PDA

View Full Version : more fun with AK

09-07-2005, 04:20 AM
PP 55 early in level 1. AK UTG I raise to 60. Button calls.

Flop - TTx. I bet 90 button calls.
Turn - x. Check, button bets 125 I call.
River - Q. Check, button bets 125, I call.

How did I do?

Sabrazack
09-07-2005, 04:24 AM
You should realize that you are most likely beat when he bets the turn. I fold there. You have ace high and you just blew 340 chips on a missed flop. You had plenty of chances to fold, take them.

unreal_nh
09-07-2005, 04:28 AM
i would fold the turn unless i had a good idea what kind of player he is

09-07-2005, 06:11 AM
Is it really that easy, miss the flop and look for the nearest exit sign?

I feel that lots of times I will fold to a mini raise on the flop or be called and then check-fold the turn and I'm always wondering if my AK wasn't good. This happens so often that I'm thinking that they can't have something every time this happens which means I should reevaluate my play. AK is tough, I think that I should mix it up, sometimes check this flop, sometimes fold to a bet, sometimes call, sometimes raise, when I bet the flop and am called sometimes bet the turn, sometimes give up ...

I just see this as a tough spo and just giving up every time I miss is a little too "standard" for my liking, perhaps I'm wrong. Would sure like to hear other thoughts though.

Maulik
09-07-2005, 10:36 AM
AKo UTG demostrates how important playing this hand positionally is. There are many ways to play, this hand, but I don't think c-bet, c/c, c/c is a good one. His pocket 2s are good here along with any of the broadway cards that hit.

downtown
09-07-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you plan on check/calling the rest of the way down. If you really think you have the best hand on the turn, or can get the villain to fold, why didn't you fire another barrel? Then if he called or raised you would know your hand was no good, and you could potentially do it more cheaply than check/call check/call.

wiggs73
09-07-2005, 10:40 AM
I guess the real questin here is do you think he's calling an UTG raise with AJ, KJ, or worse and then betting them strongly on the turn and river. I'm guessing no.

Of course, he could also have AK, but it seems to me like you're hoping for a split pot at best.

Wes ManTooth
09-07-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that I should mix it up, sometimes check this flop, sometimes fold to a bet, sometimes call, sometimes raise, when I bet the flop and am called sometimes bet the turn, sometimes give up ...

[/ QUOTE ]

mixing it up out of position is not always the best idea, also with this flop i think you can what for a better time.

09-07-2005, 12:51 PM
I've played like this too, but I don't think it's correct and have stopped.

I'm guessing by the way you wrote the hand history, the Q was significant, so he had like AQ or KQ or something.

However, on the turn I think this is a clear fold to an average opponent's range of hands. He could have a PP, he could have paired whatever the other card on the flop was, he could have trip tens. It's just very rare for someone to call a bet with the intention of taking it away on a later street, and I think that you shouldn't make plays that are only correct if that's the case.

09-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Been away a couple of days thus the delayed response.

Villain had AQ.

Tough hand, been thinking about this one quite a bit and still haven't figured it out. Agree to a degree with everyone's comments, thanks.

AK, sigh.

AliasMrJones
09-08-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not quite that easy. Miss the flop, make a play for it, get called and then bet at on turn, now look for the exit sign.