PDA

View Full Version : "O.J. is innocent,...."

JTrout
09-07-2005, 10:23 AM
"...because I met him 15 years ago, and shook his hand. He seemed like a really nice guy."

"Jack Nicklaus is an arsehole, because when my kid tried to get his autograph on the 18th tee at Augusta on Sunday, he said, "after the round, kid."

What makes people think like this? I've seen a variation of this hundreds of times.
And you can see in their eyes that they believe it.

And then, on a separate note, some people have the rebellous syndrome attitude.

example-
I can't stand (fill in the star). He's always posing for the cameras- signing autographs, donating to charities, saying the right things all the time. What a phony.

Instead, I like so-and-so. Did you see him tell his coach to "fxck off", or flip off those fans wanting his picture? And did you read about him beating his wife? She's probably a bxtch.

People are weird.

dtbog
09-07-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that this statement is exactly the same as the ones you're railing on, right?

SheetWise
09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that this statement is exactly the same as the ones you're railing on, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think there's a big difference between concluding someone is sincere in their belief, and what a person has concluded is true.

JTrout
09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I didn't realize it. I'm interested in hearing more.

And re-reading my post, I see that it very much appears as a rant.
I didn't mean it to be.
I'm genuinely curious as to why many people are this way.

And to tie it into poker, so as to not be completely off topic with this forum-
maybe a better understanding of people and why they do what they do will improve my poker skills. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rasputin
09-07-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I didn't realize it. I'm interested in hearing more.

And re-reading my post, I see that it very much appears as a rant.
I didn't mean it to be.
I'm genuinely curious as to why many people are this way.

And to tie it into poker, so as to not be completely off topic with this forum-
maybe a better understanding of people and why they do what they do will improve my poker skills. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

People value information they gain from their own experiences over that which they gain from someone else's experiences, sometimes to absurd degrees.

If you or I met OJ and he was a pleasant person, we could conclude that he is a pleasant person. If we then watched the trial, we would conclude that he is a pleasant person who murdered two people. Some folks give so much weight to their own impressions that the outweighs everything else that anyone else says to them.

Throw in a little selective memory and these are the guys who always play 72o because they once flopped a boat and got called down to the river four ways.

pokerrookie
09-07-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"...because I met him 15 years ago, and shook his hand. He seemed like a really nice guy."

"Jack Nicklaus is an arsehole, because when my kid tried to get his autograph on the 18th tee at Augusta on Sunday, he said, "after the round, kid."

What makes people think like this? I've seen a variation of this hundreds of times.

And then, on a separate note, some people have the rebellous syndrome attitude.

example-
I can't stand (fill in the star). He's always posing for the cameras- signing autographs, donating to charities, saying the right things all the time. What a phony.

Instead, I like so-and-so. Did you see him tell his coach to "fxck off", or flip off those fans wanting his picture? And did you read about him beating his wife? She's probably a bxtch.

People are weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate Peyton Manning.

SNOWBALL138
09-07-2005, 07:22 PM
My favorite are the people who think that as long as someone is honest about their flaws, that their flaws are negated. Two words: Eileen Wharnos.

JTrout
09-08-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate Peyton Manning.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I don't doubt it a bit!