PDA

View Full Version : High-Low Books

exist47
04-23-2003, 11:18 PM
What are the best books about Omaha Hi-Low and 7-stud Hi-low? I figured Ray Zee's 2+2 book on the subjects would be the best, but the amazon.com reviews make me think otherwise. thx for all replies.

Liz L.
04-23-2003, 11:29 PM
I attribute my success in $5/$10 stud hi/lo entirely to continuous rereading of Ray Zee's book.

If there's anything else on the subject that comes close, I'd like to know about it.

Andy B
04-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Ray's book is all you'll ever need to beat most high-low split games. I consider it to be the strongest of the "Advanced Players" series, and that's saying something. It should pay for itself in about ten hours in a $.50 home game.

What are they saying on Amazon? That his grammar is even worse than Sklansky's?

exist47
04-24-2003, 01:19 AM
thx for the recommendations. i'll probably pickup ray zee's book soon. maybe the amazon guys didn't want anyone else making money off zee's book...hmmm. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Mike Gallo
04-24-2003, 11:21 AM
Or you can check out Sklansky's chapter in Doyle Brunsons Super System book.

Don't believe the reviews. Ray Zee's book is the best out there.

Of course, I am on the payroll. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Declarer
04-24-2003, 11:53 AM
Sorry, but I disagree with the other posters. I thought Ray's book was terrible. (Sorry Ray) I thought it really cheapened the Advanced Player series. There is no talk of anything concrete. No list anywhere of the most basic question--What is a good starting hand in Omaha? Yes, we all can figure out that AA23 is good, but how about the second best hand.

I love hilo split, and I read it because I will read anything I can on the game. The book was better than nothing... but not much.

Andy B
04-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Well, if you need to be spoon-fed, then no, Ray Zee's book isn't for you. Poker probably isn't for you, either. No, there aren't hand rankings like there are in HP4AP. For one thing, there are too many possible combinations. For another, it really isn't necessary or desirable. You want hands that are highly coordinated and can make the nuts. It does say that in there, doesn't it? A2 is a nice combination to have, but it doesn't make a hand automatically playable. He says that too, doesn't he?

What does it matter what the second-best hand in Omaha/8 is anyway? It might be A234 or AA24 or AK23 or something else. I don't know, and I don't care--I'm going to play all of those hands in any position for any amount anyway. Does the relative ranking of JJ and AKs affect how you play those? There are no hand rankings in 7CS4AP; does that cheapen the Advanced Series as well?

Ray doesn't spell out what to do with every kind of hand you might get dealt. He does tell you what to consider when deciding whether to play a hand and how to play it. I think that this a superior approach. I've made a decent chunk of change because of Ray's book. Anybody who reads their copy as much as I have mine should do well.

Ray Zee
04-24-2003, 02:10 PM
thanks andy,

i try to write so it makes one think, and not just give a list of things to do. that doesnt work in poker except at the most basic games full of fools as you well know. if those that buy the book dont want to take the time to understand the game, and just want to read it on the toilet for a quick course and become an expert, then i failed at their desire.

Gitz
04-24-2003, 05:53 PM
"amazon.com reviews" Read the reviews here and then decide. The only drawback for Zee's book that I've read is that it is not Methodical. If you play for any amount of time and keep playing Methodical you will lose your ass. He makes you think as he think's (which is scary in itself) but rereading and studying the book you come to appreciate the depth and weight of the knowledge in the book by going over and over the readings.

paul

Andy B
04-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Sklansky's chapter in S/S is certainly worth reading, but stud/8 and the old game without the qualifier are very different games.

sahaguje
05-01-2003, 09:58 AM
Hi all,

I am new here and i would like to know if there is any book about big-bet high-low. I'm not sure, but i guess MrZee's book is more specifically designed for limit players ; and in France we only play Pot-limit. I've read Ciafonne and Reuben's book, which is good, but really does not provide enough information about each game. By the way, just by curiosity, do you play Omaha 5 (five cards in hand instead of four) in the US ?

Thanks in advance. Greetings from France.

Sahaguje

Ray Zee
05-01-2003, 11:38 PM
welcome here sahaguje,

the difference between playing big bet and limit is alot of the betting and adjusting for hand values based on position and chips. that can only be figured out in your head for the particular situation. so by reading a limit book and making the proper adjustments gets you close to what to do in no limit or pot. besides i have played in the aviation club, and the games should be easy to adjust to there.
no we dont play much 5 card anywhere, except in private games. you have to adjust from 4 card. especially when the first flop card is turned up in either game.

Schmed
05-05-2003, 03:36 PM
I read your book on the toilet all the time..... I must have read 4 chapters after eating that 15 pounds of crawfish........ /forums/images/icons/grin.gif to be honest those had to be the crappiest chapters /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Great book Ray. It even helped me out in the HI only game I play. The knowledge is much appreciated.