PDA

View Full Version : evolution of a human brain

siegfriedandroy
09-07-2005, 03:14 AM
as i was dozing off last night, i began pondering how something as complicated as the human brain could evolve by chance apart from God. to all you math majors out there, what is the probability of a human brain evolving from a 'singularity' w/i 17 billion years apart from any supernatural intervention?

I will concede that this singularity somehow simply appeared 17 billion years ago (for no reason, w/o God, etc.; a difficult, if not impossible proposition for the atheist to explain in itself).

If we could somehow conduct an experiment 1 billion times, starting w/ nothing but a singularity (and no Intelligence to guide it), how many times out of this billion will a human brain evolve w/i 20 billion years?

KeysrSoze
09-07-2005, 03:32 AM
Well, the probability that a concious brain evolved in that time is 1:1, because it did. The probability that one COULD in that time period, who knows? It could be one in a googleplex, but if you're living in the universe where that one time happens and you're here with your brain to ask the odds, the probability must have been some finite number. The odds of someone winning the lottery are quite out there too, but people do win them.

siegfriedandroy
09-07-2005, 03:37 AM
how can you prove that this happened?

siegfriedandroy
09-07-2005, 03:42 AM
You say that the chances of the human brain evolving are 100% in the example of our universe. Are you implying that with the initial conditions of how our universe came into existence, that strict determinism rules, and that nothing in our history could possibly have been any other way?

KeysrSoze
09-07-2005, 03:45 AM
Prove what happened? That my brain evolved rather than being magicked up?

I'm just saying, it happened because it happened. If it didnt happen, it wouldn't have happened.

09-07-2005, 04:48 AM
I just wrote another post on this in which I explained whi this isn't a well thought out question. Check it out.
Shooby