PDA

View Full Version : When to let a good hand go...

09-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Can I get some thoughts on laying decent hands down. I've really been working on a lot of aspects of my game, including anticipating a range of hands and making those reads. I can and will lay down a hand like KK after showing strength PF and a dangerous board hits. I bring this up because of a hand I just played...

$50 STT at PokerRoom - 9 players and I'm UTG+2 with t1800 and blinds are at t15/t30.

Hero t1755
Villian t1750
SB t1300

HERO is dealt J /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif

2 folds, Hero raises t120 , 2 folds, <font color="red"> Villian raises t325, </font> SB calls t310, 1 fold, Hero calls t205

Pot is t975
Flop 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, Hero checks, Villian lets a little time roll off before he bets t150 , SB folds, Hero reraises t400, Villian reraises All-in, Hero ...

I didn't have much info on villian except that I saw him raise in first level UTG with AJo, get a couple callers, flop an A and he led each round to finally win the pot.

I have t980 left. I was actually resigned to being beat by KK or AA, but I also thought he could have AK with that smallish flop t150 bet then the huge All-in reraise. Because of his early play I put a little more confidence in the AK.

I wanted to fold so badly, but didn't even though my gut said get out.

I want to know how you experienced players deal with this situation. What did you think of the check raise on the flop? Should I have just led out with a half or 2/3 pot size bet? If I do that, and he raises, I think I'm in the same spot.

result in white:
<font color="white"> I call and he shows KK and wins. </font>

gl,
Mike.

durron597
09-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Bet the flop. Fold to a push.

downtown
09-07-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop. Fold to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line, especially with his weirdish/smallish reraise PF. I think the typical opponent will raise your bet with QQ+ here and lay down AK, and if it's the former, you can fold with ease.

09-07-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I get some thoughts on laying decent hands down. I've really been working on a lot of aspects of my game, including anticipating a range of hands and making those reads. I can and will lay down a hand like KK after showing strength PF and a dangerous board hits. I bring this up because of a hand I just played...

$50 STT at PokerRoom - 9 players and I'm UTG+2 with t1800 and blinds are at t15/t30.

Hero t1755
Villian t1750
SB t1300

HERO is dealt J /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif

2 folds, Hero raises t120 , 2 folds, <font color="red"> Villian raises t325, </font> SB calls t310, 1 fold, Hero calls t205

Pot is t975
Flop 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, Hero checks, Villian lets a little time roll off before he bets t150 , SB folds, Hero reraises t400, Villian reraises All-in, Hero ...

I didn't have much info on villian except that I saw him raise in first level UTG with AJo, get a couple callers, flop an A and he led each round to finally win the pot.

I have t980 left. I was actually resigned to being beat by KK or AA, but I also thought he could have AK with that smallish flop t150 bet then the huge All-in reraise. Because of his early play I put a little more confidence in the AK.

I wanted to fold so badly, but didn't even though my gut said get out.

I want to know how you experienced players deal with this situation. What did you think of the check raise on the flop? Should I have just led out with a half or 2/3 pot size bet? If I do that, and he raises, I think I'm in the same spot.

result in white:
<font color="white"> I call and he shows KK and wins. </font>

gl,
Mike.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold this preflop. The reraise is enough to scare me at this level, b/c it's kinda backwards at these levels. If he doesn't want you to call he moves all in with hands like AK or AQ or mid pairs. When they reraise just a bit like that, it's usually AA or KK. Sometimes if i have enough chips, i'll make the call knowing i'm behind and if i don't hit my set on the flop i'll let it go. Sometimes players will even give a free card on the flop in hopes of trapping you. But in this case he did bet. I think being that your in the pot and all unders hit, you either fold or flat call it. He's obviously got something he likes. Your reraise showed strength and he knew he could move on you. A flat call may have had him try and trap and give you a free card on the turn. and you can still try and improve. Those are just my thoughts and my style of play though.