PDA

View Full Version : Two cell phones, one number

STLantny
09-07-2005, 08:01 PM
I am going to be buying a cell phone soon, actually 2, my sprint that I got a couple months ago isnt hacking it. I want a Treo 650 for work/day time things when Im wearing a suit, or have my laptop case with me, and a razor/very small phone, that I can carry with me when I go out at night etc. I dont want to ahve to carry the treo around all the time, is the point. Can you have 2 cell phones with the same phone number? I dont want 2 seperate lines/numbers, because thats a pain for business etc, and forwarding numbers all the time is also a pain, but Ill do that if I have too.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-07-2005, 08:05 PM
I think you're going to have to forward (and pay an extra $10-$20 per month for the second line).

KJS
09-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Get Cingular and you can swap your SIM card between any phones you have. T-Mobile too, but they suck.

KJS

STLantny
09-07-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get Cingular and you can swap your SIM card between any phones you have. T-Mobile too, but they suck.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you do that with Sprint (Im under contract), and is there anyway to copy sim cards (illegal/legal), so I dont have to swap everyday?

LethalRose
09-07-2005, 08:09 PM
I Dont think switching out your sim card changes the assigned IP..I could be wrong. Sim cards are used to store personal contact information and phone settings. The phone IP is assigned by your phone carrier and doesnt change

mmbt0ne
09-07-2005, 08:11 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I Dont think switching out your sim card changes the assigned IP..I could be wrong. Sim cards are used to store personal contact information and phone settings. The phone IP is assigned by your phone carrier and doesnt change

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you mean, but my old phone got pretty much eaten by my dog. I put the SIM card into my sister's old phone, and have been using that ever since.

LethalRose
09-07-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you mean, but my old phone got pretty much eaten by my dog. I put the SIM card into my sister's old phone, and have been using that ever since.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think you're supposed to be able to do that..hmm

STLantny
09-07-2005, 08:16 PM
I did some googling, and yes, your sim card is what identifies your phone etc. Its possible to have 2 phones with the same number, but I do not think its necassarily legal.

mason55
09-07-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think you're supposed to be able to do that..hmm

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the entire point of s SIM card...

LethalRose
09-07-2005, 08:21 PM
so whats to stop me for getting multiple phones using the same sim card and charging people to use it/

TomHimself
09-07-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so whats to stop me for getting multiple phones using the same sim card and charging people to use it/

[/ QUOTE ]no one

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-07-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably the fact that nobody would pay you to use it.

peachy
09-07-2005, 10:03 PM
I have cingular and do this b/w my Razor and another phone

lucas9000
09-07-2005, 10:36 PM
have you tried calling sprint and asking them?

BoogerFace
09-08-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have cingular and do this b/w my Razor and another phone

[/ QUOTE ]

How long have you been doing this? I heard a rumor that this will wear out you SIM card.

NorCalJosh
09-08-2005, 10:43 AM
wow... its crazy some of the misconceptions about sim cards here.

to the op- i have no idea if its possible with Sprint. It's definately possible with cingular, but switching out your sim card every night would get a little tedious if you asked me. besides which if your locked into a contract with sprint, you'd have to buy the phones full price. better to just break contract with sprint and come to cingular and purchase the phones at the discounted rate, as it will be a minimum of 100 dollars more per phone than the new contract rate to purchase the phones now. sprints cancellation fee is probably ~175 or so if i remember correctly. and you get the benefits of a larger calling network, rollover minutes, and all the rest of my sales pitch. you know.

besides that its definately possible, to all the other genius' int he thread=p. once you've purchased 2 phones and a sim card, why would it not be legal for you to switch your property around in whatever order you wanted to put it? and it definately doesnt wear out your sim card any faster. what possible reasoning could there be behind that?

like another user said, this is one of the main points of having a smart chip, so i'm not sure why it would be illegal or bad for the chip.