PDA

View Full Version : Gutshot hand

haakee
04-24-2003, 05:20 PM
Fairly loose 8-16 1/2 kill game. My image (if anybody's paying attention) is very tight. I haven't won a hand in over an hour. I get Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif on the button. There's a $3 blind on the button that acts as the rake. Four limpers to me and I complete my blind for $5 more. SB folds. BB checks. 6 of us see the flop for 1 bet each.

Flop is J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . EP bets. MP calls, I call with an overcard, a gutshot to the nut straight, and a backdoor smallish flush draw, and the BB calls. Four see the turn with 5BB in the pot.

Turn is Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif (J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif). I have top pair with a mediocre kicker. Checked around to me. I bet. EP and MP call. 3 to the river for 8BB.

River is T /forums/images/icons/club.gif (Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif). My gutshot made it! Checked to me. I bet. EP folds. MP raises. MP is extremely loose, and fairly passive. I have played with him before and I believe he views me as a tough opponent. I 3-bet. MP 4-bets. I call.

Thoughts?

Jeffage
04-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Fold preflop regardless of the live post (IMO). Your hand is a piece of crap. Flop and turn are fine. On the river, I would NOT 3-bet this opponent. You say he is passive. That means he is not raising u with less than a 9 for the chop. So ur reraise gains nothing but you will be 4-bet with the nuts or K9 by this player. Just my opinion, but if someone is passive they typically dont checkraise on a 4 str8 board without the straight or a higher one.

Jeff

Homer
04-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Ditto Jeffage, except that I would be tempted to call in LP for half-price. He's probably right that it's still better to fold, though.

-- Homer

DanS
04-24-2003, 09:18 PM
I remember someone saying that when two reasonable players disagree on a course of action, it's close enough to be negligible either way (in reference to Tyler and Jeffage).

"MP is extremely loose, and fairly passive."

Erik, you trying to set up a trick question here? If the dude's loose but passive, he's got the straight, or possibly, improbably, he's bluffing. He's not value checkraising two pair if he's passive; he doesn't sound like good enough of an opponent to make sure marginal yet thinking decisions. I'd call. That third bet doesn't gain you much against the typical Garden City opponent.

Dan

haakee
04-25-2003, 04:42 AM
He showed K9o for a bigger straight. In hindsight I didn't like my river raise, but it was hard for me to put him on a bigger straight when he check-raised me. I was fairly sure we would chop.

As for limping on the button, I think KTo or QTo are playable, and J8o is unplayable, Q9o is kinda grayish, I almost mucked it but I called because there were several limpers.