PDA

View Full Version : met Dr Al Schoonmaker here at Vegas, great guy in person also.

steamboatin
09-06-2005, 08:41 PM
SUP Dr AL. It was good to meet you.

mosquito
09-06-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SUP Dr AL. It was good to meet you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume Steamtroll did not make the trip.......

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-06-2005, 11:26 PM
I hope you get to the WPDG.

Al Schoonmaker
09-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Unfortunately, we met on Monday night, and he was leaving on Tuesday.

If any 2+2er comes to Las Vegas, plan to include a Wednesday in your trip. I know that Milo makes a point of including a Wednesday.

The WPDG is a GREAT bunch of people, and you are welcome to our meetings. We have had visitors from all over America, Europe, Asia, and even the South Pacific islands. You can read about us at wpdglv.com.

I hope to see you there.

Al

Jorge10
09-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Were do you guys meet?

ThaHero
09-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey Dr. Al,

I saw you playing a couple weeks ago, and almost said something. Figured I'd just keep my mouth shut as you were playing AND eating at the same time. You were also taking notes too I think, looked pretty busy. Maybe I'll see ya again since I'm in Vegas so often. One of the dealers pointed you out to me, I didn't even know it was you.

oh, and whats WPDG?

steamboatin
09-07-2005, 11:56 AM
wednesday poker discussion group. Starts in about 5 hours.

tdarko
09-07-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
great guy in person also.

[/ QUOTE ]
wouldn't expect anything else.

Al Schoonmaker
09-13-2005, 03:36 AM
Most of the time we meet at Binion's in the basement coffee shop from 2 to 5 on Wednesday. We have a separate room in the back.

Occasionally, we meet elsewhere to have a private game or tournament, a dinner, or something else. If you're going to be in Las Vegas and would like to attend a meeting, you can just go there. To play it safe, you might send me a PM to confirm that the meeting will be at Binion's.

Hope to see you there.

Al

scalf
09-13-2005, 07:48 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif but; does he have a gr8 sense of humour???

lolgl /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

steamboatin
09-13-2005, 01:21 PM
suprisingly good for an academic.

darydarling
09-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Steamboatin it was nice to meet you as well.

MicroBob
09-29-2005, 05:06 PM
You've had some pretty noteworthy guests at this group I believe I once read....but I can't recall who they were.

How many people do you have attending these meetings?
Seems pretty interesting if you ask me.

That's one difference that has just occured to me between poker and chess.
I used to play in a couple of different chess clubs and it really was more of a combination of 'semi-serious' play AND a discussion/social group.
Then you'd see some of your friends at the bigger tournaments in (and perhaps outside) your area and would obviously pull for each other and lend support.

There was really some camaraderie there.

Whereas in poker you are mostly sitting with a bunch of strangers and it's not as much a 'discussion' group as it is "I'm better than you so let me tell you how terrible you played."

In chess there are semi-concrete ratings so you pretty much know whether you suck or not.
Consequently, the atmosphere is more on everyone trying to improve...and when you make a mistake and lose TRYING to figure out how and why you made that mistake (very similar to the discussion at 2+2 of course).

In poker there's obviously a lot of self-deception going on regarding one's own talents and it's often-times more about "how much everyone else sucks and how lucky everyone always seems to get only against me."

So a discussion group involving poker people who have gotten beyond that stage of always thinking they are better than everyone else could, I suspect, put it closer to the chess-clubs as I've been involved in them.

steamboatin
09-29-2005, 05:21 PM
I got the impression there was a very broad range of skill levels at the group. The hand discussions were a little sparce mostly because they had scheduled Dr Al to give a talk but there were no bad beat stories. After the talk there was a good discussion about moving up in limits and why some of us want to move up. Was it to make more money? A competitive challenge or an ego trip, etc.?

09-29-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got the impression there was a very broad range of skill levels at the group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very tue. I have been to several meetings now. They remind me of a cross between a social club, and true stuctured discussion group.

Each person will get a different amount out of attendance, but everyone should get something valuable out of it. The question is how valuable your time is, compared to what the meeting is worth.

It clearly works the best when there are a few expert players on hand, which there usually are. Lower skill players talking amongst themselves rarely focus on the right points, the expert can interject ideas as needed.

Expert players get the opp to use the group as a sounding board for talks they need to give, or to promote lessons, or to get ideas/insight for columns and so on.

Plus the social aspect is pretty nice.