PDA

View Full Version : Resisting the urge to check to the raiser

DrewOnTilt
09-06-2005, 10:14 PM
I am new to the table, 2nd orbit. Villain is an unknown but I have seen him raise draws in position on 2-3 previous hands.

I only have Ace high, but if he is on a flush draw then he is drawing against me. Only I got raised on the turn...what should have been my line?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

toss
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
That 5 on the turn completes a 78 straight draw.

hobbsmann
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
I don't like your donk bet on the turn. In the cases that I think I am ahead a portion of the time with A high combined with having over card outs that are probably good I think a c/c on the turn is the line I would take. I would then look to showdown AK high on the river UI if an obvious straight or flush card doesn't fall, c/f the river if they do, and bet/call with an A/K on the river.

Nick C
09-06-2005, 10:36 PM
When UTG+1 raised draws in position during previous hands, did he take the free card on the turn?

If not, then there's a good chance he'll charge himself to draw anyway, if he is, and you can check-call and avoid getting raised those times that you're the one who's drawing.

Unless Villain is really loose, by the way, there aren't really that many hand combinations of draws available, and I think a made hand of some sort is more likely (top pair or a pocket pair).

In any event, the river card is scary enough (especially versus a PFR) that I kind of want to lead. I wouldn't enjoy getting raised, though, and it looks like that might have happened.

private joker
09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
I'd fold to the turn raise. I don't see him raising on draws twice, so I doubt you have the best hand. And all you can improve to is top pair, which might not be good enough.