PDA

View Full Version : Rate these boards for me...

Mr_J
09-06-2005, 10:24 PM
I have A35Tr (ace is a spade) and the flops comes 24Q with 2 spades. 2 checks, someone pots, I call, 2 callers behind. What should I have done and why? How likely is it that orig bettor has A3xs??

3s comes on the turn.
I bet, get a caller, and then the flop bettor raises. Now I assume I'm playing for just half the pot, will I be quartered enough that I should get out now?

Ok, another one. AAQ4 from LP. Button calls, bb checks. Flop comes AK4, putting 2 flush on the board, not of my suit. BB checks, I check since I KNOW button will bet. He does and I pot it, he calls.

Turn comes 5 of diamonds giving 3 flush. I check, he checks behind me.

River comes a blank so I bet 1/4 of the pot. He minraises me and I fold.

I don't like that river, I don't think many worse hands call, so I'm probally better checking it.

I was going to list quite a few flops, just to see whether my evaluations are ok, instead it turned into 2 hands.

Ribbo
09-07-2005, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

River comes a blank so I bet 1/4 of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hear that? I did. It was the bet talking to me, he was saying "Hi, i'm weak, please raise me so I can fold, I know I've lost money on the hand, but i've decided to lose more instead"
I've made a ton of money off weak players making small "blocking" bets and just raising them off with nothing. For too many people weak bets are exactly that.
Read the next bit and take it in.
IF YOU HAVE NOTHING, CHECK. Checking actually gives your opponent less information that betting small. Only bet small when you want to be raised, because trust me, you will be.

Mendacious
09-07-2005, 09:20 AM
This is why the people on another thread who want to factor checking into the aggression formula as a demoninator that decreases aggression don't know what they are talking about.

2+2 Pokerace redefining aggression thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3328503&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=2#Post3337538)

Spladle Master
09-07-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

River comes a blank so I bet 1/4 of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hear that? I did. It was the bet talking to me, he was saying "Hi, i'm weak, please raise me so I can fold, I know I've lost money on the hand, but i've decided to lose more instead"
I've made a ton of money off weak players making small "blocking" bets and just raising them off with nothing. For too many people weak bets are exactly that.
Read the next bit and take it in.
IF YOU HAVE NOTHING, CHECK. Checking actually gives your opponent less information that betting small. Only bet small when you want to be raised, because trust me, you will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post made me laugh out loud, because it's just so damned true. I haven't played PL Omaha of any kind in awhile but this concept applies to NL hold 'em as well. And yet I still see people making these "please raise me" bets all the time and then folding when the raise comes. The better players will sometimes make these bets but only if they welcome a raise. You absolutely cannot make a "blocking bet" against any kind of reasonably competent opponent and expect it to show a profit. Only against weak, passive fish might this pay off.

GooperMC
09-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Hand1:
On the flop I repot. You have position on the original bettor and you don't want to give people odds to draw at their flush.

On the turn I flat call to try and keep as many people in this pot as possible.

Hand2:
Either check the river or make a real bet. I would check.

emptyshell
09-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Hand1: Repot it on the flop. Someone could be sitting with a rather unlikely A3s, but even then you are not in horrible shape. I probably wouldn't fold on the turn, but it depends a lot on how tight the caller is and how much money you have behind.

Hand2: Only a 9 is a blank on the river; is that what hit? I agree that a 1/4 pot bet is asking to be raised; although, personally, I would have called a minraise of a 1/4 pot bet. There are two reasonable courses of action for this hand: (1) pot the turn and see if you can get a lesser flush to fold, (2) check the river and call only a smallish bet.

Mr_J
09-07-2005, 06:11 PM
"Did you hear that? I did. It was the bet talking to me, he was saying "Hi, i'm weak, please raise me so I can fold"

Lol yeh, but I did say in my post that it was poor /images/graemlins/wink.gif Love it when someone makes a response like this, because you just don't forget it (which is a good thing).