PDA

View Full Version : I dont care about Katrina

MEbenhoe
09-07-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm sick of hearing about it, and it being the only topic on everyone's mind, and how people will find the stupidest ways to tie it into any little conversation. I had my first day of classes today and so far 2 for 2 professors have mentioned it, and this is just in stupid first day get the syllabus out and leave classes. Does this make me a bad person, or are others sick of it too?

09-07-2005, 12:51 PM
I know what you mean. I hate hearing about the Holocaust, Hiroshima, 9/11, and the tsunami. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Freakin
09-07-2005, 12:51 PM
I'd have to go with bad person on this one. I can understand not caring about it, but you shouldn't let other peoples' concern bother you.

istewart
09-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Katrina is an awful name too IMO. Anyone who names their daughter that should be locked up.

bishopstrt
09-07-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sick of hearing about it, and it being the only topic on everyone's mind....

[/ QUOTE ]

well let me be the first to apologize on behalf of the rest of the country for BORING you with such tedious world events. We'll try not to be so damn inconsiderate next time.

TheIrishThug
09-07-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Katrina is an awful name too IMO. Anyone who names their daughter that should be locked up.

[/ QUOTE ]

la katrina was the [censored], and u know that stewie. stop hating.

istewart
09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

la katrina was the [censored], and u know that stewie. stop hating.

[/ QUOTE ]

La Catrina. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

TheMainEvent
09-07-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel bad for girls named Katrina. I mean, no one is going to associate such a common name as "Andrew" with a hurricane, but with Katrina people will think about it every time.

istewart
09-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Can't be worse than Adolf.

thatpfunk
09-07-2005, 01:07 PM
They can just go by Kat, Kate, or Katrin.

SippinSoma
09-07-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to go with bad person on this one. I can understand not caring about it, but you shouldn't let other peoples' concern bother you.

[/ QUOTE ]

09-07-2005, 01:09 PM
No, this doesn't make you a bad person. This makes you a horrible person.

I'm sure the homeless now living in the Astrodome are sick of hearing about the "Poker Boom", as well. I can't believe you actually wrote this, seriously.

istewart
09-07-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the homeless now living in the Astrodome are sick of hearing about the "Poker Boom", as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF

Freakin
09-07-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the homeless now living in the Astrodome are sick of hearing about the "Poker Boom", as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously... this fell about 30 yards short of making any sense

TheBlueMonster
09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know what you mean. I hate hearing about the Holocaust, Hiroshima, 9/11, and the tsunami. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

freekobe
09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sick of hearing about it, and it being the only topic on everyone's mind, and how people will find the stupidest ways to tie it into any little conversation. I had my first day of classes today and so far 2 for 2 professors have mentioned it, and this is just in stupid first day get the syllabus out and leave classes. Does this make me a bad person, or are others sick of it too?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd care if you had a family member or friend who was affected by it. But, you're just some lame college student who thinks the world revolves around dollar pitchers and skipping class to play poker. Print your post out and read it in five yrs. You might think differently.

So, in summary, you're probably not a bad person, you're just horribly insensitive and selfish.

09-07-2005, 01:33 PM
That's because it's intended to be ironic. Sorry.

tripdad
09-07-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, this doesn't make you a bad person. This makes you a horrible person.

I'm sure the homeless now living in the Astrodome are sick of hearing about the "Poker Boom", as well. I can't believe you actually wrote this, seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

they aren't homeless. they live in the astrodome.

cheers!

jojobinks
09-07-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd care if you had a family member or friend who was affected by it. But, you're just some lame college student who thinks the world revolves around dollar pitchers and skipping class to play poker. Print your post out and read it in five yrs. You might think differently.

So, in summary, you're probably not a bad person, you're just horribly insensitive and selfish.

[/ QUOTE ]

when the school shooting at columbine took place, i was in grad school. 2 days later, grad students there were complaining about this same sort of thing. about how it needed to be let go, about how it was pointless to talk about it in class (this is a masters program in education, btw).

it was a stupid thing for people to say then, and it's a much much more stupid thing to say now, IMO. but it's what selfish, callous, ignorant people say when something in the news takes their minds off of TRL for 10 minutes.

