PDA

View Full Version : sng's only for me

09-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Well, i've decided to accept that i'm a sng player. I suck at cash games. Now that my bankroll is hurting from playing cash games, and after months of winning money at sng's and dropping it on cash games (yes i'm a hard head) it's time for me to accept it and start focusing everything i've got on sng's and tournaments. So move over guys, let me grab a chair, and i hope you all welcome me in with open arms. Leave my money alone though.

sng-sam
09-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Been There Done that. Good luck. Making money is what it's all about. Make it. I think some people (including me at one time) felt that "all the real poker players played cash", if you think this is true and you want to be respected then play cash, but if you are into making money and you can do so at SNG's then do it.

Straight Flushes,

SAM

MegaBet
09-07-2005, 06:42 PM
What level?

Freudian
09-07-2005, 06:50 PM
I play SnGs most of the time but I play a MTT each day, some NL and other cashgames while clearing bonuses. I find mixing a bit really helps against getting bored with SnGs.

binions
09-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Me too. Going to concentrate on SNGs for awhile. Good luck.

09-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Megabet...you'll find me at the 55 sng's on party for a while, then i'll switch to stars for a bit, then to UB, and back to party. All at that level probably til the end of the year, then so long as my bankroll allows it....i'll start moving to the 100s.

raptor517
09-07-2005, 08:59 PM
cash games are where the big money is for the people that play VERY well. the level at which you can play doesnt really top out. as long as you have the cash, you can find a game. in sngs, you have to have a full group of people ready and willing to shell out. no one is going to do that unless they undestand the structure correctly. in sngs the law of diminishing returns will come into effect much quicker. be wary. holla

lastchance
09-07-2005, 09:01 PM
You mean SNG's instead of cash games at the end, right?

raptor517
09-07-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edited thanks. holla

Maulik
09-07-2005, 09:20 PM
blah blah blah deeper stacks = more post flop play.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, he does.

09-07-2005, 09:21 PM
I did also mention that i'll be in a lot of multi table tournaments as well.

Michael C.
09-07-2005, 11:14 PM
I haven't played a cash game in a year- just SNGs and MTTs when I have the time. When I play cash games I sometimes steam, plus it's a lot easier for me to show courage in a 109 or 215 when I think it's the right play than to risk all of my chips in a no limit ring game. I'm sure there are a lot of great players making money at cash games, but I just think my makeup is better suited for SNGs, at least for now.

se2schul
09-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Welcome to the "Kindergarden of Poker" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm trying to go the other way... I do well (not amazing) at SNGs and in the local live tournaments we have here, but I want to learn post-flop play. Also, during the local live tournaments, I see the crappy players bust out and immediately start donating their money to a cash game. It seems that the tournament side games have full tables with only 2 or 3 good players. There was a recent tournament, 80 people. I played in it, but my buddy who plays only cash games went for the side games. After about 7 hours, I busted, but I was ITM. I made $90. In the same amount of time, my buddy made close to $500.

They are certainly different skills.

HesseJam
09-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm doing well in limit cash games but also like to mix it up with SnGs (about 100 22s per month). I think the cash games helped me getting started at SnGs and playing SnGs helped me with my cash game. Still have to plunge into NL cash. Somehow, I have a lot of respect of NL cash games...

This month I will try to give the limit tourneys more action. I only accidentally play them but usually feel better playing them and achieve better numbers.

fnord_too
09-08-2005, 11:01 AM
I play everything, but go through phases where I focus on one thing. Right now it is sit and goes. One very real reason to play multiple games is that what the popular, money making games will be in a year or two is not something anyone knows. If you play multiple games, you will get experience in what may be the next thing, and you will develop your overall poker skill, which is something you can apply to whatever the next thing may be.