PDA

View Full Version : Photo Manipulation 101

IQ89
09-07-2005, 08:31 AM
What would be some first steps toward learning how to digitally manimulate photos on-line? Is there software you need to buy? Or when you sign up with a PhotoBucket-type site do they provide everything you'll need?

Just as an example, let's say I wanted to create a photo of David Sklansky with a mohawk haircut for an avatar. Now I wouldn't want to merely use a colored pen to scribble it in, that would look kinda cheesy. I'd like to be able to digitally cut and paste some feature (like a haircut) from one photo onto another.

Thanks

-Skeme-
09-07-2005, 08:54 AM
You need Photoshop. You can learn to manipulate images with PS through online tutorials. The program is a lot of money.

asofel
09-07-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need Photoshop. You can learn to manipulate images with PS through online tutorials. The program is a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying I advocate this, but you can probably learn how to get programs that are a lot of money for not a lot of money, while learning how to manipulate images online...

lucas9000
09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could use the gimp.

09-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Adobe PhotoShop is one of a couple of high-end ($$$$$$) professional programs. Way too expensive, I'm guessing, for you buy and use only minimally. I used to own a printing/graphics business and have PhotoShop. It is, without a doubt, primo.

But, for limited and beginner use, there are a lot of shareware programs available. Go to c-net.com and find the shareware section. You'll find beaucoups to choose from. Most will offer you a free trial period. Expect to spend $20 to $40 for a basic program. Naturally, the more it does, the more $. If you understand the basics of computer programs, you'll find a lot of them to be very intuitive. Some have very good Help files and some are very lacking.

IQ89
09-08-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go to c-net.com and find the shareware section.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Crimson
09-08-2005, 05:53 PM
The opensource shareware programs are cool and all, but photoshop is not hard to come buy, if you dont mind that. IF you cant find it, PM me and ill help you out.

www.good-tutorials.com (http://www.good-tutorials.com) is a freakin amazing site, some are not so good, some are great, just find what your looking for and the tutorials will take you all the way.