PITTM
09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say millions killed in gas chambers and millions killed by an atomic bomb are much much much worse than 10k people dying from staying in their own houses while a natural disaster was approaching. people need to get it togeteher. making insane comparisons make you look insane, not intelligent.

rj

LetYouDown
09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
They should have named it Kitana instead of Katrina. She was always hotter than Sonya.

http://serwis_fox.webpark.pl/kitana2.gif

PITTM
09-07-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when the school shooting at columbine took place, i was in grad school. 2 days later, grad students there were complaining about this same sort of thing. about how it needed to be let go, about how it was pointless to talk about it in class (this is a masters program in education, btw).

it was a stupid thing for people to say then, and it's a much much more stupid thing to say now, IMO. but it's what selfish, callous, ignorant people say when something in the news takes their minds off of TRL for 10 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is stupid IMO, to say that anyone is selfish and ignorant if they want to hear people talk about something other than whats been talked about for the past week is just wrong. do you know what ignorant even means? he obviously had heard the facts about katrina since he said he was sick of hearing them, how is that ignorance?

im sure the op's only motivation was to "take his mind off the news and get it back on trl". can we just not make retardedly incorrect exaggerations? i mean what were you trying to prove there? that you can make things up well? rad...

rj

phil_ivey_fan
09-07-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have a problem hearing about the Hurricane......BUT i do have a problem with hearing black people complain on the news about how they aren't receiving sufficient aid and how if there were more white ppl affected, more aid would be provided. America is turning into one big race war.

And Kanye West should be fined money for saying what he did about George Bush. John Rocker was fined by baseball for making comments a long the same lines... what's the difference.

Oh and by the way, I just got turned down from a job because they needed more black ppl (regardless of skill and experience)...now who's the racist?

Freakin
09-07-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have a problem hearing about the Hurricane......BUT i do have a problem with hearing black people complain on the news about how they aren't receiving sufficient aid and how if there were more white ppl affected, more aid would be provided. America is turning into one big race war.

And Kanye West should be fined money for saying what he did about George Bush. John Rocker was fined by baseball for making comments a long the same lines... what's the difference.

Oh and by the way, I just got turned down from a job because they needed more black ppl (regardless of skill and experience)...now who's the racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take this to politics.

09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Rocker got fined by the Union he was a member of. Not by the Federal Government. lol.

Kanye can't get fined. But G-Dub can pay someone to put a bullet in his arse, if you know what I mean. Fast-forward a year from now and Kanye might be pushin up the daisies, and I don't mean of old age.

Freedom of speech allows people to say what they want, however, they are not bulletproof from retaliation.

B Dids
09-07-2005, 02:16 PM
This doesn't make you a bad person. The fact that you're a bad person to start with makes you an insenstive prick.

Voltron87
09-07-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And Kanye West should be fined money for saying what he did about George Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Michael Davis
09-07-2005, 02:23 PM
I understand exactly what you are saying. After 9/11 that event got worked into every class. In philosophy we'd talk about 9/11. In art class somebody talked about 9/11 being the greatest work of modern art there is. In English we discussed 9/11 in light of T.S. Eliot and had to write a paper on that topic. In history we listened to the prof. prattle on about how America is at fault for the decline in seahorse populations.

So I understand. It's not that you don't care, it's that you don't understand why every single activity you undertake has to be colored by an admittedly awful event.

-Michael

09-07-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say millions killed in gas chambers and millions killed by an atomic bomb are much much much worse than 10k people dying from staying in their own houses while a natural disaster was approaching. people need to get it togeteher. making insane comparisons make you look insane, not intelligent.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

oh boy, we have a live one here. saying that one tragedy is worse than another is a slippery slope. don't go there. many have tried, all have failed.

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Katrina doesn't care about you either.

2+2 wannabe
09-07-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

good post

MarkSummers
09-07-2005, 02:39 PM
And I used to think I was insensitive.

TheMainEvent
09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And Kanye West should be fined money for saying what he did about George Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

[/ QUOTE ]

MEbenhoe
09-07-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand exactly what you are saying. After 9/11 that event got worked into every class. In philosophy we'd talk about 9/11. In art class somebody talked about 9/11 being the greatest work of modern art there is. In English we discussed 9/11 in light of T.S. Eliot and had to write a paper on that topic. In history we listened to the prof. prattle on about how America is at fault for the decline in seahorse populations.

So I understand. It's not that you don't care, it's that you don't understand why every single activity you undertake has to be colored by an admittedly awful event.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, I'm glad one person understood what i mean.

MEbenhoe
09-07-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

so true. How can you possibly compare events like Hiroshima, the Holocaust and 9/11 to Katrina? Wanna know the huge difference, in the first 3 it was a bunch of innocent people killed by something they couldnt see coming. Katrina gave a huge warning of how strong it was going to be, get the hell out of there seriously.

