PDA

View Full Version : Top 2 in the 22s

bones
09-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t770)
UTG (t1055)
UTG+1 (t840)
UTG+2 (t555)
MP1 (t685)
MP2 (t860)
MP3 (t830)
CO (t695)
Button (t865)
Hero (t845)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t15, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t72.50) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t65</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t65, MP1 folds, Button calls t65.

Turn: (t267.50) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, UTG+1 calls t150, Button folds.

River: (t567.50) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t250</font>, Hero calls t250.

Final Pot: t1067.50

Comments on turn and river?

Freudian
09-07-2005, 01:48 AM
You played it fine.

Scuba Chuck
09-07-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You played it fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I do this a lot still, I am consistently shown the hand I fear. I might be coming to the conclusion that this is a leak.

BTW, I seriously don't think you need to bet that much on the turn. I would also bet the turn, but less is more (if you see my point).

I would appreciate anyone who's been playing poker longer to enlighten me. I really think I need to stop calling these. Also, this is the one I hate the most, a lot of players have now decided to just push their completed flush here, making a "pay to show me" call a lot more difficult.

Anyway, I guess if villain bets A LOT less, then it might be worth it. Ahhh.

Anyway, in hindsight, it seems the better route is to overbet the pot on the flop. Make another bet on the turn, not that much unlike yours, and I'm done. That's got to be enough to let me know I'm beat right?

Freudian
09-07-2005, 02:40 AM
At the 22s, the villain taking a stab at it it almost certain when hero checks the river. While I wouldn't rule a flush out I wouldn't be surprised to see A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J non-/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, KJ and tonnes of other stuff. KQ is a nasty alternative for our hero of course.

I think hero wins this one more than 1/3 on the river.

An alternative is to throw out a blocking bet of 150 on the river and fold to a raise.

Scuba Chuck
09-07-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At the 22s, the villain taking a stab at it it almost certain when hero checks the river. While I wouldn't rule a flush out I wouldn't be surprised to see A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J non-/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, KJ and tonnes of other stuff. KQ is a nasty alternative for our hero of course.

An alternative is to throw out a blocking bet of 150 on the river and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is really your belief, than a blocking bet is a must.

09-07-2005, 05:40 AM
I am pretty sure you are in front here on the river about 80-90% of the time, so a call is mandatory (don't forget you are playing 22 and we don't have the read that you are up against a good player there).
The times you loose here is about 80% because he played KQ and hits his 3-outer on the river and may be 15% he is playing 88 or 77 (but usually he would put you all-in here). 5% he just tricked you - congrat him.

Still I prefer betting the river (150 sounds reasonable) for the following reasons:
- don't give him a free showdown with his K7, K3, Ad8x (he might be able not to bet this but will call), compared to your line you would get 100 less or 150 more
- if he puts you all-in then you can lay it down (sorry, haven't checked your commitment to the pot, but I think you still have enough chips left then)
- if he then puts in say 300 and make it 150 to you to see his cards (flush, trips, KQ...) you seem to be up against one of the top-10%-players in the 22 - may be it is even worth paying and making a note... [censored] happens.

jedinite
09-07-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure you are in front here on the river about 80-90% of the time, so a call is mandatory (don't forget you are playing 22 and we don't have the read that you are up against a good player there).
The times you loose here is about 80% because he played KQ and hits his 3-outer on the river and may be 15% he is playing 88 or 77 (but usually he would put you all-in here). 5% he just tricked you - congrat him.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the 22's with five people seeing the flop in an unraised pot, i'd say based the call on the turn, a significant percentage of the time you're up against either one big diamond (especially if they mid/small paired their second card) or two weak diamonds (suited one gap connectors and higher are getting limped at $22 a lot especially from the back with limpers in front).

I like the play of a blocking bet on the turn and then folding to a re-raise. But since he just called - I imagine we're up against a slowplayed flush here.

The bet on the river looks like a value bet with a made hand to me. I don't think you see many players at the $22 run a bluff on the end with a bet for value - most of the time someone bluffing the end will bet much more of their stack if not push.

If you're going to call 150 on the end I certainly like leading out with 150 and folding to a re-raise. I don't like calling what looks to me like a clear value bet at a level where I don't think my opponents are generally sophisticated enough to run a value-bet-as-a-bluff play.

ilya
09-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I would try for an all-in check-raise on the flop. I don't like betting pot as you're OOP and tons of bad cards can come on the turn. You end up in some very awkward situations. So why not try to get all your money in when you're almost certain to have the best hand, especially since people will very often read you for a draw. If it's checked around on the flop you know you're ahead and can comfortably bet big on a safe turn. If the turn is a danger card, meh. Your equity in the pot was like 45-50 chips at most.

On the turn I would prolly check/fold.

On the river after betting the turn I would either check/fold or make a blocking bet &amp; fold to a raise.

09-07-2005, 02:31 PM
I think a blocking bet is a mistake here because a raise from TP is a real possibility, as is a fold from many hands that would bluff/value bet if we check.

Against tougher opponents, I like blocking bet as it properly defines our hand in a spot where deception seems unwise.

Nicholasp27
09-07-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is really your belief, than a blocking bet is a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

why so?

if u take the statement "villian will always bet a checked river" as fact, then blocking bet seems incorrect...if he has rags, he'll fold to a blocking bet but he'd bet a check and u get more chips...

durron597
09-07-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would try for an all-in check-raise on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like the stacks are a little bit too deep for a c-r push. If you bet and get raised, you can happily push and if he folds you win a nice pot.

However a smaller checkraise might be in order. You'd hate to see this board check around, but with 3 opponents you will likely get a bet...