09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Increasing the time between imports in PT may help unless the problem is just that it is an old computer. Sounds like PT is attempting a new import when it hasn't yet finished the last one.

icepick
09-07-2005, 11:13 PM
100% CPU for hours? Pffft. I've run my PC's at 100% for years on end. They've all been desktops, for what that's worth. The fans tend to be the first things to go.

Seth Money
09-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Ummm... just thought I would chime in, my roommate is a computer junky and well if your computer is running at 100% for hours on end, it is literally burning itself to death. Your going to overheat the thing if you persist, seen it happen and it sucks ass the whole mother board gets shot and aint chit u can do.

MyMindIsGoing
09-08-2005, 03:30 AM
If your computer breaks beacuse you have 100% cpu usage, then the cooling is not ok.

icepick
09-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Which part of my post didn't you understand?

100% CPU usage, all day, everday. I think my record uptime was nearing 700 days. It isn't that big of a deal, provided your cooling is decent.

bort411
09-08-2005, 11:26 AM
This is wrong. 100% usage just means you are getting the most possible out of the processor. Your supposed to be able to run at full load for long periods of time. Why would computer manufacturers list the number of CPU cycles in each processor if using that many cycles was detrimental?

Also, in the case of several Pentium chips, it is incredibly difficult to burn something out, as there is built in heat monitoring software to gradually shut the processor down. AMD, as I understand it, will keep running at normal speeds in the event of a fan/heatsink problem and will probably burn itself out.

krimson
09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Running at 100% will slightly reduce the life span of the CPU, but I would imagine that it will last longer than you plan to use it no matter how hard you run it.

Usually when you hear of people burning out chips from running it too hard, overclocking or failed cooling is involved.

MyMindIsGoing
09-08-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Running at 100% will slightly reduce the life span of the CPU, but I would imagine that it will last longer than you plan to use it no matter how hard you run it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You buy things and not plant to use them so they will last longer? What a waste.

Freakin
09-08-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You buy things and not plant to use them so they will last longer? What a waste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still haven't tossed out my Celeron SL32A.... Though it does carry a certain sentimental value...

rlr
09-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Wellll....my cousins friends roomates friend is a computer junky and he says it's fine.

Really, it should be fine. The first thing to go is indeed the fans and they are rated in hours. Replace them. I would not worry about this as long as you have sufficient cooling. It is likely the thing will be long outdated before you fry it.