Some comedian(cant remember who) made a joke sometime about people who live in tornado alley, but then complain when they get hit by a tornado. This is the same type of thing.

09-07-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And I used to think I was insensitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you ever think this? You were a very sensitive host of Double Dare.

TheTROLL
09-07-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he obviously had heard the facts about katrina since he said he was sick of hearing them, how is that ignorance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect he was being accused of being ignorant of etiquette in the whole matter of getting-fed-up-with-disasters-too-soon; reminds me of an article in The Onion a few months after 9/11 entitled "Area Man Wonders If Too Soon To Take Down Flags". I'm getting close to feeling the same way on this one, as there's so little new information emerging.

thatpfunk
09-07-2005, 03:23 PM
You seriously suck at life. Ignoring the fact that innocent people died because they didn't have the means to leave or the fact that warnings like this are a way of life and often exaggerated...

Thousands upon thousands of people have lost everything the own. They now have nothing. No job to go to. No house to go home to. No pictures, videos, no familiarity, nothing.

It is fine if you are tired of hearing people endlessly retread over the same topics or if you need an escape from the constant negativity. It is not ok, however, to not care.

Good thing you were born a spoiled little white suburbanite so you can comfortably be a dumbfuck.

Phoenix1010
09-07-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect.

Phoenix1010
09-07-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

so true. How can you possibly compare events like Hiroshima, the Holocaust and 9/11 to Katrina? Wanna know the huge difference, in the first 3 it was a bunch of innocent people killed by something they couldnt see coming. Katrina gave a huge warning of how strong it was going to be, get the hell out of there seriously.

Some comedian(cant remember who) made a joke sometime about people who live in tornado alley, but then complain when they get hit by a tornado. This is the same type of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this more than justifies the comment about ignorance.

Phoenix1010
09-07-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok to not care until the death toll reaches a million. 10k isn't worth losing sleep over. I see what you mean. If only I had your fine judgement, which would allow me to choose which disasters are worth caring about.

The comparison worked fine. What exactly do we need to get together? Thousands are dying, and someone is outright saying that they don't care, and you're agreeing with him. If I say I don't care about the Holocaust, are you really going to tell me that I'm wrong because more people were killed?

The only thing that I see that people need to "get together" is to finally figure out that not everyone in any area has the means to evacuate their homes on a few days notice. Many people had no choice. You can blame them for being poor if you want to clear your own conscience, but at least realize that's what you're doing.

AngryCola
09-07-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it being the only topic on everyone's mind

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you are sick of hearing about it is somewhat understandable, but the above quote seems odd.

I'm sorry huge national events aren't something you want to bother your precious thoughts with, but to act as if people who are thinking about it are a problem for you is something I don't understand at all.

What else should people mostly be talking and thinking about? Clearly one of the largest natural disasters in this country's history is something which will occupy a lot of people's minds. I fail to see how this is wrong, bothersome, or at all a problem. Not wanting to talk or think about it yourself is one thing, but wanting or expecting most other people not to talk about it is a bit selfish, IMO.

Most likely these professors mentioned Katrina because it is something important enough to discuss and think about.

ddubois
09-07-2005, 04:14 PM
I got turbo-flamed when I said "meh" to a couple of buses/trains being bombed up in England; so if you expected a kinder treatment given this event being two orders of magnitude more disasterous, you are as dumb as you are callous and uncaring.

B Dids
09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, I'm glad one person understood what i mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not your biggest fan, but you have to be smart enough to understand why this impacts people so. Even if you can tire of hearing about it- at this point it's a huge fundamental backdrop for a lot of people's existance. I mean, it's not a great deal of hyperbole to say that a major American city was destroyed. That's something that basically hasn't happened since like what, the civil war? The reason people are acting like it's a big deal is because it's basically a REALLY BIG [censored] DEAL.

I think 9/11 is a bad example, because there was a not of nonsense nationalism and bigotry that you saw as people kept evoking that event. 9/11 was just to justify a lot of idiocy, I don't think Katrina draws the same comparisons at all.

Blarg
09-07-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's because it's intended to be ironic. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was perfectly understandable, and a good comment.

Blarg
09-07-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Take this to politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Not only was this spectacularly self-regarding and obtuse, self-absorption mixed with politics should go in the politics forum, their natural home.

Edge34
09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally someone comes through with some reason.

