PDA

View Full Version : Playing Poker Full Time QUARTER 3.3 (10 Month Report)

RollaJ
09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Just to recap......
In November 2004 I left my Wall St. job and started playing poker fulltime. As you may have guessed it was really a long time dream come true. In February I posted my first progress report, and things were going bout as well as I could have hoped for. As you can see from my past posts, my goal is not to be world famous via a tourney win, or make millions. It is to support me and my family and have a more comfortable lifestyle without having to answer to the man.

Here is a link to the Q2.5 report: Q 2.5 Report (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=2813507&Forum= ,f14,&Words=%2Breport%20%2Bdeath&Searchpage=0&Limi t=25&Main=2811904&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=& daterange=0&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&olderty pe=&bodyprev=#Post2813507)

Well here we are again!

Since the last report things have been looking up!
After the Q2.5 report, I had finally gotten to the point where I felt comfortable moving up to $5-10 NL as my primary game. This was something that many people had suggested to me both on 2+2 and in the real world as well, for quite a while. But considering my aversion to going broke I wanted to be as sure as possible that I was ready to make the move. A big confidence booster was when PokerRoom got rid of their 2-5 NL game which I loved. All of a sudden all the players I was beating on a regular basis started playing 3-6NL and 5-10 NL..... so I followed them to the 5-10 game, and I felt comfortable with it.
So I had officially moved up, and was happy with the move as I was still doing well, in fact much better /images/graemlins/grin.gif I have even played 10-20 NL a few times, and have won on each occasion. In my mind, considering this is now my job, I got a nice raise. And I love having a job that I now get paid based on performance.
As for the troll types who berated me last report for not making enough money, I think that was uncalled for. Some people make more, some make less, just like any other job. While I suppose they were just a bunch of losers (in all senses of the word) I have been making a lot more recently, just to make them happy /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Also, Id like to make a comment about all the quit your job articles. Just like when I first wrote about my plans (which you can find in the Q1 report), people tend to be very negative about poker as a job. Be advised however, that while it is not for everyone, and you should be very careful in making such a decision to play pro, it can be done. I think you have to be a very down to earth clear headed person to pull it off however. Be realistic in your goals though and it can be done. Those who say it is a tough way to make an easy living, I suggest that is not that much tougher than grinding it out at a regular job. In fact I havent found it all too tough yet, but time will tell.... G_d willing all will continue to go well.
Id also like to quote Mason Malmuth who said it all, when he wrote:
<font color="blue">
I suspect that many people who try to turn pro have similar motivations. They are simply looking for a better life, one they might enjoy. If it means they make less money, drive an old car, and don't live in a fancy house, then that's fine. This is exactly what happened to me and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. </font>

Some Numbers
**Again, in my mind this is a service to the community. I gain nothing by posting this, but hope to give others contemplating the move, an idea of what they can perhaps expect.

Some numbers:
10 Months 7 days:
+68,143
1429 hours
$47.66/hour
271 days played
39 days off
183 winning days
88 losing days
Longest Plateau 3/17-5/15 (255 hours of “break even” poker….. YIKES)
Best Day +2735 (8/5)
Best Month +$13,486
Worst Day -$2000 (2/10)
Longest Winning Streak 13 days
Longest Losing Streak 4 days
Win Rate Weekdays 44.71/hour
Win Rate Weekends 52.60/hour

<font color="red"> As usual, any questions are more than welcomed </font>

JustToast
09-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Great stats, nice report.

GL in the future.

MicroBob
09-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Don't let stockman see this post!!

Well done DeathValley and continued success!

I agree with your general ideas about being 'down to earth' to pull it off.

For obvious reasons, most people who think about being a 'poker pro' just think it's all about being a good poker player (meaning that you play your cards well).

But being 'well grounded' and having the discipline to practice good money management are very much overlooked and sometimes practically ignored.
this is kind of interesting imo as it should be obvious to anyone (imo) that these are the things that bankrupt you as a player....not a bad-run of cards.

EVERYONE has bad runs of cards. So saying that you got 'busted by a bad run of cards' is not quite accurate now that I think about it.

