PDA

View Full Version : Harrington vs.One-table tournaments forum

jt1
09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
I came across a hand in Harrington Vol. 1 pg 254 Part 5 betting before the flop problem 5-20. In this problem, he used an analysis that I used once and got reamed for. I also have a question about how the hand in this problem went down, specifically, if the readers of this forum see this play from villian very often and at what levels

middle of a one table live satellite. 7 players left. Harrington's hero has t1.070, 6'th in chips out of 7 but within just t500 from 2nd place and very much still in the hunt. SB has just t510 and BB has t1240. Hero has the button. Blinds are 100/200. Harrington says that it is in the middle of a one table sattelite so obviously it is a different structure than the sit & go's at Party.

folded to hero. Harrington says [ QUOTE ]
big blind is a solid player who occasionally makes aggressive moves. over the past couple rounds initial bets of three times the big blind have won many pots without a contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero has AQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif It's folded to Hero. Hero raises the minimum he thinks he can raise that will induce the blinds to fold. He figures it to be three times the big blind. SB folds. BB calls.

9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB goes all in for t840. Harrington's hero has 2-1 odds and calls.

BB showed down K2 and Ace high takes the pot. Do any of you guys see moves like this at Party's sit & go's and if so, how often and at what levels?

My other question is Harrington's logic. He basically proclaims and I'm paraphrasing bet the minimum amount that seems to be claiming the pot

Before I even read this chapter, I used that logic and posted the hand and everyone who responded reamed me.

It was a bubble situation and I was in SB. BB had me covered just slightly and we each had just about t1000. 2'nd place had about t1400. blinds were ar 75/150. and will be raised in about 4 hands.

I noticed that bb was tight weak and i figured that he would fold all but the better 15-20 percentile hands to a minimum raise. I figured that he would call those same hands even to an all-in. So when it was folded to me, i min raised with Q8o, but bb called. He had 78o and flopped a straight.

Obviously I misjudged my opponent, but everyone here said that my logic was flawed: I should have went all in. I took from that hand and the subsequent post that I should always respect the 10bb rule no matter my read.

I realilze that books and real life play don't always mesh. But where is the friction between this particular sit and go that i played in and Harrington's advice coming from. Why did his advice not apply for my hand. And let's assume that my read was correct and my villian irrationally decided that he was going to call, because, he was tired of folding the bb all the time.

edit: Harrington doesn't mention either way that he would have welcomed an all-in re-raise. Obviously he would have said to call such a re-raise, but he never says that that is why he reccomends only betting 3x the bb.

pooh74
09-07-2005, 01:13 PM
I hate a lot of the hand examples in Volume 2...but this is a sat so I think he is trying to get the most chips out of his good hands as possible since there is only one winner here.

09-07-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I noticed that bb was tight weak and i figured that he would fold all but the better 15-20 percentile hands to a minimum raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had BB folded to minraises before? What about minraises from the SB?

Coming from the small blind, that raise looks very weak and gives him 3:1 preflop, making many more hands playable than the top 15-20%.

I think with Harrington's hand, additional considerations come into play:

1) a better starting hand
2) his opponent might try a bluff and can be snapped off with A-high

It doesn't seem like your opponent would bluff at the flop. So, basically, you're just giving him a very cheap look at the flop. Going all in forces your opponent to put their tournament life to one decision. Even if they KNOW you are bluffing, they very often will not call.