PDA

View Full Version : AQo small blind, did i miss my chance(s) to take this down?

mike l.
04-23-2003, 07:22 PM
very good 20-40 game. i am playing pretty tight and doing well. this hand involves me and the BB. here's all i know about the BB: in a previous hand a losing weak passive older woman openraised from the button and this guy made it 3 bets w/ 76o from the sb.

anyhow, in this hand this guy has now moved to just on my left. preflop there are 3 limpers and then the button a decent player raises, i just call w/ AQo and the bb calls w/ 4c3c. limpers all call. 7 handed.

the flop is JhTh3d. i check, bb bets his bottom pair, everyone, including the button folds around to me and i call.

the turn is a J. i check, he bets, i call.

the river is a 9. i check w/ the intention of calling and he checks his bottom pair and takes it down.

comments?

mikelow
04-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Did you see the big blind's cards? Even if you didn't, you missed a pretty obvious turn checkraise.

mike l.
04-23-2003, 11:16 PM
"Did you see the big blind's cards?"

no i didnt see his cards, i just wanted to present that info right off the bat. in the heat of the hand i thought he might have a flush draw no pair.

"Even if you didn't, you missed a pretty obvious turn checkraise."

i dont think a turn checkraise wouldve folded him because the J on the turn is not a scary card at all.

cosmo kramer
04-23-2003, 11:54 PM
I agree that a turn checkraise would not have worked. The only way I see you taking this one is with a flop checkraise and a bet on the turn. You desribed how he played preflop, but how does he play postflop? Is he the type that would call down with bottom pair on this board or fold to pressure?

andyfox
04-24-2003, 02:15 AM
Helluva game where there are 3 limpers, a raiser and both blinds in a hand and a flop that contains JhTh missed everyone.

If you intended to call the river, why not bet it? While the turn jack probably wouldn't have worried him given your check-call on the flop, perhaps the nine would have, putting a 3-straight on board.

No chance of losing any limpers or the BB if you 3-bet pre-flop?

elysium
04-24-2003, 02:28 AM
hi mike
yes, bet-out on the river if you're going to call, or check-raise the turn of course. you remind me of my opponent a few days ago who called me with Q high. i was bluffing with Q high and we split the pot. she couldn't understand why i was pulling my hair out.

mike l.
04-24-2003, 01:22 PM
"i was bluffing with Q high and we split the pot. she couldn't understand why i was pulling my hair out."

i dont understand either. ive called w/ Q high and won and in january i was playing 30 at bellagio and called a guy w/ Q9 high on the river and we chopped the pot. i posted here and was told why didnt i raise the river? my answer: becuase i thought Q9 was enough to take it all down yet i didnt want to risk an extra bet in case he had a pair or ace high or let him have a chance to reraise me (slim as that was).

mike l.
04-24-2003, 01:34 PM
"If you intended to call the river, why not bet it?"

cause i thought there'd be more value in letting a heart draw that missed bluff the river. plus i felt he would check behind better hands (like a 9hxh hand that got there or a T lame kicker), but would definitely call me if he had anything cause he could put me on a busted heart draw.

"No chance of losing any limpers or the BB if you 3-bet pre-flop?"

(said in best balki from "perfect strangers" voice): "dont be ridiculous!"