PDA

View Full Version : When are you too old for college?

TStoneMBD
09-07-2005, 03:46 AM
Lately I've been thinking about possibly going to college. I'm not sure if I want to wait a couple more years or not, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting too old to go to college. I'm certainly getting dumber as time passes. I'm currently 20, when do you think it's too late for me to go to college? I don't want to be that 30 year old guy on campus chasing the freshmen cherries, err well maybe I do.

W. Deranged
09-07-2005, 03:49 AM
...uh... never...

20 is definitely not to late. Plenty of people take a year or two off after high school to travel/work/whatever. You'll be fine.

Malachii
09-07-2005, 03:49 AM
Definitely not too late. At community colleges there are people in their 30s and 40s. You should go - at least take a few units every semester so that you're gradually working towards a degree.

09-07-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lately I've been thinking about possibly going to college. I'm not sure if I want to wait a couple more years or not, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting too old to go to college. I'm certainly getting dumber as time passes. I'm currently 20, when do you think it's too late for me to go to college? I don't want to be that 30 year old guy on campus chasing the freshmen cherries, err well maybe I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you're twenty? Yeah, forget about it- you're too old for college… although I hear McDonalds is hiring… never too old for that.

TStoneMBD
09-07-2005, 04:01 AM
i didnt mean to imply that 20 is too old for college. i posted this because i want to know if i wait until im 25 will it be too late and awkward. im thinking about whether i want to attend college within a few years or not and i fear it may be awkward when im older.

09-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I knew that, but you're never too old to go to college. If you want to go to the ones that have parties and what not (i.e., you're not going to just study), then yes, get in there before you turn 24.

thatpfunk
09-07-2005, 04:42 AM
Are you talking about attending college or living the college lifestyle?

25 is really pushing it as far as becoming a creepy older guy that shouldn't be hanging out with freshman. Go asap, it's easy and a lot of fun.

billyjex
09-07-2005, 04:58 AM
I think you probably want to wait a couple years to take advantage of the current poker boom, but I think you should at the least start taking some GE classes at a local community college to start to try to find out what you want to do. These don't take much time and you will have plenty of time to play poker.

Seadood228
09-07-2005, 05:17 AM
I went when I was 18, then went back 8 years later. I enjoyed it much better the second time around.

LetYouDown
09-07-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm struggling with this as well. I'm 24 now and I want to go back and finish my degree. Granted, I have a year or two under my belt, but it's still weird. I got a job in my field and the money was too good to pass up at the time. But, mostly for personal reasons, I want to go back and finish my degree. Unfortunately, I'm not a poker pro or independently wealthy, so I'll have to do it class by class at night. Hopefully I graduated by 35.

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 09:03 AM
I started college when I was 23, after the Marines. I got my BA and then MBA. If I'd gone at 18 I probably would have screwed around. I would probably have finished but maybe only after changing majors a few times and with a crappy GPA. By the time I went, I knew what I wanted to do and was motivated.

lucas9000
09-07-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I started college when I was 23, after the Marines. I got my BA and then MBA. If I'd gone at 18 I probably would have screwed around. I would probably have finished but maybe only after changing majors a few times and with a crappy GPA. By the time I went, I knew what I wanted to do and was motivated.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but a lot has changed on college campuses since the '50s /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ddollevoet
09-07-2005, 09:18 AM
http://www.whatevs.org/images/dailypics/04_10/tommylee.jpg

Shajen
09-07-2005, 09:38 AM
I took a few courses at age 28.

I'm youngish looking though, so it wasn't too awkward.

Besides, you're there to learn, not to give a damn what some 18 year old kid thinks of you.

gulebjorn
09-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm 26 and in college. Started again last year to finish my degree. I'll be done next summer.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-07-2005, 09:43 AM
I was done (with my undergrad) when I was 20. You're way behind.

