PDA

View Full Version : The buddist concept : existance is annihilation

09-07-2005, 02:51 PM
I read once in a book that the buddhists believe existance is annihiliation. They believe everything in nature is dynamic. It must change. If it doesn't change, it stays the same. Nothing stays the same forever, so everythign changes.

Everything can be broken down into near infinitely small co-ordinates of time and space. From one to the next nothing is exactly the same, everything is different. Thus everything is constantly reborn. Constantly destroyed.

Existance is kinetic.

Existance is annihilation.

Do I understand this correctly? I was pretty high when I read it.

MMMMMM
09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
That concept would be somewhat more accurate if you didn't put the emphasis on annihilation itself, but rather on the complete cycle of change, including the formation of compounded things and their subsequent decay.

In his final moments, the Buddha is said to have encouraged his followers to neither put their faith in him, nor in the order of monks, nor in the scripture; but rather to strive for understanding and to be lights unto themselves. He then said, "Decay is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence."--and passed away.

The best book I have read explaining Buddha's actual teachings, is What The Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula.

09-07-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That concept would be somewhat more accurate if you didn't put the emphasis on annihilation itself, but rather on the complete cycle of change, including the formation of compounded things and their subsequent decay.

In his final moments, the Buddha is said to have encouraged his followers to neither put their faith in him, nor in the order of monks, nor in the scripture; but rather to strive for understanding and to be lights unto themselves. He then said, "Decay is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence."--and passed away.

The best book I have read explaining Buddha's actual teachings, is What The Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula.

[/ QUOTE ]

The book I read was called "Foundations of Buddhist Logic" or something similiar. I am almost 100% certianly they were expressing the duality of time and space on many occasions, which shocks me, considering how long ago these writings were written.

tek
09-08-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am almost 100% certianly they were expressing the duality of time and space on many occasions, which shocks me, considering how long ago these writings were written.

[/ QUOTE ]

They essentially wrote it yesterday, as far as the timeline of civilization is concerned...

J. Stew
09-08-2005, 03:39 AM
True about the transiency (sp?) of nature . . . you have hair on your head one day, then you go bald, the trees have leaves, then they fall off and get recycled back into nature . . . It is the nature of nature to live and die and live and die again. 'Existence is annihilation' presumes that life is only annihilation of life which leaves out life as being alive. Life needs non-existence just as non-existence needs life, in terms of logic anyways. I think a Buddist would say life and non-life are two sides of the same coin.

BluffTHIS!
09-08-2005, 06:07 AM
Having preached
Oneness before,
Now preaches
Difference.

- A Zen Forest:Sayings of the Masters

tek
09-08-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a Buddist would say life and non-life are two sides of the same coin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Everything is a two-sided coin. Night/Day, wet/dry, great hands/or getting sucked out, etc. You can't have one without the other. Everything balances out.

09-08-2005, 09:22 AM
I sounds like the author (the buddhist monk)was pretty high when he "wrote" it too.lol I'm really just kidding.
Shooby