PDA

View Full Version : Hero dilemma with raggedy flush...from a friend ($2/$4)

Peter Harris
09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Hey all,
I've been working the 6max tables, so apologies for my absence, i've been scouring the HUSH forum.

Here's a ring hand from a friend; we disagreed specifically on the turn action. What do you think?

Apologies for formatting, but it's my own handiwork.

Party Poker 2/4 HE, 10 handed.

Hero is Button holding Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Preflop: 3 folds, MP1 (fishy) calls, 2 folds, CO (tightish, ok postflop) calls, Hero Calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop (4 players, Pot 4.5SB): 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, Hero Bets, BB calls, MP1 folds, CO calls.

Turn (3 players, Pot 3.5BB): 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif [9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
BB checks, CO checks, Hero Bets, BB calls, CO check-raises, Hero.... (pot currently 7.5BB)

This is where our play diverged. What would you do here and what are your plans for the river? What do you make of BB's turn call?

Best Regards,
Pete Harris

hemstock
09-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Cap and lead the river if the board does not pair.
Call a raise.

Paxosmotic
09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
I go into immediate call down. We stand to lose a lot to a K or A high flush and only win a little from a weaker flush (who will know about our flush as soon as we click 3-bet and thus shut down). Villain has a flush about as often as I suckout on Eeegah : always.

thesharpie
09-06-2005, 10:03 PM
If he does have you beat he's not that good, he should be betting that flop. If you have him beat and he has something like a set he's also not that good since he should be betting that flop.

Nick C
09-06-2005, 10:05 PM
CO's probably got something pretty good. If it's a flush, then A /images/graemlins/club.gif X /images/graemlins/club.gif is the most likely one. Aside from J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif, there just isn't much in the way of available flush hands that we beat that are popular among tightish players, given the cards that we know.

CO could have 65s or a slowplayed (or turned) set or maybe overcards that include a single big club, so I don't mind a 3-bet.

I'm also okay with just calling, though.

Peter Harris
09-06-2005, 10:06 PM
so given villian is a pillock, your turn action is...

Nick C
09-06-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he does have you beat he's not that good, he should be betting that flop. If you have him beat and he has something like a set he's also not that good since he should be betting that flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

Peter Harris
09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
3bet you mean. Very aggressive! more so than me, who is 4.7 on the turn at 6max. Gosh.

@bsolute_luck
09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
i'm firing again especially with BB caught in between (possibly looking for that 4th /images/graemlins/club.gif) and i'm not convinced we're not best yet.

Paxosmotic
09-06-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, yeah, I think we all agree that villain isn't particularly great at poker, but what about hero, who is good at poker, and who is faced with a check-raise?

Nick C
09-06-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, yeah, I think we all agree that villain isn't particularly great at poker, but what about hero, who is good at poker, and who is faced with a check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm torn. I really want to 3-bet, but I would actually probably just start calling down.

Peter Harris
09-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Results:

Hero called turn and river, Opponent shows J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif for the flush we could beat. BB had nothing worth mentioning!

I advocated a turn 3-bet (thinking 65s, 77, very maybe just JT clubs); if capped call river, if called then checked to on river bet anything other than club/board pair. Nick C's response was excellent, i always love his posts. and yes, no flop bet from villain was inexcusable.

Thanks for the comments.

Regards,
Pete Harris

afk
09-06-2005, 10:53 PM
I 3bet and call down if it's capped. Flush over flush is rare and you're only worried about two better flushes. Villain could have made his straight draw or could be check-raising a flopped set or two pair or some other wacky hand.