PDA

View Full Version : folded JJ on the bubble to raise+reraise... too tight?

09-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Four players remain in a $30 Paradise SNG. All players have been active in stealing blinds and play has been generally solid, although the table has tightened up significantly on the bubble with 4 roughly equal stacks. In most of the recent hands the preflop raiser has taken down the blinds uncontested.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t2520.00)
BB (t2292.50)
UTG (t2197.50)
Button (t2990.00)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of t100.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t525</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t2990</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: t3815

I would have open-raised JJ or reraised UTG's bet, but facing the raise and reraise, I felt my hand shrunk quite a bit. I would've called QQ or higher but felt JJ was right on the edge... Would you have called?

Interestingly enough, after the hand UTG said he folded KJ and button said he had JJ! Not sure which one was lying, although based on earlier chats I'd be more likely to believe UTG.

09-06-2005, 05:54 PM
I'd fold too. Since everyone has been pretty tight, the reraiser must have something good, AK-AQ or a higher PP most likely.

mlagoo
09-06-2005, 06:03 PM
I think I'd fold here. Obviously for one raise you are coming over the top for all your chips, and for an open push you are calling, but if he is a typical player, his range here is reasonably small (I would say something like 77-AA, AT+, KQ+), possibly smaller. He is pushing on an UTG raise with two left to act.

I just hate CALLING in positions where I only think I'm slightly ahead of their range. And I mean it when I say that the above range is pretty liberal. So I think it's a fold. It's probably close though. I need to go drink beers, but I'm sure someone can pokerstove it.

BigHobo
09-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Normally raise+re-raise means that JJ is an easy fold, but on the bubble I don't think I fold this. The only hands you are a dog to are QQ KK AA and I think a re-raise all-in in that circumstance would not be consistent with those hands (maybe QQ). I think it's likely that you're looking at an underpair or two higher cards. In addition, with both a raiser and re-raiser it's likely that they have some of each other's outs.

golfcchs
09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
I fold this knowing it is a close call, but if the blinds were one level higher I push.

golfcchs
09-06-2005, 06:19 PM
I like your line here and there is a good chance you have the best hand, but I think you fold here because you have such a big advantage on the bubble especially when the blinds go up next round.

Pudge714
09-06-2005, 09:40 PM
AK AQ makes more sense in my opinion the QQ+AA. I play the thirties on FTP and most people wouldn't reraise that much with QQ-AA. That being said you should rarely be calling all in with a little money invested into the pot racing so I fold.

09-06-2005, 11:29 PM
The all-in raise threw me off. If everyone's been playing tight, why raise so much? From the button's perspective, the pot was 825 and he called the 525 and raised an additional 2465 -- it puts the opponents whole stack at risk but he could've accomplished that with a smaller raise since any potential caller would be pot-committed.

AA,KK would likely raise less to encourage action, unless the intent was to represent a steal in an attempt to get someone to call with a weaker hand. I don't think this is likely though, because it would chase out weaker hands that would call a smaller raise (like my JJ).

QQ-77 the raise makes more sense, because he'll have fold equity unless someone holds AK or a larger pair.

AK or AQs were possible also, with the raise giving FE and 5 cards to beat a smaller pair.

If I was more involved in the pot or the blinds were higher I probably would've called, reluctantly. A few hands later (blinds were 150-300) I open raised on the button with 88, the BB (UTG from this example) moved all-in, I called and lost the race to AQ, and never fully recovered from my short stack.