PDA

View Full Version : Will Bill Frist run in '08?

Jurollo
09-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Just curious if anyone knows if Frist is planning a run at the presidency in '08? I am a democrat (more like middle of the road yet I still ike Frist.
~Justin

andyfox
09-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Seems he's running (at least from the number of trips he's made to New Hampshire).

What do you like about him?

Zoelef
09-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes, he is running for the presidency in '08; he stated a while ago that he wasn't seeking another Senate term so he could begin campaigning after he retires from his seat.

DVaut1
09-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Consensus seems to be that he does indeed plan to run. He's been visiting battleground states and separating himself from the President on key political issues (stem cell research). He's pledged to leave the Senate after 2006, which would set him up ideally for a Presidential run.

His position as Senate Majority leader has left him vulnerable to much criticism, not only from the left, but also from his political allies on the right - his failures in the Bolton nomination have led to charges of political weakness, and certainly led to questions of his viability among party insiders and activists (IOW, the make-or-break-you people with the campaign cash).

And as Ron Faucheux wrote in this month's Campaigns and Elections, running out of the Senate is a tall order; although perhaps his pending retirement may alleviate some of the inherent problems of trying to run for President from the Senate.

In short, I think it's clear he's running. But it seems like an uphill battle. Of course, it's still early, and anything could happen.

slamdunkpro
09-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Best analysis so far

CCass
09-07-2005, 10:53 PM
As a Tennessean, I would like to clear one thing up. Frist isn't "giving up" his Senate seat for a run at the presidency. He has stated from day one that he would only serve 2 terms, and he is keeping that promise.

And he is definitely running for president, but I don't think he can win the nomination.