A bunch of anonymous internet posters have called Matt a bad, even terrible person, without knowing jack shite about him. Now, his title of the thread was meant to draw attention. For those of you above a 3rd grade comprehension level, which is apparently not many people here, you'd see that its more about teaching CLASS MATERIAL in class. What is there to say about Katrina that we haven't heard for the last week and a half? Of course it was terrible, of course I feel bad for those people who are down there and have no power, and less food than they need...but tell me, what does it have to do with math class or whatever the hell Matt had today? We're in school, teach school. Us college students pay a lot more attention to world events than we're given credit for.

In summary, Matt really is a good person. And for all the anonymous douchebags who say otherwise based on this one post, YSSCKY. Have a nice [censored] day.

PITTM
09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok to not care until the death toll reaches a million. 10k isn't worth losing sleep over. I see what you mean. If only I had your fine judgement, which would allow me to choose which disasters are worth caring about.

The comparison worked fine. What exactly do we need to get together? Thousands are dying, and someone is outright saying that they don't care, and you're agreeing with him. If I say I don't care about the Holocaust, are you really going to tell me that I'm wrong because more people were killed?

The only thing that I see that people need to "get together" is to finally figure out that not everyone in any area has the means to evacuate their homes on a few days notice. Many people had no choice. You can blame them for being poor if you want to clear your own conscience, but at least realize that's what you're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

boy, ive never seen such an insane response to one of my posts. not only did you completely misunderstand it. you also managed to add words and feelings that i didnt have to my own statement. nowhere do i say "i dont care about katrina". nowhere do i say "this isnt a bad disaster because only 10k died." but to compare the aftermath of a hurricane with the aftermath of an atomic bomb where people were dying for decades after from radiation poisoning is just absurd. im just saying, a bunch of people around my office giving a fairly uninformed, generic, boring opinion about hurricane katrina is about the most boring thing i could possibly imagine. if youre a grown adult and dont see the difference between "not caring" and "not wanting to talk about something with people who dont know what theyre talking about" i would suggest some improvment in your critical reading skills.

rj

Edge34
09-07-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good thing you were born a spoiled little white suburbanite so you can comfortably be a dumbfuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kill yourself. Seriously. Ooooooooh, you're an anonymous internet hardass, you get a gold star today!!!!

Edge34
09-07-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got turbo-flamed when I said "meh" to a couple of buses/trains being bombed up in England; so if you expected a kinder treatment given this event being two orders of magnitude more disasterous, you are as dumb as you are callous and uncaring.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said "meh" to innocent people dying and you think you've got the [censored] moral high ground to call someone ELSE callous and uncaring? You need to check your priorities in life, jack.

thatpfunk
09-07-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Kill yourself. Seriously. Ooooooooh, you're an anonymous internet hardass, you get a gold star today!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw, how cute, you're defining irony today. Good for you...

MEbenhoe
09-07-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHA, the only part of that sentence that was right is that I'm white. well done

Phoenix1010
09-07-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

boy, ive never seen such an insane response to one of my posts. not only did you completely misunderstand it. you also managed to add words and feelings that i didnt have to my own statement. nowhere do i say "i dont care about katrina". nowhere do i say "this isnt a bad disaster because only 10k died." but to compare the aftermath of a hurricane with the aftermath of an atomic bomb where people were dying for decades after from radiation poisoning is just absurd. im just saying, a bunch of people around my office giving a fairly uninformed, generic, boring opinion about hurricane katrina is about the most boring thing i could possibly imagine. if youre a grown adult and dont see the difference between "not caring" and "not wanting to talk about something with people who dont know what theyre talking about" i would suggest some improvment in your critical reading skills.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see what this thread is about? The post you were responding to was making a simple comparison. The OP says he doesn't care about Katrina (everyone seems to be ignoring that it says this in the damn title, perhaps you need to work on your critical reading skills), and he doesn't want to hear about it. The poster Sammy1 responded by saying "yeah, I feel the same way about other disasters that everyone cares about." You jump all over him. Apparently, your only justification for doing so are a) more people died during the Holocaust and at Hiroshima and perhaps b) the implied assumption that because people knew the hurricane was coming they die by their own fault. Your love of the word "insane" aside, I don't see what you're missing. Mebenhoe clearly stated that he doesn't care, and that's the argument going on. If you randomly jumped in to try defend your own stance on the issue (that you just don't want to talk about it at the water cooler), perhaps you should have said what it was beforehand.

thatpfunk
09-07-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHA, the only part of that sentence that was right is that I'm white. well done

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I am glad that your poor upbringing in the tough ghettos of Wisconsin has taught you to be caring and compassionate for others as unfortunate as yourself.

Oh, wait...