MrTrik
09-07-2005, 09:57 AM
You're never too old for college. Just because you go back later in life doesn't mean you'll be living in the dorms and hanging with the freshmen. If you are starting college while heading into your 20s, don't join frats, don't hit the keg parties, and if you are needy think about banging the female professors rather than the co-eds. Just treat the college program as an investment in your future and get the work done. Enjoy the long term benefits.

For the person who was 24 hoping to finish a couple of years by age 35 in night school you need to look around a bit. If you can give up a couple of nights a week and occasional Saturdays you can get an entire degree in 3 years at many schools. Plus there are many decent schools with programs geared to working/career people. They offer many options on timing and even have ways of dealing with working people that sometimes travel for business and so must miss class occasionally.

asofel
09-07-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but a lot has changed on college campuses since the '50s /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

f'ing brilliant /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lucas9000
09-07-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're never too old for college.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/Images/BackToSchool/BackToSchool6.jpg

sammysusar
09-07-2005, 10:19 AM
if you want to learn dont go to college. you can learn just as much on your own. college was fun though thats about it

LetYouDown
09-07-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For the person who was 24 hoping to finish a couple of years by age 35 in night school you need to look around a bit. If you can give up a couple of nights a week and occasional Saturdays you can get an entire degree in 3 years at many schools. Plus there are many decent schools with programs geared to working/career people. They offer many options on timing and even have ways of dealing with working people that sometimes travel for business and so must miss class occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was being more facetious than anything. I know it won't take until I'm 35, especially with a couple years under my belt...but it's still somewhat daunting. I don't want to take on more than I can handle.

When I went to school the first time, I lacked motivation. The courses were far too easy, and I had to take a math course again when I transferred, so I blew it off entirely. I was so lazy it was disturbing. I had this sense of entitlement, in that I thought because I knew the course work, I didn't need to show up. It failed pretty miserably.

I just don't want to be that guy that always talks about going back to school and doesn't do it. I've got to put up or shut up pretty soon, as I'm convinced if I don't do it soon...I never will.

Shajen
09-07-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was done (with my undergrad) when I was 20. You're way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] overachievers.

BoogerFace
09-07-2005, 10:22 AM
I went back when I was 24. It was tough - I had relearn how to solve math problems, I was older than the TAs, and had forgot how to sit still and study and suck up to professors.

I'd go back as soon as possible.

Al P
09-07-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you want to learn dont go to college. you can learn just as much on your own. college was fun though thats about it

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you forget to log in to your Mr. Horrible Advice Guy account?

LetYouDown
09-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Did you go back full time or as a night student? Are you glad that you did? Aside from having to relearn things because they weren't fresh anymore, what other challenges did you face?

IndieMatty
09-07-2005, 10:29 AM
We've told you a bunch of times. You should go ASAP. With each year the chances of it being fun and productive decrease.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-07-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We've told you a bunch of times. You should go ASAP. With each year the chances of it being fun and productive decrease.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. DO IT. NOW.

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a regular at a bar near my apartment where I was known by the young college regulars as "the oldest freshman". /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

lighterjobs
09-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I went to a branch of oklahoma state last year that was a pretty small college. I had a couple of people in my classes last year who were pushing 60.

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I went to a branch of oklahoma state last year that was a pretty small college. I had a couple of people in my classes last year who were pushing 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oklahoma? I'm guessing they just finished high school.

09-07-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to be that 30 year old guy on campus chasing the freshmen cherries, err well maybe I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then be that 30-year old guy who doesn't chase freshmen.

In all seriousness, 20 isn't too old to start college.

jokerthief
09-07-2005, 11:13 AM
never

SL__72
09-07-2005, 11:18 AM
I always had 40+ year olds in my classes and never thought it was weird... now if you are 30 and you live in the dorms thats another story /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
now if you are 30 and you live in the dorms thats another story /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...also don't join a frat unless you want to be the freshman that gets sent to buy the beer for the juniors not old enough to buy it for themselves. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MarkL444
09-07-2005, 11:27 AM
age shouldnt even be a consideration. i would be more worried that if you wait till your 25ish you might have other things going on in your life (maybe wife, starting a family) and you wont be able to. if you really want to do this, i would start putting serious focus on starting next fall.

