PDA

View Full Version : Laundry Detergent

Evan
09-06-2005, 07:47 PM
I just went to Walgreen's (pharmacy in case some don't know) and realized that I will soon need detergent since I'm running out of clean clothes and I don't have any at the moment. I walked over to the aisle and remembered that I never know which one to buy. There are 15 different kinds and as far as I can tell they're all perfect for me.

Does anyone have a compelling reason to buy one over another? Does one make it harder to [censored] up your clothes? That would be ideal.

stabn
09-06-2005, 07:49 PM
My mother always bought whatever was on sale so i do too. I don't usually watch prices on most goods but since i can't really tell the difference in this area i might as well save a few bucks a year.

unreal_nh
09-06-2005, 07:50 PM
they're all the same just get the cheapest

09-06-2005, 07:50 PM
the only time i need detergent is when i need to wash the blood of the enemies of the United States off my god-fearing uniform.

istewart
09-06-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the only time i need detergent is when i need to wash the blood of the enemies of the United States off my god-fearing uniform.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

BottlesOf
09-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Get your laundry done for you. It's < $1/ lb. Therefore, it's only marginally more expensive than doing it yourself. Plus, you don't have to waste time a) doing laundry b) folding laundry. It also comes out way better.

mslif
09-06-2005, 08:50 PM
I use Tide. It smells good /images/graemlins/grin.gif

peachy
09-06-2005, 10:16 PM
u can use the kind i use...either a laundry service or Victoria Secret

if u cant afford the Victoria Secret lol use the smell good Arm and Hammer kind...itll get anything out

Voltron87
09-06-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thumbs up.

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thumbs up.

[/ QUOTE ]

please read all his posts. you'll be sorry you encouraged him.

edtost
09-06-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get your laundry done for you. It's < $1/ lb. Therefore, it's only marginally more expensive than doing it yourself. Plus, you don't have to waste time a) doing laundry b) folding laundry. It also comes out way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

cokehead
09-06-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, though it should be closer to $.50/lb

scrub
09-06-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently discovered this. What a revelation.

scrub

Evan
09-07-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I guess this is likely what I'll do.

Does anyone have any recommendations of places in the Union Square east area? I live on 14th between 3rd and 4th so something that wouldn't be a terrible walk with a bag of clothes is preferable. Thanks.

stinkypete
09-07-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you just inspired me.

nolanfan34
09-07-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
u can use the kind i use... Victoria Secret

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly this is the correct answer, for all of those delicates that Evan likely has.

lucas9000
09-07-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thumbs up.

[/ QUOTE ]

please read all his posts. you'll be sorry you encouraged him.

[/ QUOTE ]

jake is correct.

DasLeben
09-07-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm seriously cracking up here.

09-07-2005, 01:02 AM
You just go to a dry cleaning place or what?

09-07-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unlucky513
09-07-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sfer
09-07-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I guess this is likely what I'll do.

Does anyone have any recommendations of places in the Union Square east area? I live on 14th between 3rd and 4th so something that wouldn't be a terrible walk with a bag of clothes is preferable. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That has to be the loudest dorm in human history.

Just meander around until you find a dry cleaner and ask them for their laundry rate. They're not gonna mess up your clothes any worse than you would.

RollaJ
09-07-2005, 11:00 AM
http://roseburgmarket.com/catalog/images/icons/arrow_right.gif

And its really not even close

RollaJ
09-07-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you just inspired me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shop around, $1/lb is expensive. My Chinaman does it for $.50/lb..... I love Mr.Kim

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shop around, $1/lb is expensive. My Chinaman does it for $.50/lb..... I love Mr.Kim

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't Kim a Korean name?

MrWookie47
09-07-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My Chinaman does it for $.50/lb..... I love Mr.Kim

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. Asian American is the preferred nomenclature.

Claunchy
09-07-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Asian-American is the preferred nomenclature.

Dammit. Late.

BottlesOf
09-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Yea, you could, although those tend to be a bit pricier. Better is to go to a laundromat where they advertise "Wash & Fold"

RollaJ
09-07-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't Kim a Korean name?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF do I know, maybe his Grandfather was Korean?