It would be more accurate to say 'I got busted because I wasn't prepared for the bad run of cards that I KNEW was going to come eventually. why I wasn't prepared for it is basically because of my own self-delusions back when I thought I was indestrcutable.'

The fact that you came out on the other side of that lengthy break-even streak and have done so well is the much truer sign of your abilities and professionalism.

Baulucky
09-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Congrats.

Your first year is going to end about twice as good
($ wise) than my first year (2004).

Yet, I'm a bit surprised that your numbers look a bit low for the limits you are playing. What's your BB/100 at NL?. I thought the NL "golden standard in BB/100" was higher than the corresponding LHE standard. (about 10 BB/100 against 3 BB/100).

I repeat: Good job.

scott8
09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Great post.

My biggest problem as a pro is my growing stomach /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Uglyowl
09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Nice job, I am jealous. I am impressed how you had that long "plateau" and were able to bounce back!

MicroBob
09-07-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit surprised that your numbers look a bit low for the limits you are playing

[/ QUOTE ]

09-07-2005, 06:11 PM
nice solid numbers death!

bau you are a troll

RollaJ
09-07-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yet, I'm a bit surprised that your numbers look a bit low for the limits you are playing. What's your BB/100 at NL?. I thought the NL "golden standard in BB/100" was higher than the corresponding LHE standard. (about 10 BB/100 against 3 BB/100).

[/ QUOTE ]

Im really not sure what my BB/100 is as I am not a die hard PT kinda guy, and only started using it again a couple of months ago.
Keep in mind also that while I am now focusing on 5-10 NL, most of those numbers were from playing 2-4NL and 2-5NL.

Based on my hourly though, Id guess somewhere around 9 BB (big blinds) per hour, and probably around 9 BB/100 as I usually play 2 tables at a time (assuming 50 hands per hour per table at full ring game)....

9BB/100 for the 5-10
14BB/100 at 2-4 or 2-5

BTW since moving up to 5-10NL my hourly has been around $97

PS. Also, I dont play 10 hours a day like some online players, and these numbers dont include any rakeback I have earned

Tk79
09-07-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nice solid numbers death!

bau you are a troll

[/ QUOTE ]LOL

MicroBob
09-07-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my hourly has been around 97

[/ QUOTE ]

and you think that's enough to live on??

oh wait - did you mean 97 DOLLARS?
my bad.

RollaJ
09-07-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my hourly has been around 97

[/ QUOTE ]

and you think that's enough to live on??

oh wait - did you mean 97 DOLLARS?
my bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to 97 what? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Baulucky
09-07-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
most of those numbers were from playing 2-4NL and 2-5NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
and probably around 9 BB/100 as I usually play 2 tables at a time

[/ QUOTE ]

It now makes perfect sense.

Hey: Nothing wrong with making ONLY ~$75K on your first year... but I'm sure Ron Jeremy made more on his first year... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MicroBob
09-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Deutchmark??

Pesos??

Soles?? (the currency on Peru)

wall_st
09-07-2005, 06:57 PM
This is pretty interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

I have a couple of questions,

are you playing 6 max or full ring ?
Why only two tables ?
Is rakeback included in these numbers (please tell me you have it) ?

thanks

MicroBob
09-07-2005, 07:15 PM
I don't think these questions were intended for me but I will now make stuff up and answer for DeathValley anyway even though I don't know him.

1. DeathValley is playing full-ring

2. DeathValley prefers 2 tables because he is able to better focus on his opponents which is kinda important in NL. He could do more tables than that of course, but is concerned that he would suffer burn-out faster. This way he believes is +EV in that it allows to keep on chugging throughout the week. There's plenty to be observed on just 2 tables if one wants to pay attention.
Also - it increases DeathValley's chances of improving his game, thus allowing him to advance to 5/10 NL like he is now.

3. Yes. DeathValley has a good rake-plan on his pokerroom 'skin' of choice. His total income that he has stated does indeed include the rake-back and was instrumental in helping him stay around 'even' during that tough 2+ month stretch he had in there.

Other info about DeathValley that I"m going to make up.

DeathValley is a Sagitarrius and was also born under a full-moon.
His blood-type is AB-.
He's travelled a bit but has never been to Asia or Africa.
He enjoys movies, fine-dining and walks on the beach...has really good prospects....and is a nice catch for the right person.

