PDA

View Full Version : KJo raising on the button.

TripleH68
09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB is 50/5/1.1. CO is 29/10/1.6.

Is this preflop raise okay? I am making a conscious effort to be more aggressive with position.

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...intending to call a 3-bet. Thoughts?

istewart
09-07-2005, 01:39 PM
I would play it like that, but you're kinda hoping he has 65s here. The other two-pair hands are really out there even for a player with a 29% VP$IP (J2, 62, J5, etc). Then again I see a 22/6/1.2 or something limp UTG with K7o so who the hell knows what these guys are doing.

gharp
09-07-2005, 01:40 PM
I think this is OK preflop, but I tend to overvalue KJo. One problem here is that BB is unlikely to fold -- but he's very loose so he's probably calling with a crappier hand.

I'm trying to decide if I want to cap that river. I'm not afraid of 43, but a set looks like enough of a possibility that calling a 3-bet seems best.

car ramrod
09-07-2005, 01:41 PM
pre flop: good
flop: good
turn: co's stats make me think he may have a set, not sure what hands he is calling with pf that could be two pair.

river: not sure if I would raise here or not. If I do raise, I may have to fold to a 3 bet.

DeathDonkey
09-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Incredibly standard, I'd raise a blank river too.

-DeathDonkey

istewart
09-07-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Petertjem
09-07-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking the only way he has you beat is that he slowplayed his 2's or 5's. Otherwise you will have him beat. 66 would be a sloppy flop call....

milesdyson
09-07-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
good question. i'd rather fold a blank river than raise one.

davelin
09-07-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because DD has the discipline to fold to a 3-bet? *shrug*

MrWookie47
09-07-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because DD is a ferocious LAG? *shrug*

[/ QUOTE ]

Taxmanrick
09-07-2005, 02:30 PM
I think I would have played i the same way but called the river bet. Definitley wouldn't have folded to one bet. If I had raised, would have called a re-raise. To me he could have AJ, QJ, 2's, 5's, 6's, or a two pair J. 34s is also a possibility. How he woke up on the turn, I would put him on J6s.(don't know why he would play that, but lots of these people play suited crap)

Jeff P
09-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Did you have any read on the CO?

Pre-flop - I like the raise with position.

Flop - Betting when the field checks is obviously correct.

Turn
I can see the turn check-raise being a set of 5's or 6's, because many players like to slowplay trips/set on the flop and wait until the turn to raise. Putting him on a set may be too narrow, but if he is not a total LAG or donk, it seems reasonable. Perhaps I'm giving too much credit, but I've been reading several articles and posts that point out common mistakes in LHE, and calling turn raises (especially check-raises) without a very strong hand is one mistake that is given quite often as an example. In this case, I do think hero is ok to call the raise with TP/King kicker.

River
I am torn here. We obviously have enough of a hand to call the bet, but I don't know about raising. Not saying it's incorrect, but I don't know what the EV comparison of calling vs. raising would be. I'll try to do some calculations to see what I come up with, but would be interested in seeing others breaking this down (comparing EV of calling vs. raising).

JP

TripleH68
09-07-2005, 05:23 PM
I think I overplayed the river. I failed in the heat of battle to work the hand backward. CO was a pretty decent player and would have suspected me of betting the flop with overcards, but the turn check-raise heads up was likely:

65, 22, 55, 66, 43, AJ, KJ, QJ. I am behind too many hands here and since I really don't want to fold to a 3-bet calling must be the correct play.

Villain shows 43s for the turned str8.

crownjules
09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
I would raise KJo on the button after two limpers.

As an earlier poster stated, 65 is a reasonable two pair hand I can see from a CO with those numbers. The only other hand may be 43 for the made straight. He's semi-loose, but not loose enough that I can give him credit for playing the other two pair hands that are possible. Therefore, I'm more inclined to believe he's pushing a set.

I would call the river even though I improved.