PDA

View Full Version : The French media has barked up the wrong tree

Frills
09-07-2005, 12:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2154059

[ QUOTE ]
Armstrong, who announced his engagement Monday to rock singer Sheryl Crow, issued a statement Tuesday confirming that he's considering a comeback in part to rankle French media.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic, why spend 1.5 mil in court, when you can make a return and dominate their sport for the 8th consecutive time

kenberman
09-07-2005, 12:42 PM
him coming back, and winning, would rule

(and I'm normally anti-comeback)

mikech
09-07-2005, 01:20 PM
why is it that most americans believe that lance armstrong has never used steroids, while at the same time most americans believe that barry bonds has?

i'm much more inclined to think that a guy who had to recover from a life-theatening illness needed performance-enhancing drugs.

bonds is just a great hitter, it makes more sense that armstrong would have doped.

tolbiny
09-07-2005, 01:24 PM
because a lot of people close to bonds have been associated with steroids - and he has admitted that he "may have taken them unknowingly"

Oh yeah, and bonds tripled in size.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-07-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

why is it that most americans believe that lance armstrong has never used steroids, while at the same time most americans believe that barry bonds has?

i'm much more inclined to think that a guy who had to recover from a life-theatening illness needed performance-enhancing drugs.

bonds is just a great hitter, it makes more sense that armstrong would have doped.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe because Lance Armstrong is the most tested athlete in the world and has passed every single time, while Barry Bonds has been shown to have connections to Balco and has admitted to (unintentionally) using steroids. Or maybe it's because Bonds put on 2979476460979 pounds of muscle and head-mass.

mikech
09-07-2005, 01:32 PM
bonds may very well have used steroids, i certainly don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. my point is that armstrong is just as likely, perhaps more so, to have done it as well. i believe a former friend/employee/training partner of his has accused him of juicing, and now there's the positive epo test. this "evidence" is at least as damning as whatever "associations" bonds has had to steroids. so why do ppl want to think of bonds as a bad guy and armstrong as some sort of saint?

jdl22
09-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Probably because cyclists don't take steroids. Steroids would make them bigger and they certainly don't want that.

Victor
09-07-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

armstrong has admitted to taking illegal substances (by cycling standards) when overcoming cancer. he said they saved his life.

however, he has always contended that when training and competing he has been clean. this may or may not be true. it is certainly possible and probable that someone can recover from cancer at a young age and return to peak form with the work ethic and training that lance has displayed. many have surmised that cancer actually helped lance as he went from being burly (by cycling standards) with broad shoulders and well developed upper body to rail thin. he was, essentially able to start over and develop the perfect body for a cyclist: scrawny in the upper body with large powerful legs.

im just trying to say that its not as far out as you contend that lance came back naturally. also, remember, lance was one of the most gifted and strongest riders before the cancer.

Victor
09-07-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so why do ppl want to think of bonds as a bad guy and armstrong as some sort of saint?

[/ QUOTE ]

is it really that hard for you to differentiate these 2 guys?

ill make it simple. bonds has always been percieved a dick bc he acts like one.

armstrong come back from death and donates immeasurable resources to saving lifes and inspiring otherrs.

JayLear
09-07-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is compelling evidence that they both have, which is what I happen to believe. Due to the Balco case, the Bonds/Giambi evidence is just more widely reported in the States.

Voltron87
09-07-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is compelling evidence that they both have, which is what I happen to believe. Due to the Balco case, the Bonds/Giambi evidence is just more widely reported in the States.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the compelling evidence that armstrong used steroids?

mikech
09-07-2005, 01:44 PM
again, my point is that many ppl go out of their way to try to defend armstrong, they WANT to believe his performance is untainted. this is not the case with bonds. the existence of this double-standard is indisputable, the question is why.

mikech
09-07-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so why do ppl want to think of bonds as a bad guy and armstrong as some sort of saint?

[/ QUOTE ]

armstrong come back from death and donates immeasurable resources to saving lifes and inspiring otherrs.

[/ QUOTE ]
i realize that ppl basically make excuses for armstrong cuz he's a feel-good story, i just think that's silly.

