PDA

View Full Version : Do you get this joke?

09-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Descartes walks into a bar and orders a burger. The waitress asks him "do you want fries with that?". He replies, I think not, and *poof* he disappears.

09-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Isn't he the fellow who said, I think, therefore I am. IF he thinks not, therefore he is not

SpearsBritney
09-07-2005, 02:16 PM
he thinks, therefore he is......

NotReady
09-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Excellent. Mega lol.

VoraciousReader
09-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Ridiculous scenario. No man in the history of the world has ever turned down fries with his burger. Only women do that, and only when dieting. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

09-07-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ridiculous scenario. No man in the history of the world has ever turned down fries with his burger. Only women do that, and only when dieting. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I only ever buy burgers, I never get the meal, although I will often get more than one burger. Why buy the cow when you get the sex for free, as my grandma says.

superleeds
09-07-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only women do that, and only when dieting.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then they will pick at yours. Was Descartes also the origionator of 'Women. The rake of life'

chezlaw
09-07-2005, 05:05 PM
A group of men are taking in a forest with no women able to hear what they are saying. Are they still wrong?

theben
09-07-2005, 05:24 PM
i dont find that funny

VoraciousReader
09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only ever buy burgers, I never get the meal, although I will often get more than one burger. Why buy the cow when you get the sex for free, as my grandma says.

[/ QUOTE ]

Painfully transparent attempt to defend the integrity of your joke. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And, in the interests of full disclosure, I must admit that:
1. I am a woman and
2. I've done the "pick at the guy's fries" thing. Guilty as charged.

Superfluous Man
09-07-2005, 09:50 PM
The only time this joke was ever funny was when some moron told it thusly:

Moron: "So Sartre walks into a bar. The bartender asks, 'Do you want a beer?' Sartre says 'I think not' and disappears."

The room stares blankly at the moron for a couple seconds. I'm about to tell him he screwed up the joke, when he says, "c'mon guys, Sartre! You know, 'I think therefore I am?'"

At this point I laugh so hard I barely have enough breath to tell the moron what an idiot he was.

RJT
09-08-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A group of men are talking in a forest with no women able to hear what they are saying. Are they still wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has got to be one of the funniest jokes (truths?) I have read in a long time. I will borrow this one from you if you don’t mind?

chezlaw
09-08-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A group of men are talking in a forest with no women able to hear what they are saying. Are they still wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has got to be one of the funniest jokes (truths?) I have read in a long time. I will borrow this one from you if you don’t mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Help yourself, I did.

chez

J. Stew
09-08-2005, 03:02 AM
Descartes got it right only if the 'I' in "I think, therefore I am" refers to ego-mind or self-centered mind which does not perceive reality, but acts to reinforce a web of pre-conceived ideas that the unpure mind believes to be reality, but actually isn't (unpure mind being that which believes its' own thoughts to be real as opposed to pure mind which is just aware of the reality the senses perceive without prejudgment or discrimination). Hell is being a fly caught in this web of delusional ego-based thought while heaven is the opposite or, understanding that the ego-mind is artificially manufactured and separate from our true nature which is pure consciousness or God.

David Sklansky
09-08-2005, 03:23 AM
I'm not joking either. Not even ONE of the replies even mentioned the little problem of denying the antecedent? Shame on all of you.

09-08-2005, 03:40 AM
What's a good book I can buy on formal logic, because I don't even know what denying the antecedent means.

09-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Neither do I. Does that mean I'm stupid, or that David Skalansky needs to get out and go disco dancing?

09-08-2005, 10:56 AM
It's a joke.Calm down.
Shooby.
P.S. I'm allowed to tell someone else to calm down, but if I get in a stink about something that I'm interested in, that's something that shouldn't be questioned. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Shooby

Georgia Avenue
09-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Get thee to the GOOGLIBRARY (http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/deny.htm)!!!!!WON!11!!

09-08-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Descartes walks into a bar and orders a burger. The waitress asks him "do you want fries with that?". He replies, I think not, and *poof* he disappears.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason when i read this joke i couldnt help but think of the "Age of Enlightnment Joke" during the restaurant scene in swingers.

James Boston
09-08-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not even ONE of the replies even mentioned the little problem of denying the antecedent?

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I understand you correctly, he "thinks therefore he is," but just because he doesn't think doesn't mean he ceases to exist? I know nothing about formal logic.

DS, when you first heard the joke- "What's black and white, and red/read all over? A newspaper." - did ask the person telling you the joke what the likelyhood was that a zebra encountered someone painting a firetruck?