tdarko
09-07-2005, 11:28 AM
it depends what your at college for. all the posters that said it was weird obviously don't know how to look at two sides of any given situation.

obviously its not cool for an old man to be a freshman living in the dorms and going to house parties. my uncle graduated from the university of north texas when he was forty one years old, he commuted and took night classes after his 9-5 job (he makes 6 figures a year). he needed two years to finish his degree in which he never completed originally, he had a great job and financially didn't need to finish his schooling but it was something he wanted to accomplish. he didn't go back to school to party, he went back to get his degree.

my answer is there is no age limit depending on what you are going for.

James Boston
09-07-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about attending college or living the college lifestyle?

25 is really pushing it as far as becoming a creepy older guy that shouldn't be hanging out with freshman. Go asap, it's easy and a lot of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what it really boils down to. I wouldn't put an age limit on when you're too old to get a degree. However, if you want the social college experience, you've got to consider how old you are, although 20 is not too old. I was in a fraternity and we had guys come out of the military, who wanted the regular college experience, that joined. When they were 22-24, it was no big deal for them because, even though they were freshmen, there were still guys their age hanging around that were seniors. But by the time they were seniors (25-26), I could tell they felt very out of place in many situations. If you start now and finish in 4 years, you will never feel like the old guy. There will be plenty of guys who started when they were 18 and are still there 6 years later...like I did. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BoogerFace
09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you go back full time or as a night student? Are you glad that you did? Aside from having to relearn things because they weren't fresh anymore, what other challenges did you face?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was fulltime days at WPI - I felt like the world's oldest freshman. I tried the classes after work thing, but it would have taken way too long.

Money was an issue - I had to live off campus and work to pay the rent. I was constantly broke and couldn't afford car insurance. I'd have to sell last semester's books in order to pay for the new ones. Things were really tight until I got a gig with a local computer company - I worked 20 hours a week in addition to my studies. My senior year I was lucky to get 4 hours sleep a night.

Hanging out with younger kids was also strange. I remember my first week of classes talking with this guy who missed making out with his girlfriend in his dad's car. Having lived on my own for 6 years, I had a tough time relating to kids who had only lived with their parents.

Socially, I hung out with the other 'non-traditional' older students. We were a huge minority. Chasing borderline jail-bait tail just didn't appeal to me. I regret that now - I shoulda tagged everything in sight.

I was glad I went back - a engineering degree opened up a whole new world in terms of job opportunities that I didn't have as a college dropout. I had some really crappy jobs before I went back - I worked in kitchens, was a bill collector, telemarketing, and a lot of retail jobs. Being flat broke all the time was hard as hell though.

BoogerFace
09-07-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I just don't want to be that guy that always talks about going back to school and doesn't do it. I've got to put up or shut up pretty soon, as I'm convinced if I don't do it soon...I never will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back. I did it and would do it again. Shop around for programs at a school that will challenge you and financial aid. Some schools will take you on in the name of diversity and get you a sweet deal. I did 4 years and it was hard, but 2 years should be a breeze.

It gets harder the longer you wait.

sammysusar
09-07-2005, 01:14 PM
i just feel that college really is overrated in terms of learning anything. you can learn just as much on your own if your willing to read, etc.
granted it might not be so easy to get a job without school. but think school is dumb.

Voltron87
09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good point. a lot of 18 year old kids just show up to school because they think they have to, and then get there and waste their time. if you go later when you want to after taking time off it will probably work out better.

of course, jake served his country in the navy instead of dicking around as an internet poker pro, and being in the military (even the navy) does teach you discipline and all that good stuff.

Tailgunner
09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
I didn't even read the rest of this thread, but I'll throw in my two cents. You're never too old. Period, end of story. I started college when I was 25 (I even met a few people there who were much older) and it had it's pros and cons.