Voltron87
09-07-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

again, my point is that many ppl go out of their way to try to defend armstrong, they WANT to believe his performance is untainted. this is not the case with bonds. the existence of this double-standard is indisputable, the question is why.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. armstrongs an awesome guy, with a great story. bonds is a douchebag and an [censored]

2. the french media are little bitches to armstrong, which americans hate.

3. there is little evidence against armstrong, except the desperate accusations from all the jealous people trying to bring him down. americans dont take kindly what the french media has tried to do to him.

Victor
09-07-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
e existence of this double-standard is indisputable, the question is why.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just answered why.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

people tend to root for the percieved good guys. imo, i dont care if armstrong doped or not. nearly all cyclists do or have. armstrong is an inspiration and does incredible work funding research for cancer that will save lifes.

Frills
09-07-2005, 01:56 PM
keep in mind the epo tests came from the french media, were 7 years old, 6 others tested positive, yet the french didn't release their names.

Basically everyone that has attacked Lance has done so out of vengance, there has yet to be 1 legitimate test that has said he cheated...

mikech
09-07-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. armstrongs an awesome guy, with a great story. bonds is a douchebag and an [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]
how do you know armstrong's an awesome guy and bonds is a douchebag and ahole? do you know them personally? i do know that armstrong ditched his wife, who had stuck with him thru cancer and whom he dedicated his autobiography to, in order to go out with a rock star: is that what makes him awesome?

Voltron87
09-07-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
how do you know armstrong's an awesome guy and bonds is a douchebag and ahole? do you know them personally? i do know that armstrong ditched his wife, who had stuck with him thru cancer and whom he dedicated his autobiography to, in order to go out with a rock star: is that what makes him awesome?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, im done responding. youre an idiot.

kenberman
09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

bonds may very well have used steroids, i certainly don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. my point is that armstrong is just as likely, perhaps more so, to have done it as well. i believe a former friend/employee/training partner of his has accused him of juicing, and now there's the positive epo test. this "evidence" is at least as damning as whatever "associations" bonds has had to steroids. so why do ppl want to think of bonds as a bad guy and armstrong as some sort of saint?

[/ QUOTE ]

you do know that there is no proof that the EPO test was his, correct?

wh1t3bread
09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i do know that armstrong ditched his wife, who had stuck with him thru cancer and whom he dedicated his autobiography to, in order to go out with a rock star: is that what makes him awesome?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read his first autobiography? If you did then you would know that Armstrong's ex-wife he married after his cancer episode. He was dating another person when he had (and recovered) from cancer.

JayLear
09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is the compelling evidence that armstrong used steroids?

[/ QUOTE ]

*positive test, ruled out by a medical exemption after the fact. According to allegations brought on by his personal masseuse doctors backdated a prescription for a legal cream containing the steroid, and organizers allowed it, even though the cream wasn't listed on Armstrong's mandatory medical form. The same person also alleges Armstrong asked her for makeup to cover bruises in his arms left by injections; Armstrong asked her to dispose of syringes, and that she personally delivered pills from the USPS team director to Armstrongs home in Nice in 1999.

*Connection to Italian "doping doctor" Michele Ferrari, a "friend and advisor" he had worked with since 1996.

*Abuse and threats of an Italian rider who is the key witness in the Ferrari case.

*Allegations brought on by Armstrong's former assistant, Mike Anderson.

*Former US TDF champion Greg Lemond had also gone on record with his doubts about Armstrong on occasion.

HBO Real Sports did a great segment on this topic a couple years ago.

JayLear
09-07-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The reports that his wife stuck with him through cancer are misleading -- they met while he was in remission. But yes, he did leave her and their kids for a rock star. Does that make him a bad guy? Who knows? If you listen to the whispers around him (threats against people testifying against his dope doctor buddy, private threats to Greg Lemond after coming out and publicly questioning him), it starts to raise questions.

Jules22
09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
GOD. I REALLY WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO NOT SEEING GAY CYCLING ON SPORTSCENTER EVERYDAY. THANKS FRANCE AND LANCE, YOU HAVE MADE ME HATE CYCLING THAT MUCH MORE, AND I DIDNT THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE

FU-CK CYCLING.

mmbt0ne
09-07-2005, 05:45 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Becuase Bonds is black. Is that what you wanted to hear?