PDA

View Full Version : 2 stupid question: raising from the blinds/folding nuts

emil3000
09-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Newb questions. Forgive me. Assume 100BB stacks.

1. Got some solid recommendations for raising from the blinds? I went ahead and did it with 6789ds just now, is that a good idea? I figured at least it's not aces, but I do hate bloating a pot out of position.

2. Limped with KK52ss. Flopped a34 twotone, with a backdoor flushdraw. checked. came back with a bet and a call from unknowns... this should be a fold right?

joewatch
09-07-2005, 10:19 AM
6789ds is a good one to raise from anywhere if you are playing an aggressive style. But I would suggest you never raise from the blinds if you are just starting out.

For your 2nd question, it depends on the bet size. For a small bet, I might take a card off hoping for a K or flush draw on the turn. But any 4,6, or 7 you will probably have to give it up. The caller likely has AA.

TheRempel
09-07-2005, 11:18 AM
It's certainly not an immediate fold. If you know nothing about the other players, yeah, you can play safe and fold. There are going to be a lot of sketchy turn cards. You are very likely ahead here, especially if both players are fairly tight preflop. You can raise here and find out where you're at while the pot is still relatively small, or you can wait for a brick/redraw card on the turn, but you will likely be pot commited at that point unless both of your opponents check the turn. You could very easily be up against two pair and a flush draw. Joe assumes nobody ever bets two pair on a flop like that in EP because he never does.

Spellmen
09-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Did you limp the KK25 in EP? If so, I prefer to bet out to see where I am. If it is raised and flatcalled, or flatcalled and raised behind me, then I have a much easier laydown. As TheRempel mentioned your opponents could be betting a variety of things here but you really can't be sure

TheRempel
09-07-2005, 01:02 PM
I like pot building raises in the blinds with well coordinated hands.

beset7
09-07-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...and I like being on the button with people in the blinds who like to build pots out of position.

TheRempel
09-07-2005, 01:19 PM
YOU STFU

Seriously, I'm not talking about pot raises, I'm talking about a min-or 2BB raise in an unraised pot. Just enough that you can check-raise fairly big if you flop well and have great odds if you only flop in one direction. Not a move I would make at anything higher than $0.50/$1.00.

Acesover8s
09-07-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

...and I like being on the button with people in the blinds who like to build pots out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

and I like leading into opponents who want to outplay me in position since they've put me on AAxx since I raised out of the blinds. . .

Relative position can be much more important that static position, and there is no better way to get that whole stack in than bet / 3-bet.

TheRempel
09-07-2005, 02:46 PM
PWN3D!

beset7
09-07-2005, 02:48 PM
absolutely. being cognizant of relative position w/r to aggressinge players or FPSers can lead some very profitable situations OOP in the blinds.

but a more common situation I run into is a bad postflop player builds up a big pot with a marginal hands from the SB thru UTG and is either easily bullied by the turn or allows me to a play a draw perfectly.

OT: gus hansen is donating in the 10/20 at stars if anyone is look for entertainment.

Acesover8s
09-07-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
T: gus hansen is donating in the 10/20 at stars if anyone is look for entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been doing this for weeks now. Unfortunately the rest of the lineup in the game usually makes it not worth it.

liquid
09-07-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OT: gus hansen is donating in the 10/20 at stars if anyone is look for entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

He took down a $3000 pot just now with a rivered gut-shot (along w/top pair and a high flush draw). No idea what foe had -- the Stars history doesn't show mucked hands?

TheRempel
09-07-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and I like leading into opponents who want to outplay me in position since they've put me on AAxx since I raised out of the blinds. . .

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but a more common situation I run into is a bad postflop player builds up a big pot with a marginal hands from the SB thru UTG and is either easily bullied by the turn or allows me to a play a draw perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What am I supposed to infer from this, you dick? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Game conditions have to be right, but I am fully comfortable raising out of the blinds, knowing I can outplay 99% of my opponents after the flop. Some day, when I'm playing 10/20, maybe I'll reconsider.

TheRempel
09-07-2005, 03:13 PM
You can only see mucked hands if you were dealt in.

Acesover8s
09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

He took down a $3000 pot just now with a rivered gut-shot (along w/top pair and a high flush draw). No idea what foe had -- the Stars history doesn't show mucked hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a __double__ gutter, q-high flush draw and TPGK. He played the hand well, IMO.

liquid
09-07-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can only see mucked hands if you were dealt in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'm a moron.

Hansen is running g00t. Two $3000 pots + one $1500 pot w/in the couple orbits I've been watching.

Darwinism just got in....

autobet
09-07-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

He had a __double__ gutter, q-high flush draw and TPGK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure Gus doesn't need a hand this big to play a 3K pot.

Spellmen
09-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Maybe I missed it but what is his stars name? I don't see anything obvious

beset7
09-07-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I missed it but what is his stars name? I don't see anything obvious

[/ QUOTE ]

broksi

emil3000
09-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Alright thanks guys... Results for hand 2 I guess noone cares but anyway. I took a card off, flush came and i checkfolded.