PDA

View Full Version : Being satisfied

Fmonti
04-23-2003, 09:06 PM
On the button in the 2nd hand of a single table tournament and you call after an ep and mp limp in. There is $70.00 in the pot and 4 players..The flop is 843 two spades..It is checked around to me and I bet /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Everyone folds and I win $70.00..After winning the pot I couldn't help thinking I should have tried building a bigger pot where it was so early in the tourney or should I have been satisfied with a paltry $70.00 after flopping a set?? /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

ohkanada
04-24-2003, 11:34 AM
You didn't say how much you bet or which set you flopped. Flopping a set is great but with straight and flush draws out there I would bet.

Ken Poklitar

Mark Heide
04-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Fmonti,

Before betting in any situation you need to consider the size of the pot. Early, in a tournament most people do not want to commit much unless they make something. In this case if your opponents only had overcards, they probably folded. If you want to slow play you need to be able to assess your opponents carefully. You will gain this from experience by experimenting with slow playing and you may make some mistakes and lose a stack once in a while.

Since, it is early in the tournament winning a very small pot has virtually no significant value, even with a set. How are you going to get paid off if everyone has nothing?
In your situation, you may want to check and see what happens on the turn. Remember that since there is not a significant pot to win NOT to get married to your hand.

On the turn, you should be able to make a judgement. If an overcard pops off, someone will likely make a bet. You just need to determine by the size of bets what actions you should take next.

For example, a tricky situation could be if another spade popped off. If it was a A, K, Q, or J of spades and someone bet, I'd probably put them on overcards and would not worry too much about the spade. If it was below a J, I'd continue carefully. What you are trying to do at this point is asses the strength of your opponents. You should be able to tell how strong they are by observing their betting patterns. But, don't forget that you may have to give up your set if it turns ugly.

Good Luck

Mark