On the positive side, I had an edge over most of the scared, submissive teenagers fresh out of high school. I was able to talk with my professors on a more even level, and that helped me excel in my courses. Instead of chumming with the students, since they were all younger, I was more inclined to hang with the teachers. I didn't have that freshman fear of a completely new experience, or believe my professors were superior simply because they were teaching me something, and I didn't feel out of place.

On the negative side, I was too old (bah, I say!) to live on campus, so I had to work full time to pay my rent and bills. Go to class from 8am-5pm, work from 6pm-1am, study/homework until morning and do it all again. Six hours sleep every other night is brutal. With that kind of responsibility I couldn't focus 100% on either task, and both my performance at work and my grades suffered a bit because of it. What can ya do. The other major drawback was that most of the hotties weren't interested in a man that old. Of course, that wasn't as bad as it might seem when you're 18 though, and there's always the bar/club scene to fill in <g>

<font color="maroon">~TG</font> /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Voltron87
09-07-2005, 01:33 PM
also:

DO IT NOW. NOW. YOURE ONLY 20 ONCE.

if you dont do it now you never will.

SO DO IT.

TheBlueMonster
09-07-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to be that 30 year old guy on campus chasing the freshmen cherries, err well maybe I do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes you do.

TStoneMBD
09-07-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is a good point. a lot of 18 year old kids just show up to school because they think they have to, and then get there and waste their time. if you go later when you want to after taking time off it will probably work out better.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a major part of it. 2 years ago i never would have taken the responsibility and done the work. even still im not nearly as responsible as i should be. i think that in a few years ill be much more apt to take college seriously because i see myself developing that way. however, i might go earlier. i still have alot of thinking to do.

what i really want is to make enough money to buy a nice house on the beach, find someone i love and sip margaritas till the sun goes down on my life. i fear that college might prolong that as it will be an expensive experience. i dont want to enter the workforce, yet i dont know if my knowledge in poker and other things will be enough to carry me to my aforementioned goals, which is why im considering advancing my education.

Voltron87
09-07-2005, 01:58 PM
DO IT NOW

youll end up putting it off, and then youll [censored] it up.

go to school, find something youre interested in, live in a dorm and meet people. it will be fun.

DO IT NOW, time is a factor here.

Analyst
09-07-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go ASAP, yes, but I disagree with the "productive decrease" part. I've gotten degrees at 21, 31 and 41 and done better each time (both in terms of grades and actual learning) as I've become better focused and personally more productive.

College may be a lot more fun when you're &lt;=25, but you can learn more without the distractions.

Unoriginalname
09-07-2005, 02:48 PM
First off, you are never too old to go to college. However, once you start pushing mid 20's, you've missed your chance to ever experience the true "college lifestyle" that everyone here is talking about. You're just too old to really fit in with the majority of the student population.

I have so many crazy stories and experiences from my 4 years of college. I wouldn't trade that for anything, and I'm sure lots of other people here feel the same way. You'll learn just as much from the whole college experience as you do in the college classes you take. I know that probably sounds like some overused, cliché maxim, but it's really true. Also, the networking connections you make via meeting new people and making new friends could be one of the most important things you've ever done. If you don't go to college within a year or two, you will most likely deeply regret it down the road.

Shilly
09-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Holy [censored], you're 20? I seriously thought you were 25 or 26.

Anyway, I don't think it's too late to go. My dad started college when he was 21--he even lived in the dorms. Unless you don't want to be the bitch that gets carryouts for everyone...

turnipmonster
09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
dude, go to school. you don't have to know exactly what you want to do, just that you want to be in that enviroment and learn. 20 is still quite young and you won't feel out of place at all.

I went for a 2nd undergraduate at 24 and didn't feel out of place at all, but obviously the older you get the less school will be fulfilling from a social perspective. if you want to make friends and meet people roughly your age, go to school now, or soon. if the education is the sole reason, take your time.

personally I think you should take some classes part time asap, and then use that to make a decision.

--turnipmonster

ihardlyknowher
09-07-2005, 03:08 PM
I started college when I was 20, and turned 21 my freshman year. It was freakin' awesome. Nothing impresses the ladies like having a Junior ask you to buy beer for him.