PDA

View Full Version : Stealing EV - lorinda's action bluff

pergesu
09-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Read lorinda's article (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue8/lorinda0805.html)

I was messing around with SNGPT and saw that sometimes I make a push that's +EV, but if I get called I lose money...despite it being a bad call on my opponents part. So if I lose money, and he loses money, where does it go? To the other players, of course - we all know that.

But what if you didn't put yourself in positions where your opponent could make a bad play but still hurt you? What if you played in a manner that enticed your opponents to make these plays against each other? You make a minimum investment, which carries a high likelihood of getting your opponents to essentially hand over EV. With little (or no!) risk.

I believe that's the concept behind lorinda's action bluff. Apparently she says that she has a tough time finding it...so what other things can we do that achieve the same result? How can we risk as little as possible to manipulate our opponents into dumping us some of their EV?

bones
09-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Bump, cause I think it's an important topic, but I have nothing of mathematical significance to contribute.

microbet
09-07-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm just throwing this out for discussion sake, not endorsing it: being a little extra laggy in level 1 might loosen the table up.

Jman28
09-07-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just throwing this out for discussion sake, not endorsing it: being a little extra laggy in level 1 might loosen the table up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably would have that effect, but you would usually lose more equity by playing that way than you would gain if you happen to make it to the bubble.

This is a good topic. I'm gonna think about it and come back if I have anything. Lorinda did say they are hard to find.