PDA

View Full Version : Implied odds

09-06-2005, 11:57 PM
I just switched from 10 handed limit to nl cashgames. Back in limit when I flop a draw, I would count my outs, count the pot and add at least two big bets or so for implied odds depending on who's in the hand. Now that I switched to nl, I noticed that implied odds could be up to my or opponents' stacks (whichever is lower). How do you manage implied odds in nl? Also, I'm thinking that because hands like sets have huge implied odds, calling with even a pair of 2's UTG is a good idea...what do you think?

baumer
09-07-2005, 12:07 AM
some players just won't pay you off with their whole stack without a legitimate hand.
other players find it hard to fold TPTK.

i like to draw to nut-like hands against the latter, as the implied odds are more favorable against these players.

try to pick out the players that stand up to big bets and milk their mediocre hands whenever you get a chance.

09-07-2005, 11:18 AM
As a general rule, figure about 7.5 to 1 on your pf odds if you have a wired pair. Compare that to his stack or your stack, whichever is smaller, before deciding on calling a pf raise.

mudbuddha
09-07-2005, 11:29 AM
thats a good piece of advice but pretty specific,
do u have any other "rules of thumbs"?

i usually figure 3:1 on my straight draws as opposed to flush draws which have next to no implied odds b/c its so obvious on the board.

09-07-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thats a good piece of advice but pretty specific,
do u have any other "rules of thumbs"?

i usually figure 3:1 on my straight draws as opposed to flush draws which have next to no implied odds b/c its so obvious on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another rule of thumb?

Always raise with AA. How's that?

mudbuddha
09-07-2005, 05:00 PM
um. haha thank you, never would of thought of that one

benkahuna
09-08-2005, 02:03 AM
Don't forget about reverse implied odds which involve the ability to eventually lose your entire stack rather than implied odds which involve the ability to win your opponent's entire stack.

And don't forget about redraw odds and effective odds as well.