Innocentius
09-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks for these reports! Even though I'm an amateur with no intentions of going pro, they are interesting to read. And they let me dream a little about doing what you do, even if in reality I quite like what I do for a living, and don't think pro poker is for me. (One of the big drawbacks for me, were I to go pro, would be all the effort I would have to spend learning how to play good poker /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Best of luck, and keep the reports coming!

RollaJ
09-07-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I'm sure Ron Jeremy made more on his first year... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats a hell of a memory /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RollaJ
09-07-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think these questions were intended for me but I will now make stuff up and answer for DeathValley anyway even though I don't know him.

1. DeathValley is playing full-ring <font color="red">Except this month when I am playing 5-max to generate a lot of rake so that I will earn a 40% RB rate for the next 12 months </font>

2. DeathValley prefers 2 tables because he is able to better focus on his opponents which is kinda important in NL. He could do more tables than that of course, but is concerned that he would suffer burn-out faster. This way he believes is +EV in that it allows to keep on chugging throughout the week. There's plenty to be observed on just 2 tables if one wants to pay attention. <font color="red"> Especially true since I like playing a lot of hands, in fact the average 2+2er would puke if they saw the hands I call raises with. That being said, these hands can only be played profitably if played very well </font>
Also - it increases DeathValley's chances of improving his game, thus allowing him to advance to 5/10 NL like he is now. <font color="red"> Its also a lot more enjoyable, which many people seem to be willing to give up when playing more tables </font>

3. Yes. DeathValley has a good rake-plan on his pokerroom 'skin' of choice. His total income that he has stated does indeed include the rake-back and was instrumental in helping him stay around 'even' during that tough 2+ month stretch he had in there.
<font color="red"> Actually, I played quite a while without rakeback, but always tried to play with a bonus. Whenever I did not have one available I would play at UB where I always had tons or Bonus Dollars waiting, as stated though I now have rakeback at a site I like </font>

Other info about DeathValley that I"m going to make up.

DeathValley is a <font color="red"> Cancer </font> and was also born <font color="red"> showing </font> a full-moon.
His blood-type is AB<font color="red"> Your guess is as good as mine </font> -.
He's travelled a bit but has never been to Asia or <font color="red"> South America, Australia or Antarctica </font>.
He enjoys movies, <font color="red"> dining </font> and walks on the beach...has really good <font color="red"> elbows </font>....and <font color="red">was </font> a nice catch for the right person.

[/ QUOTE ]

tom
09-07-2005, 08:33 PM
You state that "I gain nothing by posting this.." but I hope that you are at least getting other people's appreciation (besides mine).

Thanks for the great post, and keep up the good work. Best of luck (is poker really about luck?) in the future.

sonny black
09-07-2005, 10:07 PM
It looks to me that you are basically playing, 5+ hours per day, approximately 6 days a week, are you noticing any burnout from the 6 day week, or is this compensated (for you) by the shorter days?

RollaJ
09-08-2005, 08:21 AM
I usually play a little almost every day, that said it might be only an hour or a half hour. The days listed as days off are days I didnt play at all. So when you take the 1/2 hour days and the full days off, I do really have a lot of days where I dont play. So No, I have felt no burnout whatsoever (happily) and I Love Play Poker /images/graemlins/cool.gif

lumpy19
09-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Congrats man and keep it up. People like me live through guys like you who actually have the balls to quit working for the man and take up poker.

Zetack
09-08-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About how many hands have you played during this stretch?

RollaJ
09-08-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About how many hands have you played during this stretch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im really not sure, I wasnt using my PokerTracker most of the time I would guess about 100 hands an hour though, so roughly 140,000

MicroBob
09-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Well. i tried.

your corrections to my feeble attempt at humor were actually pretty insightful as well though.

I've never been to any of those continents either (just N.A. and Europe for me...and I haven't been to Europe in 15 years) which is something I hope to change in the near future (although Antartica doesn't really appeal to me all that much).

RollaJ
09-08-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've never been to any of those continents either (just N.A. and Europe for me...and I haven't been to Europe in 15 years) which is something I hope to change in the near future

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a 2+2 trip to me /images/graemlins/laugh.gif