MEbenhoe
09-07-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I am glad that your poor upbringing in the tough ghettos of Wisconsin has taught you to be caring and compassionate for others as unfortunate as yourself.

Oh, wait...

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Milwaukee, in a relatively low income household, and have been paying my own way through college, so your attempt at irony is lost.

As far as attempting to say I'm not caring or compassionate, I do charity work, and would donate to something involved with Katrina if I had any say at all in what the money would be used for, but given the lack of that there are things I'd rather spend my time/money with.

The problem is that the majority of you are in this single minded mentality based off of what you are told to think, or what is the PC thing to say/think. And you've been so brainwashed by it that anytime someone says something that goes against it you freak out, oh well.

bobman0330
09-07-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

good post

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be a good post if he knew how many people were killed by the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

thatpfunk
09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I gave you a very fair chance to backtrack or expand upon your thoughts here:
[ QUOTE ]

It is fine if you are tired of hearing people endlessly retread over the same topics or if you need an escape from the constant negativity. It is not ok, however, to not care.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, you did not.

The title of your post is I dont care about Katrina.

The majority of the people that have responded to your post have attempted to explain, thoroughly, why your thinking is flawed/ignorant yet you are too thickheaded to think outside of your little world and reply with:[ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the majority of you are in this single minded mentality based off of what you are told to think, or what is the PC thing to say/think. And you've been so brainwashed by it that anytime someone says something that goes against it you freak out, oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you have explained yourself poorly, one can only hope. As it stands, I make the statement you are neither comparing nor compassionate because you wrote: [ QUOTE ]
I dont care about Katrina

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, just for kicks: [ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Milwaukee, in a relatively low income household, and have been paying my own way through college, so your attempt at irony is lost.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you did grow up in the "ghetto," yet you are not compassionate to the plight of others in similarly bad situations. Therefore the attempt at irony is just fine. Dictionary.com is available if you need help.

09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and by the way, I just got turned down from a job because they needed more black ppl (regardless of skill and experience)

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Retain an attorney.

09-07-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does this make me a bad person, or are others sick of it too?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Bad person" is the correct answer.

PITTM
09-07-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

good post

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be a good post if he knew how many people were killed by the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, ill give exact death totals next time. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

rj

Edge34
09-07-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw, how cute, you're defining irony today. Good for you...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to ask a question here. Did you read my earlier, longer post in this thread? No? Well, you missed the part where I said, its not that Matt doesn't give a [censored] about the people affected, or that he doesn't give a [censored] that it happened, its that he's tired of hearing about it in places where it really doesn't need to be discussed. Seriously, people go to school to learn, and his post, excluding the title, basically said that there's a time and a place, and classroom learning time, well, that really isn't it. Its not like we haven't heard it for a week and a half. We can't just stop everything about our lives because this happened.

You're just too much of an insecure douchebag to admit that you're missing the point entirely, so I've spelled it out for you. Of course, being the king of uninformed judgments as you have shown yourself to be, I fully expect to have more mindless flaming come from your end.

And, if that's the case, I'll once again give you my honest recommendation that you look into taking a long jump off a high, high place.

AngryCola
09-07-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, yes! When someone disagrees with you, the best thing to do is assume they are brainwashed.

Hmmm...
Could it be that they just think you're a bit off based on their own thoughts?

Actually, how silly of me to even suggest such a thing. Because if that is actually the case, it would mean their opinions are more valid than if they were brainwashed, so of course it must not be true.

Also...
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I live in tornado alley, I'll talk a bit about that.

Where should all the people in the tornado heavy areas go? Shall we just abandon a good chunk of the midwest because of weather issues? You probably wouldn't suggest such a thing, but you apparently would tell all the people in my area not to bitch about their home being destroyed because they knew it might happen. What kind of detached and unrealistic view is that?

Living anywhere and doing much of anything comes with certain risks, but that does not mean we should all act as if it's somehow all on them for doing whatever or living wherever in the first place.

If a realative of yours was killed in a car accident, would you tell the rest of your family that it was their own fault for driving the car in the first place? After all, the relative did know the risks.

You may argue that some1 of the people in NO could have left earlier, and you would be completely right. However, there are many families that had lived there for generations and seen a big hurricane or two before. Maybe some of them were complacent because of this, but it's hardly fair to act as if there actions were irrational or even difficult to understand in many cases. Still, you wouldn't blame them for living in the area to begin with. That wouldn't make much sense, as many of these families have lived there for a very long time. It's not as if these people all got on a plane ten years ago and said, "We're going to New Orleans!"

