PDA

View Full Version : remote desktop

unlucky513
09-07-2005, 11:32 AM
i'm at work and i want to remote connect to my PC at home. i have XP pro at home and i'm running win 2k here at work.

is it possible to connect to my computer at home? can anyone help me out with this?

MercTec
09-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Yeah it can be done. You need to download the remote desktop client from Microsoft to use it on Win2k though. You may have an issue with your IT dept blocking ports or whatnot...best to check with them. You also need to make sure that the remote desktop port is open on yor home PC/firewall.

TheTROLL
09-07-2005, 12:52 PM
This is invariably against the rules, but can usually be done if that doesn't apply/doesn't concern you. Even if the office firewall ports are shut, you can set up some remote control software (such as VNC (http://www.realvnc.com/download.html)) to use a port you know is open, such as 80 or 443.

09-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Use logmein.com. It runs as a service on your home PC and you can connect to it via HTTPS. I have it on about 8 machines and it is very fast and secure. You dont have to open firewall ports like with RDP. One problem you will see is that if you play at a Party Skin you wont be able to chat because the ENTER key doesnt work.