PDA

View Full Version : Any CFAs willing to give advice out there?

ihardlyknowher
09-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Cross posted in OOT.

I just found out I passed Level III. I would like to get the charter, but I am 9 months shy on work experience (and not doing anything right now that qualifies). I was thinking of using poker as qualifying experience. It technically fits the definition (use of statistical information for making investment decisions). I would like to talk to a charterholder about this first though? Any help would be appreciated.

09-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Find a friend that has his own co. and have him vouch for you that you've done financial work for the past yr for him on the side.

09-07-2005, 08:34 AM
congrats btw on passing L3

buffett
09-07-2005, 03:34 PM
great job on level iii and great username. i just got the charter last year and i'm certain that those cfai folks aren't going to count poker as 'work experience.' about 33 of my 36 months were spent as an actuary, and they barely counted that.
-web

ihardlyknowher
09-07-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
great job on level iii and great username. i just got the charter last year and i'm certain that those cfai folks aren't going to count poker as 'work experience.' about 33 of my 36 months were spent as an actuary, and they barely counted that.
-web

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. You are the only person that mentioned that they had a hard time getting work experience approved. Weird, especially since actuary is on the approved list. I have 2 summer internships and a part-time stint as an actuary. I am going to submit it (along with the poker) and cross my fingers. Wish me luck.