You can't fault them for living there any more than you can look down on somebody for complaining about their house being destroyed by a tornado in the midwest. I've lived here my whole life, and i have never seen a tornado. Oh, they destory this and that during the peak season, but I've never even caught a glimpse of one. I'm sure that I could have if I went out and chased them, but the point is that it's not like tornadoes are destroying your neighbor's property on a weekly basis.

None of my family has ever had any of their property damaged by an actual tornado, so you can understand why we might be a bit irritated if it ever happened.

zephed
09-07-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, we're not brainwashed. You couldn't pass up the opportunity to use a horrible high-school/college cliche though.

Sounds like you're just as brainwashed as everyone else.

09-07-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're just too much of an insecure douchebag to admit that you're missing the point entirely, so I've spelled it out for you. Of course, being the king of uninformed judgments as you have shown yourself to be, I fully expect to have more mindless flaming come from your end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to see you taking advantage of MMMMMMM's resignation to revert back to your old ways.

bishopstrt
09-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Wow what happened to some semblance of decorum? We're without Mmmmmmm here people, try some self restraint.

I believe your buddy MEbenhoe asked

[ QUOTE ]
Does this make me a bad person....

[/ QUOTE ]

so he kind of opened himself up to public flaming right?

Seriously you need to calm down a little or go smoke something or maybe just stop posting until you grow up a few years. Every time you get REALLY EXCITED you call people DOUCHEBAGS or tell them to kill themselves. Any valid points you might have had are kind of negated by this and really do you expect anyone to take you seriously after that?

SheetWise
09-07-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure who I'm responding to, but I know it's not all of you. Grow up. This is a human tragedy. When you hear that this is the greatest natural disaster to hit this country -- that isn't spin. The subject line alone makes me wonder why the poster was given any response. There are several posts currently on this forum that survive only because of their stupidity --- quit taking the bait (as I just have).

thatpfunk
09-08-2005, 12:02 AM
Oh, right, so he isn't a big enough man to write that himself and I am supposed to believe you? Whatever you say.

And once again, please notice the people ripping you two douchebags in this thread. Now click on my name, look at my posts. Yep, a whole lot of flame wars there, huh?

MEbenhoe
09-08-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, right, so he isn't a big enough man to write that himself and I am supposed to believe you? Whatever you say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know edge, and think he's a fine guy in person, but do not group me with his flaming in this post. I had nothing to do with it.

[ QUOTE ]
And once again, please notice the people ripping you two douchebags in this thread. Now click on my name, look at my posts. Yep, a whole lot of flame wars there, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you actually just use the my friends are cooler than your friends argument to say you're right? Actually the people who seem to be so worked up over this and flipping out on me are those known for flame wars, and long winded, worked up, self-righteous posts that few if any ever care to read. Sure you can disagree with me, but you guys who are flipping out on this issue(whether on my side or not) are hilarious.

thatpfunk
09-08-2005, 01:50 AM
Now click on my name, look at my posts
[ QUOTE ]

Did you actually just use the my friends are cooler than your friends argument to say you're right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I was implying that the responses to your post have been rational and logical. The people haven't been flaming you just for the fun of it. Also, I don't know anyone in this thread. Believe it or not, I am probably most familiar with you.

Edge34
09-08-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to see you taking advantage of MMMMMMM's resignation to revert back to your old ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

A) I didn't know MMMMMM resigned.

B) This thread started in OOT, I have no idea why it got moved here.

C) The guy is a douchebag.

Edge34
09-08-2005, 01:55 AM
Matt is correct. He has nothing to do with the opinions I've formed of people who refused to take his comments in the correct context. However, on the off chance that I am the one who has interpreted his comments incorrectly, I shall rescind any and all negative connotations.

I don't think its me starting the flaming when people start saying someone they don't know is a terrible person based off of one horribly misunderstood post. I will stick up for people I consider to be my friends regardless of what people think of how I do it.

I don't tend to get into flame wars often, this will be my last post in the thread.

AngryCola
09-08-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure you can disagree with me, but you guys who are flipping out on this issue(whether on my side or not) are hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, are you putting my posts in with this? I only ask because I was far from flipping out in my responses to you. My last post may have been a bit long, but it isn't as if it doesn't address a few things in a fairly logical manner.

I only ask because I want see if you are just attempting to discredit (a popular practice around here) everything people say based simply on how much they disagree with you. It's very easy to dismiss everything people say when you label posts in such a manner. I hope this isn't what you're doing, because it would be almost sad to see you resort to such a practice.