PDA

View Full Version : Why zombie movies are scary

Marlow
09-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I don't scare easily, but zombie movies really terrify me. I have always had a vague sense of omnidirectional dread when viewing a zombie flick. But I never knew why they got to me so much more than other horror films.

Then a few months ago I watched "Hotel Rwanda" (HR) and it all clicked into place. Of course, HR has nothing to do with zombies, but I had the exact same feelings of dread during the film. I then realized that I was reacting to the total chaos and unstoppably vicious violent forces in the movie. In the final analysis, I am scared of the complete breakdown of society.

I dunno... I guess I was reminded of this all over again when things were at their worst in NOLA last week.

Anyone else feel this way?

Marlow

sexdrugsmoney
09-07-2005, 09:43 AM
The scariest things on this earth are your fellow humans.

swede123
09-07-2005, 09:44 AM
On one hand I feel exactly like you describe about this kind of stuff. Yet, a part of me kind of wants to go out and kick looter/zombie ass in the worst way. I'm not saying I'm looking forward to a breakdown in society but some primitive part of me wants to know what it'd be like.

Swede

Marlow
09-07-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On one hand I feel exactly like you describe about this kind of stuff. Yet, a part of me kind of wants to go out and kick looter/zombie ass in the worst way. I'm not saying I'm looking forward to a breakdown in society but some primitive part of me wants to know what it'd be like.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Good insight. I think this also explains my fascination with these movies.

Marlow

Shajen
09-07-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree. There's a small part of me that would welcome the chaos. As long as I had unlimited ammo and a few of my boys to watch my back.

GET SOME, GET SOME.

diebitter
09-07-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd be 100% with you pre-kids.

With kids to be responsible for, no definitely not.

stigmata
09-07-2005, 09:58 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Why do we (men) have this desire to be in a zombie film?

Marlow
09-07-2005, 10:00 AM
I’ve got a kid, too, and I know what you’re saying. Suddenly you want everything in the world to be padded and have no corners. But if you could guarantee that the kiddo was safe it would still be cool to kick zombie ass, though.

Marlow

diebitter
09-07-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I’ve got a kid, too, and I know what you’re saying. Suddenly you want everything in the world to be padded and have no corners. But if you could guarantee that the kiddo was safe it would still be cool to kick zombie ass, though.

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah.

And if the kids were threatened in any way, no amount of zombies are gonna be scary enough to make you run are they?

Marlow
09-07-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah.

And if the kids were threatened in any way, no amount of zombies are gonna be scary enough to make you run are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I had kids, I was amazed that parents would wrestle with crocodiles to save their kids. I thought it was brave. No, no, no... it's base instinct.

diebitter
09-07-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Before I had kids, I was amazed that parents would wrestle with crocodiles to save their kids. I thought it was brave. No, no,no... it's base instinct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I remember going to some motivation seminar or similar once, and a question was:

for 1 million notes, would you walk out on a wet plank stretched across the twin towers on a windy stormy night.

Answer (no hesitation): Nope

If someone was holding your kid over the side of the other building, would you run out onto the same plank?

Answer (no hesitation): Of course!

Base instinct beats all other considerations to mush.

TheBlueMonster
09-07-2005, 11:27 AM
good analysis. I thinkmuch of people's fear of zombie movies stems from the fear of having yourself consumed. That's why people are afraid of sharks and dinosaurs (Jaws and Jurassic Park)

Dominic
09-07-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyone else feel this way?

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

no, but clowns freak me out.

James Boston
09-07-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think much of people's fear of zombie movies stems from the fear of having yourself consumed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the whole zombies overtaking the human race aspect. A movie with a lone zombie would be terribly boring. But yes, being eaten alive would also suck.