IndieMatty
09-07-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, you could, although those tend to be a bit pricier. Better is to go to a laundromat where they advertise "Wash & Fold"

[/ QUOTE ]

Good work, JBB. If you make a wage decent enough to live in New York, you should never do your own laundry. What is it, $10 bucks a week at most?

Evan
09-07-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, during the day it is pretty noisy (police sirens, car horns, etc.), but thankfully It hasn't been bad at night when I was trying to sleep.

[ QUOTE ]
Just meander around until you find a dry cleaner and ask them for their laundry rate.

[/ QUOTE ]
My goal was to do as little meandering as possible, but it looks like I'm left with no other option.

peachy
09-07-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, during the day it is pretty noisy (police sirens, car horns, etc.), but thankfully It hasn't been bad at night when I was trying to sleep.

[ QUOTE ]
Just meander around until you find a dry cleaner and ask them for their laundry rate.

[/ QUOTE ]
My goal was to do as little meandering as possible, but it looks like I'm left with no other option.

[/ QUOTE ]

ask people in ur dorm, at the front desk, ask a store, etc, if u dont wanna wonder around

sfer
09-07-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In NYC, you'll have to meander maybe 1 block before finding a place that will do your laundry.

Also, since you're now "local," Old Town when?

Evan
09-07-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Tonight?

sfer
09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Tonight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Depends on work.

sfer
09-07-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good work, JBB. If you make a wage decent enough to live in New York, you should never do your own laundry. What is it, $10 bucks a week at most?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to convince Tha' JBB to start doing his own laundry?

IndieMatty
09-07-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. I say anyone who does their own laundry in NY are chumps.

sfer
09-07-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a chump.

Evan
09-07-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Tonight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Depends on work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get out of class around 6. I'll call you then.

BottlesOf
09-07-2005, 12:33 PM
For me it's a no-brainer in terms of opportunity cost. The amount of enjoyment I get out of not having to deal with laundry makes it one of my most enjoyable experiences per dollar. In theory, it frees up however much time 4-tabling and it's +EV.

BottlesOf
09-07-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a chump.

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored].

What's "Old Town?"

IndieMatty
09-07-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Tonight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Depends on work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get out of class around 6. I'll call you then.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record the Old Town burger is severely overrated.

IndieMatty
09-07-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No [censored].

What's "Old Town" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old Town Tavern on 18th.

IndieMatty
09-07-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a chump.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding. Why? Is it all your imported $$$ clothes? You probably have laundry in your building, hell even if you had it in your apartment there is still no excuse.

WTF!? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Evan
09-07-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's "Old Town?"

[/ QUOTE ]

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7087478/new_york_ny/old_town_bar.html

Sponger15SB
09-07-2005, 12:37 PM
In case you want an answer to your OP get Tide with Febreeze (?) in it. My mom switched to it recently from something else.

Evan
09-07-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
even if you had it in your apartment there is still no excuse.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I had it inmy apartment I would definitely do it there. Not having to walk somewhere with a bag of clothes would be nice. But if I have to walk somewhere anyway I'd rather walk a little further and have someone do it for me.

sfer
09-07-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a chump.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding. Why? Is it all your imported $$$ clothes? You probably have laundry in your building, hell even if you had it in your apartment there is still no excuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have laundry on my floor. Washing and folding takes minimal time, and I can still play poker or read or whatever else.

IndieMatty
09-07-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a chump.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have laundry on my floor. Washing and folding takes minimal time, and I can still play poker or read or whatever else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Savage.

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I use Tide w/ Bleach.

IndieMatty
09-07-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife uses Tide w/Bleach while I drink beer and watch football..

[/ QUOTE ]

FJP

(Fixed Jakes Post)

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My wife uses Tide w/Bleach while I drink beer and watch football..

[/ QUOTE ]

FJP

(Fixed Jakes Post)

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

09-07-2005, 06:33 PM
ty sir

MaxPower
09-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Manhattan - $1 a pound.

Brooklyn and Queens .50 a pound.

Fluff and fold is the way to go.

RollaJ
09-07-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Manhattan - $1 a pound.

Brooklyn and Queens .50 a pound.

Fluff and fold is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dollar a pound? Thats F-ed up. Its worth it to put your clothes in a cab and send them to brooklyn /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chesspain
09-08-2005, 12:12 AM
See the article in this month's Consumer Reports.