PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 shameful Video Games

Freakin
09-07-2005, 10:49 AM
http://archive.gamespy.com/top10/december02/shame/

[ QUOTE ]
Demand dropped so precipitously that millions of unsold E.T. carts had to be dumped in a landfill.

[/ QUOTE ]

and thats not even number one.

HopeydaFish
09-07-2005, 01:55 PM
I am ashamed to say that I owned three of those games for my Atari 2600 (Donkey Kong, PacMan, ET). ET was by far the worst of the bunch. Another really bad one that wasn't mentioned was "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the Atari 2600.

The number 1 worst game is just bizarre...a rape fantasy game for the Atari 2600...LOL.

Freakin
09-07-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am ashamed to say that I owned three of those games for my Atari 2600 (Donkey Kong, PacMan, ET). ET was by far the worst of the bunch. Another really bad one that wasn't mentioned was "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the Atari 2600.

The number 1 worst game is just bizarre...a rape fantasy game for the Atari 2600...LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

A racist rape fantasy....

What were they thinking?

Freakin

stabn
09-07-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What were they thinking?

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas is a big state?

Who knows. I'm surprised ET only made #7.

Freakin
09-07-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What were they thinking?

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas is a big state?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna have to find an emulator to try it out. I had an underprivelaged enough childhood that my first console was a NES (and it wasn't a toploader)

TheMainEvent
09-07-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What were they thinking?

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, the girl clearly give a big pixelated smile when you're about to give it to her. This was probably inserted purely to ease the rape concerns.

stabn
09-07-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What were they thinking?

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas is a big state?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna have to find an emulator to try it out. I had an underprivelaged enough childhood that my first console was a NES (and it wasn't a toploader)

[/ QUOTE ]

My NES was a frontloader but i had a 2600 as well. I only got it about a year or two before the NES came out though.

pokerdirty
09-07-2005, 05:30 PM
and to think, this list is only 31 months old...

Phoenix1010
09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
E.T. at number 7 is robbery but the list is pretty funny. I think it's basically stolen from an EGM article. I still remember someone mentioning E.T. in one of the best games threads a while ago, I think it was Kersens.

09-07-2005, 05:54 PM
I was probably a retard when I was a kid because I remember playing ET for the Atari 2600 all afternoon trying to figure out how to escape that pit.

jokerthief
09-07-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was probably a retard when I was a kid because I remember playing ET for the Atari 2600 all afternoon trying to figure out how to escape that pit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

09-07-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my defense I was 9, but yeah.

Michael Davis
09-07-2005, 06:03 PM
"I was probably a retard when I was a kid because I remember playing ET for the Atari 2600 all afternoon trying to figure out how to escape that pit."

I don't think I ever figured it out. I couldn't figure out what was going on in that game, I don't even think I understood I was in a pit. That game lasted for about an hour, never to be played again.

Also, that the #1 game actually exists is just awesome.

-Michael

jokerthief
09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!

PITTM
09-07-2005, 06:06 PM
"the adventures of mike rock" for pc gets my nomination. the sound in that game was way way beyond anything ive ever heard. i started playing it on my friends computer while he was in the bathroom and he yelled, "what are you doing to my computer" when the sound started. since then we have decided that the dialogue goes something like this, "nifiuweh worwbgfuieh mike jefw3i4bfuh fdiowejfu!"

rj

09-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Pac-Man's on that list? wtf?

ok yeah it was a bit robotic like they said, but this was Atari, not Playstation 2

HopeydaFish
09-07-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

ok yeah it was a bit robotic like they said, but this was Atari, not Playstation 2

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the author of the article felt that it should have been much better, even taking into account the limitations of the technology.

Dynasty
09-07-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the author of the article felt that it should have been much better, even taking into account the limitations of the technology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even when it came out, Pac Man was a joke. When I first saw how bad it was compared to the arcade game, it was instatnly ruined for me.

ddubois
09-07-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I could not care less about the graphics, the game was fun and I played it a ton, maybe more than any other 2600 game.

2+2 wannabe
09-07-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, I wasn't the only one!

plus I didn't have the instructions and didn't know what the hell the point was of the game

it's bugged me up to this day

HopeydaFish
09-07-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, I wasn't the only one!

plus I didn't have the instructions and didn't know what the hell the point was of the game

it's bugged me up to this day

[/ QUOTE ]

What *was* the point of that game, anyway? I remember walking around aimlessly, making the flower grow my extending my neck, and then falling down the pit and starting over.

Colonel Kataffy
09-07-2005, 06:57 PM
It isn't anywhere near being as bad as the games in the list, but I've never been more dissappointed by a game than I was by Warcraft 3. Shameful indeed.

mmbt0ne
09-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm fairly surprised Quarterback Club for DC wasn't on the list.

DeezNuts
09-07-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Living in the suburbs and being relatively poor, I got the 2600 and some games as a present from a rich grandparent and never stopped playing.

I think I remember beating E.T.(phoning home and getting picked up) but then you just start over. It was a pain and took forever, but I was probably 8 and had nothing better to do. I also remember playing Raiders of the Lost Ark and beating that. I never fully understood that game, but I remember getting all the pieces of the ark and beating it. I never played the Pacman arcade version, so the 2600 version was a godsend. I thought all these games were just awesome when I was a kid.

DN

AngryCola
09-07-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never been more dissappointed by a game than I was by WarCraft 3. Shameful indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't exactly call it shameful. It was a good game, and I'll give it that much. But it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

WarCraft 2 and StarCraft are both great games. WarCraft 3 certainly isn't as good as either of them.

jedi
09-07-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What were they thinking?

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I saw the list, I thought this might have been over sensitive PC crap. Now I read the list and find that it's probably worse than described. Ugh. That game's terrible.

kyro
09-07-2005, 09:19 PM
How they missed Mike Piazza's baseball game for N64 is appalling.

HopeydaFish
09-07-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Living in the suburbs and being relatively poor, I got the 2600 and some games as a present from a rich grandparent and never stopped playing.

I think I remember beating E.T.(phoning home and getting picked up) but then you just start over. It was a pain and took forever, but I was probably 8 and had nothing better to do. I also remember playing Raiders of the Lost Ark and beating that. I never fully understood that game, but I remember getting all the pieces of the ark and beating it. I never played the Pacman arcade version, so the 2600 version was a godsend. I thought all these games were just awesome when I was a kid.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

I can relate to what you're saying. I was about 9 or 10 years old when I was playing these games, and played them for hours on end. Kids these days would turn their noses up at these games, but I thought they were great.

It was only a few years later when the NES came out that I realized how crappy the Atari games were. It's all relative.

2+2 wannabe
09-07-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly surprised Quarterback Club for DC wasn't on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't quarterback club the game with the skills competition?